Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Umount of a "busy" disk
Operating Systems Linux Umount of a "busy" disk Post 302473767 by dhzdh on Monday 22nd of November 2010 10:21:34 AM
Old 11-22-2010
Question Umount of a "busy" disk

A product I am working on manages storage. We are currently porting it from Solaris to Linux.
The product allows its user, among other things, to add and remove file server volumes, where these volumes are exported using the NFS or the CIFS protocol.
The problem is that when the user requests to remove a volume, it is quite possible that the volume is busy, since there is a client that uses it. This is particularly a problem with CIFS volumes (exported using a Samba server).

We have considered using lazy umount, but how can I know when the umount completes and I can actually remove the volume?

Solaris has a "force" umount, which we use. It performs the umount despite any open files on the volume. Unfortunately, Linux does not support it. The "-f" flag does not work this way, and by the documentation (and my tests) only works on remote NFS volumes I mount locally.

Any thoughts on the issue will be appreciated.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Help:"Bad checksum in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package"?

Hello, I'm brand new to Sun/Solaris. I have a Sun Blade 150, with SunOS 5.8. I wanted to make a backup to prevent future data loss, so I put the disk in a normal PC with Windows XP to try to make a backup with Norton Ghost, the disk was detected, but not the file volume, so I place the disk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Resadija
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX rm -rf error "rm: cannot remove `filename' : Device or resource busy"

Hi Everyone, I am trying to remove a directory: $ rm -rf directory_name/ rm: cannot remove `directory_name/filename': Device or resource busy What does this mean, and why can't I remove these files? I already tried moving into the directory, and removing the files individually, but I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna_Z
7 Replies

5. Solaris

"Device busy" When Reopening Serial Port

Any help much appreciated. I am a Java developer, not a Solaris adept. I'm having an issue reopening serial port with the Java app I am developing. I develop in Windows and deploy the app on Solaris 10 (Sunfire X4170 with Xeon.) On the target machine my app uses the two serial ports... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jim Ryan
11 Replies

6. SCO

NFS umount shows the "Device busy (Error 16)"

Hi there After making a backup copy of it sometimes happens that when I want to unmount an NFS indicates the error:umount: /path_mount busy: Device busy (Error 16) if I run lsoff, I can not find the process that is blocking the application. I'm using OpenServer 5.0.2c as one NFS server ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
14 Replies

7. Solaris

How to remove a LUN in "Online Busy" state?

Hi all, I have a LUN that is in "Online Busy" when I issue the dev_gestate subcommand of luxadm: root@es088wb6:~# luxadm -v -e dev_getstate /dev/rdsk/c21t50050763090887FEd4s2 phys path = "/devices/pci@6c0/pci@1/pci@0/pci@4/SUNW,qlc@0/fp@0,0/ssd@w50050763090887fe,4:c,raw" ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ludiegu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
ii(7D)								      Devices								    ii(7D)

NAME
ii - Instant Image control device DESCRIPTION
The ii device is a control interface for Instant Image devices and controls the Instant Image module through the ioctl(2) interface. Instant Image is a point-in-time volume copy facility for the Solaris operating environment that is administered through the iiadm(1M) com- mand. With Instant Image, you can create an independent point-in-time copy of a volume or a master volume-dependent point-in-time view. You can also independently access the master and shadow volume for read and write operations. Instant Image also lets you update the shadow volume from the master volume or restore the master volume from the shadow. (Restore operations to volumes can be full or incremental). Instant Image supports fast volume re-synchronization, letting you create a new point-in-time volume copy by updating the specified volume with only changed data. To create a shadow volume you need a: 1. Master volume to be shadowed. 2. Shadow volume where the copy will reside. This volume must be equal to or larger than the master volume. 3. Administrative bitmap volume or file for tracking differences between the shadow and master volumes. The administrative bitmap volume or file must be at least 24Kbytes in size and requires 8KBytes for each GByte (or part thereof) of master volume size, plus an additional 8KBytes overhead. For example, to shadow a 3GByte master volume, the administration volume must be 8KBytes + (3 * 8KBytes) =32KBytes in size. The Instant Image module uses services provided by the SDBC and SD_GEN modules. The SV module is required to present a conventional block device interface to the storage product interface of the Instant Image, SDBC and SD_GEN modules. When a shadow operation is suspended or resumed, the administration volumes may be stored in permanent SDBC storage or loaded and saved to and from kernel memory. The ii_bitmap variable in the /kernel/drv/ii.conf configuration file determines the administration volume storage type. A value of 0 indicates kernel memory, while a value of 1 indicates permanent SDBC storage. If the system is part of a storage prod- ucts cluster, use the 1 value (permanent storage), otherwise use kernel memory (0 value). FILES
kernel/drv/ii 32- bit ELF kernel module (x86). /kernel/drv/ii.conf Configuration file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWiu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
iiadm(1M), ioctl(2), attributes(5), sv(7D) SunOS 5.11 8 Jun 2007 ii(7D)