Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix/Solaris security?
Operating Systems Solaris Unix/Solaris security? Post 302475403 by snchaudhari2 on Sunday 28th of November 2010 03:43:38 PM
Old 11-28-2010
ok.

So overall is hacker can't decrypt the passwords.....

and unix is secure... Is that so......

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Solaris vs Linux Security

have a look: http://www.softpanorama.org/Solaris/Whitepaper/index.shtml#Executive_Summary gP (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pressy
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 8 security log issue

Hi all, I'm using Solaris 8 right now. Recently I've a task that needs to log down all unsuccessful login to a log for auditing purpose. What steps do I have to take to log down all login failure logs? Do I've to edit a certain file for it or done by the X-window mode? BTW, do I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heero
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 9 security

Hi all, I have some questions for you about Solaris 9 security (if you also know the answers for Red Hat enterprise linux 3 et HP UX 11i, this would help too). I have already found many documents about general UNIX security, but some points are still obscure. Please take time to try to help... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaclof
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris user Security implementation

Hi gurus, Need you help here: How we can implement I have edited /etc/default/login as TIMEOUT=60 But user is not Logged out after 60 sec inactivity. How we can implement this? e.g 3 bad passwords and the user is locked. And it is locked for certain period e.g 20 min. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Asteroid
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solaris Security toolkit to mysql

Hi every body! Any one ever tried to inject the output of JASS into mysql or know of a method or script to do this Thk Dan (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ex-Capsa
0 Replies
chpasswd(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       chpasswd(8)

NAME
chpasswd - change user passwords in batch SYNOPSIS
chpasswd [-D binddn] [-P path] [-c des|md5|blowfish | -e] [file] DESCRIPTION
chpasswd changes passwords for user accounts in batch. It reads a list of login and password pairs from standard input or a file and uses this information to update the passwords of this user accounts. The named account must exist and the password age will be updated. Each input line is of the format: user_name:password If the hash algorithmus is not given on the commandline, the value of GROUP_CRYPT or, if not specified, CRYPT from /etc/default/passwd is used as hash algorithmus. If not configured, the traditinal des algorithmus is used. OPTIONS
-c des|md5|blowfish This option specifies the hash algorithmus, which should be used to encrypt the passwords. -e The passwords are expected to be in encrypted form. Normally the passwords are expected to be cleartext. -D, --binddn binddn Use the Distinguished Name binddn to bind to the LDAP directory. The user will be prompted for a password for simple authentica- tion. -P, --path path The passwd and shadow files are located below the specified directory path. chpasswd will use this files, not /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. FILES
/etc/default/passwd - default values for password hash SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passwd(5), shadow(5) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils Feburary 2004 chpasswd(8)