Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Log rotation issue with script Post 302472637 by navinmistry on Wednesday 17th of November 2010 05:36:13 PM
Old 11-17-2010
Log rotation issue with script

I have application which to the heavy stdout and I have diverted the stdout to log file.

this log file is writing very heavily and we have a script which rotates the logs.
logic for rotation is smthing like
cp logfile logfile.1
cat /dev/null > logfile

this logic was working fine till we had lesser load coming in logfile but Now there is much stdout going on and after doing a
cat /dev/null > logfile

logfile becomes of size 0 but again shows the same size as was it before.

so what I'm having is
logfile 1GB
after rotation
logfile.1 1GB
logfile 1GB & still appending the data.

I see the FD 1 for the log write is showing the same size as of the file and not coming down.

can you see any issue with this kind of log rotation why it is breaking on heavy IO ( my assumption is that FD 1 is still in blocking mode )
and any suggestion how it can be solved by scripting or othere logic/commands.

Thanks..
Navin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log Rotation Tool/Script

Hello all Does anyone has an intersting script or a good freeware tool for log rotation that is good for Unix and Linux as well ? My thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelalouf
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

Log rotation on HP-UX

Can anyone post a sample log rotate and archive configuration on HP-UX? I really don't know how to do that... :( (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: untamed
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

log rotation

Hello all. Due to some reason I can not use HUP to rotate needed log files. So I use the standard method: cp $file $file.1 cat /dev/null > $file But if Java application in this time writing the output to $file, in the beginning of it appears many "^@^@^@^@^@^@". How to avoid it? Or how... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirusnet
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log rotation script

I have the below script to help with disk space cleanup that finds logs older than a specified number of days (say 10 days). I need it to grab "active" logs as well. Problem is an "active log" will not get archived unless I put in 0 days which I don't want to do, I need to leave the past 10 days,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theninja
2 Replies

5. Web Development

Mod_Jk Log rotation

Hi , I have cronolog (http://cronolog.org/) setup to rotate both my error and access logs, but how can I use it to rotate my mod_jk.log file. I tried different things but cant get it to work. I want to end up where all three files will be rotated daily in YYYY/MM/DD folder format. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2learn09
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Log Rotation of Catalina.out

Hi, Recently i received a request to rotate logs of catalina.out (tomcat). The file size was about 807 MB. I used logadm to truncate the log ( -c ) and zip (-z 0) it. Everything worked fine, catalina.out.0.gz was created (22 MB) and the size of original catalina.out became 0kb. After... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Log rotation, twice

hi folk, need advise regarding the log rotation, i have the logadm set at 30 2 * * * /usr/sbin/logadm so it supposed to rotate once per day, but now it rotated twice! but someone my log will rotate at 2:30 AM, but then another 2 hours later, it creates a new and rotate a new log again,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dehetoxic
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Log Rotation

Hi Guys, Good morning, I just want to know and collect ideas on this one. Regarding rotation of logs as I've observed it's not consistently functioning. I have a server with 8 Partitions, each partition has a dedicated directory for the logs that is needed and I set it every 5mins (300secs) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Log rotation

Hi All! I seem to have a problem with log rotation, unless I am doing something wrong, I have type the following command for testing purposes to see if the -s option works but he did not: logadm -w /var/adm/messages -C 8 -c -s 512k -t '/var/adm/messages.$n' -z 1 the file is now at this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log rotation script

I have an application that rotate its log once it reaches 100mb and it keeps a total of 24 logs. I am trying to write a script to run daily to tar up the previous day logs files and move them to a different directory. here is a long listing of the logs in the directory: -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: e_mikey_2000
6 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.41.11 March 2010 LOGSAVE(8)