Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove one of each similar lines in a file Post 302474170 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 23rd of November 2010 01:20:41 PM
Old 11-23-2010
Code:
awk -F\| 'A[$1]++==1' f1 f2

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort a file and then print similar lines once

Hi! I have a trouble with the sort and the uniq. I know I have to use them, I just have trouble with putting them in the right order. I have a text file with unsorted lines (each line has a few words, the first word in the line is a number.). I need to sort this file in order to be... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
6 Replies

2. Infrastructure Monitoring

Remove Similar Lines from a File

I have a log file "logreport" that contains several lines as seen below: 04:20:00 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but responded to ping 06:38:08 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but responded to ping 07:11:05 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
4 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Remove Similar entries in a File

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a log file "logreport" that contains several lines as seen below: 04:20:00 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared dead but responded to ping 06:38:08 /usr/lib/snmp/snmpdx: Agent snmpd appeared... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nysif Steve
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting similar lines from file UNIX

I have a file which contains data as below: nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/RMBS/RMBSHome.jsf nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/RMBS/RMBSHome.jsf nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/RMBS/RMBSHome.jsf nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/RMBS/RMBSHome.jsf nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/common/index.jsf nbk1j7o pageName=/jsp/common/index.jsf nbk1wqe... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohsin.quazi
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

merge lines within a file that start with a similar pattern

Hello! i have a text file.. which contains the data as follows i want to merge the declarations lines pertaining to one datatype in to a single line as follows i've searched the forum for help.. but couldn't find much help.. how can i do this?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: a_ba
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Matching and reporting near-similar lines in a file

Hi, I have a file with the lines as below: C_10_A05_T7 C_10_A06_SP6 C_10_B05_SP6 C_10_B05_T7 C_10_B01_SP6 C_10_B01_T7 C_12_G07_SP6 C_12_G11_SP6 C_12_G11_T7 C_2_H18_T7 C_2_I02_SP6 C_2_I02_T7 C_2_I13_SP6 C_2_I17_SP6 The four segments of each line are connected by '_' symbols. I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

extracting lines from a file with similar first name

consider i have two files cat onlyviews1.sql CREATE VIEW V11 AS SELECT id, name, FROM etc etc WHERE etc etc; CREATE VIEW V22 AS SELECT id, name, FROM etc etc WHERE etc etc; CREATE VIEW V33 AS (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing lines with similar values from file

Hello, got a file with this structure: 33274 171030 02/29/2012 37897 P_GEH 2012-02-29 10:31:26 33275 171049 02/29/2012 38132 P_GEH 2012-02-29 10:35:27 33276 171058 02/29/2012 38515 P_GEH 2012-02-29 10:43:26 33277 170748 02/29/2012 40685 P_KOM ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krecik28
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reducing text file using similar lines

Hello, I am a java programmer but want to try unix for a purpose where I need to reduce a file using its first field.. Here is the sample data: admin;2;0;; admission;8;0;; aman;1;0;; caroline;0;4;; cook;0;4;; cook;2;0;; far;0;3;; far;1;5;; I am explaining the dataset first. There... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to remove all lines but not latest 50 lines from a file

Hi, I have a huge file which has Lacs of lines. File system got full. I want your guys help to suggest me a solution so that I can remove all lines from that file but not last 50,000 lines. I want solution which can remove lines from existing file so that I can have some space left with. (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
28 Replies
regex(1F)							   FMLI Commands							 regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)