Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to stop execution of a script after one hour Post 302473213 by pludi on Friday 19th of November 2010 07:58:42 AM
Old 11-19-2010
@Tuxidow: That could be optimized:
Code:
find . -type f +mmin +5 -print | xargs -I{} -n 100 scp -i /root/.ssh/id_dsa_noauth {} myserver.com:/tmp/

See man xargs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to stop execution in for loop

Hi all, I am working on a c source code nearly 2000 line . it contains one big for( i=0; i< 200 ; i++ ) loop of around 600 lines could any tell me how to break the execution of prog when the value of i is 50 in for loop so that i can check inside the loop. Thanks.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

2. AIX

stop execution of script with in the script

Hello i want to incorporate of piece of code in the shell script which checks whether same script is already running or not. If it is already running i want to come out (exit) if its not then continue with the execution of the script. Any help would be very much appreciated Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsdev_123
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop execution of script if some condition fails

After my if condtion give rusult true then script should stop execution. Please advice...Thnaks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek1489
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to loop script for every 1 hour

Hi All, Need to run a1.sh script using nohup command (since crontab facility not there in my unix server) as below: nohup ksh -x a1.sh & a1.sh contains: nohup ksh -x b1.sh 2> b1.log & In a1.sh script i need to trigger b1.sh script every one hour. How to loop b1.sh to run for every 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HemaV
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert 24 hour time to 12 hour timing?

Hi friends, I want to convert 24 hour timing to 12 hour please help me... my data file looks like this.. 13-Nov-2011 13:27:36 15.32044 72.68502 13-Nov-2011 12:08:31 15.31291 72.69807 16-Nov-2011 01:16:54 15.30844 72.74028 15-Nov-2011 20:09:25 15.35096 ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: nex_asp
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to see top processes for every hour

Hi All, I am new to Scripting , please give me guidance to write the script to see top processes on the Linux operating system. I executed this script on my Virtual Server(Linux) DATE=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S` HOME=/home/xmp/testing/xmp_report RADIUS_PID=`xms -xmp sh pr | grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: madala
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To stop execution in cron

hi guys i have a question my cron should start executing minute but it sould stop execute only i have tried tis 10 * * * * /home/sample.sh >> /data/band/cron_$(date+|%Y|m|d).log (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: azherkn3
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a process continuously for an hour then stop?

Hi I have a shell script I would like to run it has to run twice a day every 5 seconds for an hour I can do this with cron but I was hoping there was an easier way. Is there a way to make a process sleep only at a certain time of day say between 1 and 2 pm? Or under certain conditions? Any help... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to be run every one hour

How can we run shell script every one hour. Anyone having code unit for this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pratiksha Mehra
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Stop script execution, when we encounter error

Team, Im new to shell scripting please help in below issue: Considering scenario i have 1.sql,2.sql,3.sql and 4.sql . If my second script fails my loop should come out and should not execute 3.sql and 4.sql. Here is my code. #! /bin/bash echo "exit" | user/password | grep Connected >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethi87
4 Replies
XARGS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  XARGS(1)

NAME
xargs -- construct argument list(s) and execute utility SYNOPSIS
xargs [-0opt] [-E eofstr] [-I replstr [-R replacements]] [-J replstr] [-L number] [-n number [-x]] [-P maxprocs] [-s size] [utility [argument ...]] DESCRIPTION
The xargs utility reads space, tab, newline and end-of-file delimited strings from the standard input and executes utility with the strings as arguments. Any arguments specified on the command line are given to utility upon each invocation, followed by some number of the arguments read from the standard input of xargs. The utility is repeatedly executed until standard input is exhausted. Spaces, tabs and newlines may be embedded in arguments using single (`` ' '') or double (``"'') quotes or backslashes (``''). Single quotes escape all non-single quote characters, excluding newlines, up to the matching single quote. Double quotes escape all non-double quote char- acters, excluding newlines, up to the matching double quote. Any single character, including newlines, may be escaped by a backslash. The options are as follows: -0 Change xargs to expect NUL (``'') characters as separators, instead of spaces and newlines. This is expected to be used in concert with the -print0 function in find(1). -E eofstr Use eofstr as a logical EOF marker. -I replstr Execute utility for each input line, replacing one or more occurrences of replstr in up to replacements (or 5 if no -R flag is speci- fied) arguments to utility with the entire line of input. The resulting arguments, after replacement is done, will not be allowed to grow beyond 255 bytes; this is implemented by concatenating as much of the argument containing replstr as possible, to the con- structed arguments to utility, up to 255 bytes. The 255 byte limit does not apply to arguments to utility which do not contain replstr, and furthermore, no replacement will be done on utility itself. Implies -x. -J replstr If this option is specified, xargs will use the data read from standard input to replace the first occurrence of replstr instead of appending that data after all other arguments. This option will not affect how many arguments will be read from input (-n), or the size of the command(s) xargs will generate (-s). The option just moves where those arguments will be placed in the command(s) that are executed. The replstr must show up as a distinct argument to xargs. It will not be recognized if, for instance, it is in the middle of a quoted string. Furthermore, only the first occurrence of the replstr will be replaced. For example, the following com- mand will copy the list of files and directories which start with an uppercase letter in the current directory to destdir: /bin/ls -1d [A-Z]* | xargs -J % cp -rp % destdir -L number Call utility for every number non-empty lines read. A line ending with a space continues to the next non-empty line. If EOF is reached and fewer lines have been read than number then utility will be called with the available lines. The -L and -n options are mutually-exclusive; the last one given will be used. -n number Set the maximum number of arguments taken from standard input for each invocation of utility. An invocation of utility will use less than number standard input arguments if the number of bytes accumulated (see the -s option) exceeds the specified size or there are fewer than number arguments remaining for the last invocation of utility. The current default value for number is 5000. -o Reopen stdin as /dev/tty in the child process before executing the command. This is useful if you want xargs to run an interactive application. -P maxprocs Parallel mode: run at most maxprocs invocations of utility at once. -p Echo each command to be executed and ask the user whether it should be executed. An affirmative response, 'y' in the POSIX locale, causes the command to be executed, any other response causes it to be skipped. No commands are executed if the process is not attached to a terminal. -R replacements Specify the maximum number of arguments that -I will do replacement in. If replacements is negative, the number of arguments in which to replace is unbounded. -s size Set the maximum number of bytes for the command line length provided to utility. The sum of the length of the utility name, the arguments passed to utility (including NULL terminators) and the current environment will be less than or equal to this number. The current default value for size is ARG_MAX - 4096. -t Echo the command to be executed to standard error immediately before it is executed. -x Force xargs to terminate immediately if a command line containing number arguments will not fit in the specified (or default) command line length. If utility is omitted, echo(1) is used. Undefined behavior may occur if utility reads from the standard input. The xargs utility exits immediately (without processing any further input) if a command line cannot be assembled, utility cannot be invoked, an invocation of utility is terminated by a signal, or an invocation of utility exits with a value of 255. LEGACY DESCRIPTION
In legacy mode, the -L option treats all newlines as end-of-line, regardless of whether the line is empty or ends with a space. In addition, the -L and -n options are not mutually-exclusive. For more information about legacy mode, see compat(5). EXIT STATUS
The xargs utility exits with a value of 0 if no error occurs. If utility cannot be found, xargs exits with a value of 127, otherwise if utility cannot be executed, xargs exits with a value of 126. If any other error occurs, xargs exits with a value of 1. SEE ALSO
echo(1), find(1), execvp(3), compat(5) STANDARDS
The xargs utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compliant. The -J, -o, -P and -R options are non-standard FreeBSD exten- sions which may not be available on other operating systems. HISTORY
The xargs command appeared in PWB UNIX. BUGS
If utility attempts to invoke another command such that the number of arguments or the size of the environment is increased, it risks execvp(3) failing with E2BIG. The xargs utility does not take multibyte characters into account when performing string comparisons for the -I and -J options, which may lead to incorrect results in some locales. BSD
August 2, 2004 BSD