Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert hex values to displayable characters Post 302472889 by ahmedwaseem2000 on Thursday 18th of November 2010 10:30:36 AM
Old 11-18-2010
Methyl - I am using AIX. well I was referring to the od -x output in a file. which I would want to convert to proper ascii values. dd will convert the ebcidic to ascii but I would want to convert the hex values to be converted to ascii.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert hex to ascii text

Is there a command to convert hex characters into their respective ascii values? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
5 Replies

2. Programming

to convert int to hex

Hi, Can you help me in converting int value to hex in a single command. Thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: naan
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Convert Hex value to Dec ?

Hi All, I want to convert below Hex value to Dec value in each column .How to do it ? This data is in a 1 file. 4e20 0475 2710 010f 7530 69a2 7530 7e2f 4e20 02dd 7530 6299 4e20 0c0a 7530 69a2 4e20 0a0b 2710 0048 7530 7955 4e20 0d23 7530 622d 7530 9121 2710 001f 7530 7d3f (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nayanajith
6 Replies

4. Programming

Convert HEX to EBCDIC IN C

i want to convert Hex value To EBCDIC value. i tried to convert hex to ascii and then to ebcdic but it doesn't give desired results . it doesn't give corresponding ebcdic value instead it gives some junk values. e.g; Hex EBCDIC ----------------- 81 a 82 b 83 c 84 d 85 e 86 f 87... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: junaid.nehvi
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert ascii values into ascii characters

Hi gurus, I have a file in unix with ascii values. I need to convert all the ascii values in the file to ascii characters. File contains nearly 20000 records with ascii values. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeeppvk
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert hex to decimal or reverse is better?

Please Help Me! about the problem down under. I have 2 files with nearly the same characteristics, I have to convert one to the other format or the other format to one's format. I want to write it with awk. The first file contain lines like this: 300000001#A#Y#Y#Y#Y The other file contain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Axel82
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Hex - KSH

Hello, I woild like to convert hex on KSH not BASH: I tried to use: tmp=31 printf "\x"${tmp}"" it works on bash - Output is '1' but not on ksh. please advice on the right syntax. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert to Hex in perl

Hi, i want to convert number 5860533159 to hexadecimal. i need to use perl. i used $foo = 5860533159; $hexval3 = sprintf("%#x", $foo); i am getting value as 0xffffffff. i need to get value as 0x15D50A3A7. when i converted using google calculator, i got the correct value, expected... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert hex to decimal

can someone help me in converting hex streams to decimal values using perl script Hex value: $my_hex_stream="0c07ac14001676"; Every hex value in the above stream should be converted in to decimal and separated by comma. The output should be: 12,07,172,20,00,22,118 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace with "sed" some hex values by other hex values?

Assume I have a file \usr\home\\somedir\myfile123.txt and I want to replace all occurencies of the two (concatenated) hex values x'AD' x'A0' bytwo other (concatenated) hex values x'20' x'6E' How can I achieve this with the gnu sed tool? Additional question: Is there a way to let sed show... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies
CTYPE(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  CTYPE(3)

NAME
isalpha, isupper, islower, isdigit, isxdigit, isalnum, isspace, ispunct, isprint, isgraph, iscntrl, isascii, toupper, tolower, toascii - character classification macros SYNOPSIS
#include <ctype.h> isalpha(c) . . . DESCRIPTION
These macros classify ASCII-coded integer values by table lookup. Each is a predicate returning nonzero for true, zero for false. Isascii and toascii are defined on all integer values; the rest are defined only where isascii is true and on the single non-ASCII value EOF (see stdio(3S)). isalpha c is a letter isupper c is an upper case letter islower c is a lower case letter isdigit c is a digit isxdigit c is a hex digit isalnum c is an alphanumeric character isspace c is a space, tab, carriage return, newline, vertical tab, or formfeed ispunct c is a punctuation character (neither control nor alphanumeric) isprint c is a printing character, code 040(8) (space) through 0176 (tilde) isgraph c is a printing character, similar to isprint except false for space. iscntrl c is a delete character(0177) or ordinary control character (less than 040). isascii c is an ASCII character, code less than 0200 tolower c is converted to lower case. Return value is undefined if not isupper(c). toupper c is converted to upper case. Return value is undefined if not islower(c). toascii c is converted to be a valid ascii character. SEE ALSO
ascii(7) 7th Edition May 12, 1986 CTYPE(3)