Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need to read lines in file and compare value in if not working Post 302475162 by script_op2a on Friday 26th of November 2010 07:39:28 PM
Old 11-26-2010
need to read lines in file and compare value in if not working

Hello,

I have this file that sometime contains 0 lines and sometimes 1 or more.

It's supposed to then put the result (could be 0 or 1 or 2 or more) into a variable.

Then it's supposed to echo using an if else statement depending on the value of the variable.
Code:
flagvar='wc -l $tempfile | awk '{print $1}''

if [ $flagvar != "0" ]; then
   echo $flagvar
else
   echo "the file does not have rows"
fi

The problem is that the tempfile contains 2 rows and it always echoes that
"the file does no have rows."

I've tried $flagvar != "0", I'm wondering if the condition should be a string since the result is printed from awk. (if the "0" is correct).. it I just used the value 0 without the quotes this would just be like $flagvar!=true which is not equal to true.

Last edited by Scott; 11-27-2010 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help! How to compare two lines in a file

Hello, I am newcomer and sorry for this simple question. I want to how to compare two lines in a file? For example, to compare the first line and the second line of a file to know if they are same? Thanks in advance! Leon (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabertooth2000
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read a file and compare

hi how can i read a file using the unix script and check for one or more field value for a predefined status/value for example : the file contains the following text Name IP Address/Mask Type Connection Status mgmt-eth0(1) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I compare the last two lines of a file?

Hi, I want to compare the last two lines of a files, specifically characters 32 - 50 in both lines and generate an exit code if the range of characters do not match. Please advise. Thanks in advance! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: limshady411
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read from a file and compare

i want a shell script to read the a list of numbers from a file and compare with a unique number with the list. FOR EXAMPLE : abc.lst file contains d following 2343 3214 45654 563456 5436 Unique number is 2342 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgmfourms
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read Two lines in a CSV File and Compare

Hi , I have a CSV file ( file.csv) with some data as below: A,1,abc,x,y,z,,xyz,20100101,99991231 A,1,abc,x,y,z,234,xyz,20100101,99991231 I have to delete the duplicate line based on unique identifiers which are values in the fields- 2,3,4,8.These coulmns in both the rows have same... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sheel
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare lines within a file

could someone write a short script which is able to take a text file input and compare lines 1 and 2, 3 and 4, 5 and 6 ... ... until the end of the file. And to prompt if the lines are not equal. Thank you! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_lady
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

When reading a csv file, counter to read 20 lines and wait for minute then read next 20 till end

Hello All, i am a newbie and need some help when reading a csv file in a bourne shell script. I want to read 10 lines, then wait for a minute and then do a reading of another 10 lines and so on in the same way. I want to do this till the end of file. Any inputs are appreciated ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: victor.s
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re: Read lines and compare in a loop

I have a file which has following content: NAME=ora.DG1.dg TYPE=ora.diskgroup.type TARGET=ONLINE STATE=ONLINE NAME=ora.DG2.dg TYPE=ora.diskgroup.type TARGET=ONLINE STATE=ONLINE NAME=ora.DG3.dg TYPE=ora.diskgroup.type TARGET=ONLINE STATE=ONLINE NAME=ora.DG4.dg... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcc50886
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files and extract the data which is present in other file - awk is not working

file2 content f1file2 content f1,1,2,3,4,5 f1,2,4,6,8,10 f10,1,2,3,4,5 f10,2,4,6,8,10 f5,1,2,3,4,5 f5,2,4,6,8,10awk 'FNR==NR{a;next}; !($1 in a)' file2 file1output f10,1,2,3,4,5 f10,2,4,6,8,10 f5,1,2,3,4,5 f5,2,4,6,8,10awk 'FNR==NR{a;next}; ($1 in a)' file2 file1output nothing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Read two file and compare the line

Hello Guys I need to read and compare two file, one file contains hostname, and others contain hostname and IP@, and the objective is to read each file and compare if line in file1 equal to first word in the second file2 file1 file2 this is my first code fqdn_hosts=list.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abdellah
2 Replies
RABBITMQ-ENV.CONF(5)						  RabbitMQ Server					      RABBITMQ-ENV.CONF(5)

NAME
rabbitmq-env.conf - default settings for RabbitMQ AMQP server DESCRIPTION
/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-env.conf contains variable settings that override the defaults built in to the RabbitMQ startup scripts. The file is interpreted by the system shell, and so should consist of a sequence of shell environment variable definitions. Normal shell syntax is permitted (since the file is sourced using the shell "." operator), including line comments starting with "#". In order of preference, the startup scripts get their values from the environment, from /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-env.conf and finally from the built-in default values. For example, for the RABBITMQ_NODENAME setting, RABBITMQ_NODENAME from the environment is checked first. If it is absent or equal to the empty string, then NODENAME from /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-env.conf is checked. If it is also absent or set equal to the empty string then the default value from the startup script is used. The variable names in /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-env.conf are always equal to the environment variable names, with the RABBITMQ_ prefix removed: RABBITMQ_NODE_PORT from the environment becomes NODE_PORT in the /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-env.conf file, etc. # I am a complete /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-env.conf file. # Comment lines start with a hash character. # This is a /bin/sh script file - use ordinary envt var syntax NODENAME=hare SEE ALSO
rabbitmq-server(1) rabbitmqctl(1) EXAMPLES
# I am a complete /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-env.conf file. # Comment lines start with a hash character. # This is a /bin/sh script file - use ordinary envt var syntax NODENAME=hare This is an example of a complete /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-env.conf file that overrides the default Erlang node name from "rabbit" to "hare". AUTHOR
The RabbitMQ Team <info@rabbitmq.com> RabbitMQ Server 06/22/2012 RABBITMQ-ENV.CONF(5)