Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Umount of a "busy" disk
Operating Systems Linux Umount of a "busy" disk Post 302473971 by dhzdh on Tuesday 23rd of November 2010 02:34:06 AM
Old 11-23-2010
Bug Can't shut down Samba

Thanks for responding.

If I could have shut Samba up, then there would be no problem, since a Samba process is the one that keeps this file system busy.

I have tried using smbcontrol to close down the specific share that is the one we want to remove. It didn't cause Samba to close the connection either.

I have considered killing the smbd process that handles the client that accesses this share, but the problem is that the same client may use another share at the same time. I feared that killing the process will impair other I/O operations done by the same client to the other shares.
Nonetheless, this is an alternative that is still under consideration if I will not be able to come out with a better solution.

---------- Post updated at 09:34 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:36 AM ----------

I have retried smbcontrol, and it seems that if I give it the actual process number of the smbd process that opens the exported directory then it works.
Giving it the "smbd" as the process name does not work, as i specified earlier.

I am going to explore this method and I hope it solves my problem.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Help:"Bad checksum in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package"?

Hello, I'm brand new to Sun/Solaris. I have a Sun Blade 150, with SunOS 5.8. I wanted to make a backup to prevent future data loss, so I put the disk in a normal PC with Windows XP to try to make a backup with Norton Ghost, the disk was detected, but not the file volume, so I place the disk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Resadija
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX rm -rf error "rm: cannot remove `filename' : Device or resource busy"

Hi Everyone, I am trying to remove a directory: $ rm -rf directory_name/ rm: cannot remove `directory_name/filename': Device or resource busy What does this mean, and why can't I remove these files? I already tried moving into the directory, and removing the files individually, but I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna_Z
7 Replies

5. Solaris

"Device busy" When Reopening Serial Port

Any help much appreciated. I am a Java developer, not a Solaris adept. I'm having an issue reopening serial port with the Java app I am developing. I develop in Windows and deploy the app on Solaris 10 (Sunfire X4170 with Xeon.) On the target machine my app uses the two serial ports... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jim Ryan
11 Replies

6. SCO

NFS umount shows the "Device busy (Error 16)"

Hi there After making a backup copy of it sometimes happens that when I want to unmount an NFS indicates the error:umount: /path_mount busy: Device busy (Error 16) if I run lsoff, I can not find the process that is blocking the application. I'm using OpenServer 5.0.2c as one NFS server ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
14 Replies

7. Solaris

How to remove a LUN in "Online Busy" state?

Hi all, I have a LUN that is in "Online Busy" when I issue the dev_gestate subcommand of luxadm: root@es088wb6:~# luxadm -v -e dev_getstate /dev/rdsk/c21t50050763090887FEd4s2 phys path = "/devices/pci@6c0/pci@1/pci@0/pci@4/SUNW,qlc@0/fp@0,0/ssd@w50050763090887fe,4:c,raw" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ludiegu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
SMBCONTROL(1)															     SMBCONTROL(1)

NAME
smbcontrol - send messages to smbd, nmbd or winbindd processes SYNOPSIS
smbcontrol [ -d <debug level> ] [ -s <smb config file> ] -i smbcontrol [ -d <debug level> ] [ -s <smb config file> ] destination message-type [ parameter ] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the Samba suite. smbcontrol is a very small program, which sends messages to an smbd(8) an nmbd(8) or a winbindd(8) daemon running on the system. OPTIONS
-d <debuglevel> debuglevel is an integer from 0 to 10. -s <smb.conf> This parameter specifies the pathname to the Samba configuration file, smb.conf(5) This file controls all aspects of the Samba set- up on the machine. -i Run interactively. Individual commands of the form destination message-type parameters can be entered on STDIN. An empty command line or a "q" will quit the program. destination One of nmbd smbd or a process ID. The smbd destination causes the message to "broadcast" to all smbd daemons. The nmbd destination causes the message to be sent to the nmbd daemon specified in the nmbd.pid file. If a single process ID is given, the message is sent to only that process. message-type One of: close-share, debug, force-election, ping , profile, debuglevel, profilelevel, or printer-notify. The close-share message-type sends a message to smbd which will then close the client connections to the named share. Note that this doesn't affect client connections to any other shares. This message-type takes an argument of the share name for which client con- nections will be closed, or the "*" character which will close all currently open shares. This may be useful if you made changes to the access controls on the share. This message can only be sent to smbd. The debug message-type allows the debug level to be set to the value specified by the parameter. This can be sent to any of the des- tinations. The force-election message-type can only be sent to the nmbd destination. This message causes the nmbd daemon to force a new browse master election. The ping message-type sends the number of "ping" messages specified by the parameter and waits for the same number of reply "pong" messages. This can be sent to any of the destinations. The profile message-type sends a message to an smbd to change the profile settings based on the parameter. The parameter can be "on" to turn on profile stats collection, "off" to turn off profile stats collection, "count" to enable only collection of count stats (time stats are disabled), and "flush" to zero the current profile stats. This can be sent to any smbd or nmbd destinations. The debuglevel message-type sends a "request debug level" message. The current debug level setting is returned by a "debuglevel" message. This can be sent to any of the destinations. The profilelevel message-type sends a "request profile level" message. The current profile level setting is returned by a "pro- filelevel" message. This can be sent to any smbd or nmbd destinations. The printer-notify message-type sends a message to smbd which in turn sends a printer notify message to any Windows NT clients con- nected to a printer. This message-type takes an argument of the printer name to send notify messages to. This message can only be sent to smbd. parameters any parameters required for the message-type VERSION
This man page is correct for version 2.2 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
nmbd(8) and smbd(8) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/ <URL:ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/>) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter 19 November 2002 SMBCONTROL(1)