Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Sharing tape drive across systems Post 302472340 by Corona688 on Wednesday 17th of November 2010 12:10:55 AM
Old 11-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk8570
Is it possible to NFS mount raw tape drive device file ( /dev/rmt0 ) across system ?
Don't think so. You might get the device file but it won't know it's supposed to be a device on another system. You could transfer the data over a network socket and run the command locally...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sharing Tape Drive from other machine

Pls. correct me for the required steps which we need to do to share the Tape drive or whatever drive from other machine in network . 1.related files : /etc/hosts ,/etc/hosts.equiv , ....? 2. we need to insert the user & machine name inside hosts.equiv . (machinname1 username1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nikk
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sharing a Unix Drive Over The Internet ... but

I don't know if this can be done, otherwise, my project will come to a screeching halt. I have a SCO 5.0.5 machine connected to the internet with a static IP address. I need to be able to share a drive : /shareddrive I need to map to it from a windows machine: hence, what i'd like to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gseyforth
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tape drive

Hi, I need to restore my tape backup, when I type "tape status" it gives; status : ready beginning-of-tape write-protected soft errors : 0 hard errors : 0 underruns : 3 but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
4 Replies

4. AIX

Sharing a tape drive across the network.

I'm building a new server that doesn't have an internal tape drive. It is running 5.3ML8. I have another server running 5.1ML9 that has an LTO1 drive I'd like to share. Is this possible, or should I look into twin-tailing it, if that's even supported anymore. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tommysalami
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Sharing DVD Drive in LDoms Environment

I have T5220 server with DVD drive. I have installed few logical domains in the server and wonder how they can share the DVD drive. I have not seen any mention of that in Sun documentation. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Sharing devices (tape drive) to local zone

I have to setup a local zone and need to share the fiber attached tape drive that is connected to the global zone. What is the best way to do this? Will sharing the /dev/rmt directory via lofs work? Any help is appreciated! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

7. AIX

problem on sharing cdrom drive in AIX with linux

HI i have setuped a nfs between a AIX system and a linux os ,keeping AIX as sever i need to share the CDrom in AIX server with the linux operating system. ie. linux os machine does't have a cdrom . will i be able be share ..i tried a lot but it gives a message which resembles NFS access... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguraja
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

TAPE drive

I have used ioscan -fnC tape and the system identified the tape drive. what is the command to show a listing of what is on the tape? I have used ls /dev/rmt/rmt0 to no avail. can anyone help? Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randydog
10 Replies
TAPEINFO(1)						      General Commands Manual						       TAPEINFO(1)

NAME
tapeinfo - report SCSI tape device info SYNOPSIS
tapeinfo -f <scsi-generic-device> DESCRIPTION
The tapeinfo command reads various information from SCSI tape drives that is not generally available via most vendors' tape drivers. It issues raw commands directly to the tape drive, using either the operating system's SCSI generic device ( e.g. /dev/sg0 on Linux, /dev/pass0 on FreeBSD) or the raw SCSI I/O ioctl on a tape device on some operating systems. One good time to use 'tapeinfo' is immediately after a tape i/o operation has failed. On tape drives that support HP's 'tapealert' API, 'tapeinfo' will report a more exact description of what went wrong. Do be aware that 'tapeinfo' is not a substitute for your operating system's own 'mt' or similar tape driver control program. It is intended to supplement, not replace, programs like 'mt' that access your operating system's tape driver in order to report or set information. OPTIONS
The first argument, given following -f , is the SCSI generic device corresponding to your tape drive. Consult your operating system's doc- umentation for more information (for example, under Linux these are generally start at /dev/sg0 under FreeBSD these start at /dev/pass0). Under FreeBSD, 'camcontrol devlist' will tell you what SCSI devices you have, along with which 'pass' device controls them. Under Linux, "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" will tell you what SCSI devices you have. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
This program has only been tested on Linux with a limited number of tape drives (HP DDS4, Seagate AIT). AVAILABILITY
tapeinfo is currently being maintained by Eric Lee Green <eric@badtux.org> formerly of Enhanced Software Technologies Inc. The 'mtx' home page is http://mtx.sourceforge.net and the actual code is currently available there and via CVS from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtx/ . SEE ALSO
mt(1),mtx(1),scsitape(1) TAPEINFO1.0 TAPEINFO(1)