Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Trim the sentence containing colon and period to extract a word in between Post 302475427 by cabrao on Sunday 28th of November 2010 06:17:31 PM
Old 11-28-2010
Code:
$ echo sampleword1:samplewor2.sampleword3 | awk 'NR==var' var=2 RS=[:.]
samplewor2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Truncate the word from a sentence

Hi, The first line of a file is as follows: example.4ge v.45352 Report for April 28 May 2010 I need to remove the word example.4ge v.45353 from that line. I used the following command to truncate it sed 's/example.4ge v.45352//g' $filename But here the version number 45352 may... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you split a sentence after every nth word

Hi, I think my problem is a "simple" one to resolve. What i am looking for is a way in sed/awk to split a long line/paragraph into say 5 words per line. For example: Sentence/paragraph contains: 102 103 104 105 106 107 109 110 .... I would like the output to be (if splitting every 5... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: muay_tb
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get the fifth line of a text file into a shell script and trim the line to extract a WORD

FOLKS , i have a text file that is generated automatically of an another korn shell script, i want to bring in the fifth line of the text file in to my korn shell script and look for a particular word in the line . Can you all share some thoughts on this one. thanks... Venu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: venu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract from a long sentence

Hi, There's a long sentence from which I need to extract only the part which is at the right side of the word LENGTH i.e. 15 long sentence : <INPUT VAR1 ="" DATATYPE ="number(p,s)" VAR2 ="" VAR3 ="3" VAR4="0" VAR5 ="ELEMITEM" VAR6 ="NO" VAR7 ="NOT A KEY" VAR8 ="17" LEVEL ="0" NAME... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a field from a long sentence!

Hi, I want to extract the value of LENGTH column (high-lighted in red) from a file which will have several lines as shown below: <INPUT VAR1 ="" DATATYPE ="number(p,s)" VAR2 ="" VAR3 ="3" VAR4="0" VAR5 ="ELEMITEM" VAR6 ="NO" VAR7 ="NOT A KEY" VAR8 ="17" LEVEL ="0" NAME ="UNIX" NULLABLE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a word from sentence

$SET_PARAMS='-param Run_Type_Parm=Month -param Portfolio_Parm="997" -param From_Date_Parm="2011-08-09"' Want to extract the value of "Portfolio_Parm" from $SET_PARAMS i.e in the above case "997" & assigned to new variable. The existence order of "Portfolio"Parm" can change, but the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SujeethP
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED (or other) upper to lowercase, with first letter of first word in each sentence uppercase

The title pretty much defines the problem. I have text files that are all in caps. I would like to convert them to lowercase, but have the first letter of the first word in each sentence in uppercase. I already have SED on the server for fixing / tweaking text files, but I'm open to other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dockline
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove First word of a sentence in shell

Hi there, How I remove the first word of a sentence. I have tried. echo '1.1;' ; echo "$one" | grep '1.1 ' | awk '{print substr($0,index($0," ")+1)}' For the below input. 1.1 Solaris 10 8/07 s10s_u4wos_12b SPARC Just want to know if there is any shorter alternative. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print one sentence 40 to 50 words end with period in a file

Hi All, Is there another way to achieve this? how get short phrase in a sentence with character count of 100 to 155 words end with period but don't end something like 50,000. . Here's my current script but the output is not good. This will use for my snippets or preview. grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract only relevant part from a sentence?

Hello All, I have a file with details such as below. How do i extract only the host and port ? eg: dbs.ads.com 1521 (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=dbs.ads.com)(PORT=1521))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=vug)))... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JohnJacobChacko
5 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)