Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Sizing p7 systems
Operating Systems AIX Sizing p7 systems Post 302473843 by thefarside2004 on Monday 22nd of November 2010 02:50:37 PM
Old 11-22-2010
Our IBM var ran a tool to capture system utilization during heavy loads.

I would post the link but cannot, I need at least 5 posts.
IBM® Rational® Insight

I am not sure if it cost the company money but it might be one of those spend a little now and save a lot later. Smilie

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Gentoo

Properly Sizing an x86 Server for Internet DNS?

Where I work, we have to very old Alpha boxes running OpenVMS 7. They also have Multinet and are using the BIND component for DNS services. We are planning on retiring those boxes and replacing them with x86 servers running Linux. I've decided to go with Gentoo Linux for this and I've inherited... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

2. AIX

Sizing Mouse Pointer

On AIX machines 4.3, 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 am having trouble seeing the mouse pointer in CDE. Found this on web To change the cursor to a large red X, run the following command . #xsetroot -cursor_name X-cursor -bg red Could someone kindly give me the command line wording to undo the above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: farl
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kinda a noob: Automatic window sizing and placement

I am attempting to create a script that runs automatically upon logging in and opens and places windows in appropriate places. I have the script running such that it starts during login, but I cannot get things how and where I want them. This should be relatively simple, I just can't figure it out... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wydileie
7 Replies

4. Linux

System sizing for X sessions

Hello all. I've been tasked with building a system that will have up to 50 concurrent users connected and using an X session running firefox. Is there some kind of standard sizing model available that will tell me what kind of network/CPU utilization I will be looking at? Or even better some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZekesGarage
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Sun hardware sizing

Hi, Never worked with Sun, but I have been presented to make a decision about Sun server hardware, since the application which we'll be running is not so popular and you guys might not have idea, for reference I can tell you our competitor is running same application (business volume 10 times... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using symbolic link for database MySQL in CentOS, not update sizing

I have no idea what I should set the topic here ==' This is my story, please you there kindly help me I'm quite newbie for this. ================================== My host server is CentOS, I spared 9.9GB for /var path that used by MySQL and...It's full because of heavy load traffic, then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kapom
1 Replies
ADVISE(3PVM)							  PVM Version 3.4						      ADVISE(3PVM)

NAME
pvm_advise() - Controls use of direct task-to-task routing. [In Version 3.2: Replaced by pvm_setopt] SYNOPSIS
C int info = pvm_advise( int route ) Fortran call pvmfadvise( route, info ) PARAMETERS
route Integer advising PVM to set up direct task-to-task links. route options PvmDontRoute 1 Don't allow direct links to this task PvmAllowDirect 2 Allow but don't request direct links PvmRouteDirect 3 Request direct links info Integer returning error status. DESCRIPTION
The routine pvm_advise advises PVM on whether or not to set up direct task-to-task links (using TCP) for all subsequent communication. Once a link is established it remains until the application finishes. If a direct link can not be established because one of the two tasks has requested PvmDontRoute or because no resources are available, then the default route through the PVM daemons is used. pvm_advise can be called multiple times to selectively establish direct links, but is typically set only once near the beginning of each task. PvmAllowDi- rect is the default advise setting. This setting on task A allows other tasks to set up direct links to A. Once a direct link is estab- lished between tasks both tasks will use it for sending messages. pvm_advise returns the error status in info. The performance of direct task-to-task links can be up to a factor of two better than the default route. The draw back is a lack of scalability of the direct links. Some versions of UNIX limit the number of links to no more than 30. EXAMPLES
C: info = pvm_advise( PvmRouteDirect ); Fortran: CALL PVMFADVISE( PVMROUTEDIRECT, INFO ) ERRORS
This error condition can be returned by pvm_advise PvmBadParam giving an invalid route value. SEE ALSO
pvm_setopt(3PVM) 30 August, 1993 ADVISE(3PVM)