Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: EOF problem with Cron Job?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers EOF problem with Cron Job? Post 302473790 by Crazy Serb on Monday 22nd of November 2010 11:20:08 AM
Old 11-22-2010
EOF problem with Cron Job?

Hey guys... first post here...

I have set up the following cron to create daily backups for me and rotate them weekly:

Code:
date=`date +%d`; tar -zcvf /home/mysite/backups/backup_dev_$date.tgz /home/mysite/public_html/dev/app --exclude=/home/mysite/public_html/dev/app/tmp

However, I keep receiving this output (in an email) when the server runs it:

/bin/sh: -c: line 0: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
/bin/sh: -c: line 1: syntax error: unexpected end of file

If I run that cron job line manually in SSH, it works just fine.

What gives?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Run cron job problem

I have the below crontab job that it will run at every 7:00am - 10:00am , it work fine , now if I want to skip to run the crontab job at a specific time , eg. I want the script not to run at next Monday 8:00am ( only skip this time , other time is normal ) , how can I make it ? is it possible ?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cron job skipping problem

Hi, I have a crontab that runs some shell scripts at fixed intervals. Although, one condition for a script to continue is that a previous instance of the same script should have terminated. But, inspite of the fact that the old instance has finished execution, the new instance still terminates. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneetarora_12
3 Replies

3. Solaris

cron job problem

I am trying to setup cronjob and once I start to save it is not working. This is what I am getting after I executed crontab -e, I am not even getting the privious entry and I am running from root. crontab -e 421 10 3 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm ? :wq ? Why is it not saving? Any input is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
4 Replies

4. Solaris

problem with cron job

new to unix here, im learning how to schedule jobs with crontab. The following cron job runs under root but not under a test account i created. 50 11 * * 0 /usr/bin/banner "HELLO" > /dev/console i have no idea with it isn't running under the test account but runs right on time when i create... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solne
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scheduling Cron job-Problem

Hello All, I want to run a script for every 5 minutes interval.So i developed a script which has to be scheduled to run for every 5 minutes. That script internally runs another script. But the problem is it is not executing properly. Can anybody throw some light on this. Below are the code... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Cron job

Hi , I have a TCL script which i am supposed to run as a cron job.. The script works fine from command line , but when run as a cron job , its unable to find a package,, my crontab is as follows. --------------------------- #!/usr/bin/ksh * * * * * PATH=/cm8/auto/Automation/Library/TclLib ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudharshana
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron job problem

I have a perl script which Im planning to run every minute. I have set the cron job as * * * * * PATH= /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/lib; perl /dm2/www/html/isos/pre5.3/autoDownload.pl I assume the script is executing every minute only because I see a entry like below when I do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srijith
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Problem with a cron job

When i am trying to open crontab throught command crontab -e. It is not opening? OUTPUT: # crontab -e sh: vim: not found The crontab file was not changed. Please let me know how to open and edit it??? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected EOF while looking for matching `'' when ran from a cron job

Since cPanel does not support deleting emails older then X amount of days I am using the following on a Cron Job. find -P /home/user/mail/domain/ -mindepth 2 -mtime '+366' -type f -printf '"%p"\n' | grep -v '/Important' | grep -v '/.Important' | xargs -I {} rm -r "{}" Executing it via SSH... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiagom
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem with CRON job

HI, I have written an executable file in unix and I was able to execute it successfully but when I called this file with cron job it was giving error like "permission denied" and "No such file or directory". Please help in how cron calls the file and what permission is required on the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipin kumar rai
2 Replies
RDUP-TR(1)							       rdup								RDUP-TR(1)

NAME
rdup-tr - transform rdup output SYNOPSIS
rdup-tr [OPTION]... DESCRIPTION
Transform rdup output into something else. Where something else can be a tar, cpio, pax archive or another rdup stream. The rdup archive must be given on rdup-tr's standard input. You can select multiple types of output (-O flag), but you must be aware that you may loose some information in formats other than rdup's own, see the table below. You may also supply rdup-tr with only a list of pathnames, this can be selected with the -L flag. The following table shows what happens with the output depending on the input. 0 OK D delete information is lost H hardlink information is lost | | output | tar,cpio,pax | rdup input | | ------------- | ------------- | ------ rdup | D | 0 filelist | DH | H | | OPTIONS
-L Select list input format. Normally rdup-tr accepts rdup output, with this option you can give it a list of path names. Note: with list input rdup-tr will `stat()` each file. -O Output format. This can be 'tar', 'cpio', 'pax' or 'rdup'. It defaults to 'rdup'. -X key Read the encryption key from the file key and encrypt all paths with Blowfish and this key and iv. After the encryption the binary data is converted into ASCII using an URL safe (Section 4 of RFC 3548) version of base64 encode. The encryption key must be on the first line and the key size must be 16 and 8 bytes for the iv, so 24 in total. -Y key Read the decryption key from the file key and decrypt all paths with Blowfish and this key. Before the encryption the paths are con- verted to binary by using an URL safe version of base64 decode. -c Force output to the tty. Normally rdup-tr wants to see it's output redirected. -v Be more verbose. -V Print rdup-tr's version. -h A short help. EXAMPLES
The following is possible rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-f,KEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -O tar -X<(echo secret) | gzip > my-home-zipped-crypted-pathcrypted-tar.gz That is: all files under /home are gzipped and encrypted on a per file basis (first line). Further more, all pathnames are Blowfish encrypted (second line) with the key 'secret'. This is put in a tar file, which is then compressed, resulting in the final output (final line). Creating a compressed and encrypted tar archive out of a full rdup dump might be done as follows rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-f,KEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -O tar > my-home-zipped-and-crypted.tar Or even pack and unpack it on the fly rdup -Pgzip -Pmcrypt,-fKEY,-c /dev/null /home | rdup-tr -Otar | ssh user@remotehost tar xvCf /tmp - Or encryption with openssl rdup -Popenssl,enc,-e,-des-cbc,-k,secret /dev/null /home Or, compressing with gzip, encrypting with openssl and then compressing the entire archive yet again rdup -Pgzip -Popenssl,enc,-e,-des-cbc,-k,secret /dev/null /home | gzip > my_compressed_encrypted_rdup_archive.gz Recreating the original rdup output, which can be fed to rdup-up. gunzip -c my_compressed_encrypted_rdup_archive.gz | rdup-tr -Popenssl,enc,-d,-des-cbc,-k,secret -Pgzip,-d > my_rdup_archive rdup-up < my_rdup_archive -t /tmp/restore Notice the reversal of the -P options. EXIT CODE
rdup-tr return a zero exit code on success, otherwise 1 is returned. AUTHOR
Written by Miek Gieben. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <miek@miek.nl>. SEE ALSO
http:/www.miek.nl/projects/rdup/ is the main site of rdup. Also see rdup(1), rdup-up(1) and rdup-backups(7). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2005-2010 Miek Gieben. This is free software. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Licensed under the GPL version 3. See the file LICENSE in the source distribution of rdup. 1.1.11 27 Nov 2008 RDUP-TR(1)