Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX How to use dd command to erase the data in disk Post 302475296 by frank_rizzo on Saturday 27th of November 2010 08:27:37 PM
Old 11-27-2010
hopefully these are local disks(SCSI/SSA). if it is SAN - it is still good to wipe the disks but you cannot truly know where the data is behind the scenes. you can also use the diag erase disk procedure.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is there an unrecoverable erase command?

I am "retiring" an old unix box and need to erase all sensitive data so that it can not be recovered. Does anyone know a unix command for this? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snyderpa
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

stty erase e command

I'm not familiar with the stty command. What would "stty erase e" do to my system and what kind of problems would it create? Also, how would I undo this command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CEngel0327
1 Replies

3. SCO

Reading Data from Disk

I have a server with SCO Open Server 5 and I need to copy data files from the hard drive. Can this be completed with a Windows PC with the hard drive connected with a USB caddy? I have no other way to do this. Server not running. TIA Tim (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: taordw
2 Replies

4. AIX

Erase hard disk data

How to erase/format hard disk data in RS6000 AIX PowerPC model 43 :confused: ? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenloong
8 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

"mt erase" command does not work

Hi I have some data in my tape which I want to erase with the command mt erase The process runs for a long time without cleaning data. What can be the problem?? krishan (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishan
2 Replies

6. AIX

Erase hard disk

Hi ... How to erase bootable hard disk in Pseries... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumathi.k
3 Replies

7. AIX

Erase AIX rootvg system disk

Hello all, I need help for erasing IBM P5 machine running AIX 5.3. I have 2 system disks (Hardware mirror) and i'm looking for a way like a LIVE CD bootable CD so I can boot with the cd and then format the system disks with a "secure erase" software. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kobi gabai
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to erase tape data in unix V4.0 D?

hi! my computer is... System: Digital Personal Workstation 433a Processor: Digital Alpha 21164, 433 MHz Memory: 64 MB OS: Digital Unix Console (SRM), Digital Unix V4.0D how to erase tape data? I tried with mt erase but no success. My tape is 120m. So, how can i erase tape? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akz
5 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Can I erase and start my mac with unix command

I made a tragic error and erased the extensions manager from my IMac. Now, I can't get the computer to boot up. It just stays on the gray screen. I've tried using the open apple+s method, which brings up the command console (not sure if I've got the lingo down right), and I've tried everything, but... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccff22290
12 Replies
vxsplitlines(1M)														  vxsplitlines(1M)

NAME
vxsplitlines - show disks with conflicting configuration copies in a cluster SYNOPSIS
vxsplitlines [-g diskgroup] [-c daname] DESCRIPTION
If you import portions of a disk group on different systems, this can lead to conflicting configuration copies on the disks of the disk group. If the configuration information in a disk group is ambiguous, it may not be possible for Veritas Volume Manager to determine which config- uration copy is most up-to-date. (This is usually termed a serial split brain (SSB) condition when it occurs in a cluster.) You cannot import a disk group in this state unless you specify which disk's configuration copy to use. You can use the vxsplitlines command to see which disks in a disk group have conflicting configuration copies, and use this information together with your knowledge of the history of the disk groups' usage to determine which configuration copy is most valid. The output from vxsplitlines displays the vxdg commands that you can run to import the disk group using the available configuration copies. The -o selectcp option of the vxdg import command is used to select the configuration copy to use for the import. OPTIONS
-c daname Display the SSB IDs for each disk that are stored in the configuration copy on the disk specified by its disk access name. Note: Although the SSB IDs for some disks may match, this does not necessarily mean that those disks' configuration copies have recorded all the configuration changes. When viewed from some other configuration copies, the SSB IDs of the same disks may not match. -g diskgroup Specifies the disk group. If a disk group is not specified, the default disk group is used as determined from the rules on the vxdg(1M) manual page. EXAMPLES
Display the disks on each side of the split in the disk group newdg: vxsplitlines -g newdg Display the SSB IDs stored in the configuration copy on disk c2t4d0: vxsplitlines -g newdg -c c2t4d0 NOTES
The vxsplitlines is primarily intended to be used with private disk groups, but it also works with shared disk groups. The version number of the disk group must be 110 or greater. SEE ALSO
vxdg(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Administrator's Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxsplitlines(1M)