Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming IPC - pipes between parent and child process Post 302473584 by DGPickett on Sunday 21st of November 2010 02:01:25 PM
Old 11-21-2010
Well, it sounds like you need a protocol, or operate your pipes full duplex with at state machine at each end to take care of activities on that overlaid protocol. Decoding & analyzing professors is much more complex than decoding & analyzing an API. Smilie

If you find pipes, sockets, shmem, semaphores, queues and all that a bit restrictive, you can mmap() a file in both processes, creating an area of shared memory, not to be confused with the silly UNIX ipc shared memory that needs root setup and such dusty old stuff, and the nice thing is that you can peek at the mmap90'd file during or after for you edification about what is going on. It is really fast, RAM write snoop invalidating cache fast. You can even have a file for each writer, so there is no ambiguity about who put the file in that state.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

parent and child process question?

Hi everybody, I'm trying to understand how a parent and child processes interact. This function( below) basically measures the fork time from the perspective of the parent only. what i would like to know is how to measure the time from the perspective of parent and child (ie: inserting... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tosa
0 Replies

2. Programming

Implementing 2 pipes between a parent and child process

Hi all, I'm trying to write a program that has some data it wants to send through a filter program(in this case tr), and then recieve the output from that filter program. The way I'm trying to do it is by setting up two pipes between the programs and piping the data in through one pipe and back... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bwgoudey
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find all the child processes of a parent process

Hi I am trying to see if there are some options in ps command or if there is a shell script which basically shows you all the processes spawned by a parent process , then all the processes of its child processes and so on down the hierarchy may be like a tree structure. It might be a generic... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: clifford
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sending signal from child to parent process!

Hi All, I facing a problem in handling signals between parent process communication. I am trying to send a signal(SIGINT) from child to parent. I am using kill function to do so and I am trying to read the signal using sigaction(). But the program is ending abruptly and I am not able to figure out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkn_1985
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH/Bash] Starting a parent process from a child process?

Hey all, I need to launch a script from within 2 other scripts that can run independently of the two parent scripts... Im having a hard time doing this, if anyone knows how please let me know. More detail. ScriptA (bash), ScriptB (ksh), ScriptC (bash) ScriptA, launches ScriptB ScirptB,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
7 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

signal between parent process and child process

Hello, everyone. Here's a program: pid_t pid = fork(); if (0 == pid) // child process { execvp ...; } I send a signal (such as SIGINT) to the parent process, the child process receive the signal as well as the parent process. However I don't want to child process to receive the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackliang
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

forking a child process and kill its parent to show that child process has init() as its parent

Hi everyone i am very new to linux , working on bash shell. I am trying to solve the given problem 1. Create a process and then create children using fork 2. Check the Status of the application for successful running. 3. Kill all the process(threads) except parent and first child... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vizz_k
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Message passing from child to parent using pipes

Hi, I am trying my hand in networking programming in C, and got stuck in piping. I was following some tutorial and did the forking like : while (1) { newsockfd = accept(sockfd, (struct sockaddr *) &cli_addr, &clilen); if (newsockfd < 0) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi1988sri
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How make parent to wait from child process?

Hi all, I am starting mgen5 for sometime depends on input from a file, in a child process. now I want to make parent to wait in this child process till mgen5 finishes, or timeout happens. could anyone please tell me how to make parent to wait in child process in shell script? thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girijajoshi
2 Replies
SEM_OVERVIEW(7) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   SEM_OVERVIEW(7)

NAME
sem_overview - overview of POSIX semaphores DESCRIPTION
POSIX semaphores allow processes and threads to synchronize their actions. A semaphore is an integer whose value is never allowed to fall below zero. Two operations can be performed on semaphores: increment the semaphore value by one (sem_post(3)); and decrement the semaphore value by one (sem_wait(3)). If the value of a semaphore is currently zero, then a sem_wait(3) operation will block until the value becomes greater than zero. POSIX semaphores come in two forms: named semaphores and unnamed semaphores. Named semaphores A named semaphore is identified by a name of the form /somename; that is, a null-terminated string of up to NAME_MAX-4 (i.e., 251) characters consisting of an initial slash, followed by one or more characters, none of which are slashes. Two processes can operate on the same named semaphore by passing the same name to sem_open(3). The sem_open(3) function creates a new named semaphore or opens an existing named semaphore. After the semaphore has been opened, it can be operated on using sem_post(3) and sem_wait(3). When a process has finished using the semaphore, it can use sem_close(3) to close the semaphore. When all processes have finished using the semaphore, it can be removed from the system using sem_unlink(3). Unnamed semaphores (memory-based semaphores) An unnamed semaphore does not have a name. Instead the semaphore is placed in a region of memory that is shared between multiple threads (a thread-shared semaphore) or processes (a process-shared semaphore). A thread-shared semaphore is placed in an area of memory shared between the threads of a process, for example, a global variable. A process-shared semaphore must be placed in a shared memory region (e.g., a System V shared memory segment created using shmget(2), or a POSIX shared memory object built created using shm_open(3)). Before being used, an unnamed semaphore must be initialized using sem_init(3). It can then be operated on using sem_post(3) and sem_wait(3). When the semaphore is no longer required, and before the memory in which it is located is deallocated, the semaphore should be destroyed using sem_destroy(3). The remainder of this section describes some specific details of the Linux implementation of POSIX semaphores. Versions Prior to kernel 2.6, Linux only supported unnamed, thread-shared semaphores. On a system with Linux 2.6 and a glibc that provides the NPTL threading implementation, a complete implementation of POSIX semaphores is provided. Persistence POSIX named semaphores have kernel persistence: if not removed by sem_unlink(3), a semaphore will exist until the system is shut down. Linking Programs using the POSIX semaphores API must be compiled with cc -pthread to link against the real-time library, librt. Accessing named semaphores via the file system On Linux, named semaphores are created in a virtual file system, normally mounted under /dev/shm, with names of the form sem.somename. (This is the reason that semaphore names are limited to NAME_MAX-4 rather than NAME_MAX characters.) Since Linux 2.6.19, ACLs can be placed on files under this directory, to control object permissions on a per-user and per-group basis. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
System V semaphores (semget(2), semop(2), etc.) are an older semaphore API. POSIX semaphores provide a simpler, and better designed inter- face than System V semaphores; on the other hand POSIX semaphores are less widely available (especially on older systems) than System V semaphores. EXAMPLE
An example of the use of various POSIX semaphore functions is shown in sem_wait(3). SEE ALSO
sem_close(3), sem_destroy(3), sem_getvalue(3), sem_init(3), sem_open(3), sem_post(3), sem_unlink(3), sem_wait(3), pthreads(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-05-13 SEM_OVERVIEW(7)