Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers For Loop To Rename Multiple Files Finds One Non-existant File Post 302472289 by Korn0474 on Tuesday 16th of November 2010 06:36:23 PM
Old 11-16-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag.singh
When there are new_* files in a directory, * wildcard is being expanded and so file names are being passed in for loop as value of i.
When there is no file of type new_*, * wildcard is not expanded and so new_* is passed as it is in the for loop.
All is that, this for loop will execute atlest once, either for actual files ( if present) or for new_*
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I conceived a work around was to add a if test -f argument inside the loop to make sure it is a real file before trying to move it but I'd prefer to avoid the situation entirely. Is that possible?

---------- Post updated at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:34 PM ----------

Thanks for cleaning up my post Scott. Sorry it was a little sloppy. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Rename files without using for loop

Hi, Is it possible to rename files at a time in a directory without using the for loop. (ex: intial filename- abc.txt to abc.tmp or abc.txt.tmp) I need to rename the files in a remote directory to which I'm connecting thru tectia sftp. The commands 'mv', 'for', 'echo' do not work. I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename files with sed in an until loop (double post)

I want to change the name of some of my files (mypics-0001, mypics-0002, mypics-0003.....mypics-0240) and I want to double check to see if this code is right: x=0 until do sed 's/mypics\-*/bday/g' done Would this change all of my file names to "bday0001....bday0240"? Please let me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvpike
0 Replies

4. Linux

rename files using loop with different name

Hi, i need to write a shell script where i have to loop through all the file in a directory and rename them based on below condition. file1.dat file2.dat file3.dat the above files has to be moved to another directory like below file1_201001.dat file2_201002.dat file3_201003.dat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to list on existant files

Hi I am using "ls" command to list files present on the system. "ls" lists all the files including those which are not present. Is there a way to filter the output so only the files which are actually present are shown. For exmple, the following command lists all the files: $ ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple files

hello: I have multiple files with names like: somestring_y2010m01d01 somestring_y2010m01d02 .......... somestring_y2010m12d31 How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sylcam
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename Multiple Files

Hey guys, I am the definition of a newbie. I am in the process of trying to rip all my dvds onto a new HTPC I setup. While doing this, I am also trying to organize a bunch of other files I already have to proper naming conventions. So far I have just been naming each file separately (I am on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralze34
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through the dir and Rename zip files and their underlying text file.

I have files in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.zip format under a directory. Each zip file contains A text file in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.txt format. I am trying to create a script that will Rename the zip files and their underlying text file replacing the datepart in them with . For eg: in the case of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash987
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to rename files in bash loop

I am trying to use sed to rename all .txt files in /home/cmccabe/test. However, I am getting an error that I seems to be putting the files in a new directory s, instead of in the original. Thank you :). bash # rename classified cd /home/cmccabe/test pattern2_old="_classify"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
This loop prints every value in a list together with the square and cube of the value: set values {1 3 5 7 2 4 6 8} ;# Odd numbers first, for fun! puts "Value Square Cube" ;# Neat-looking header foreach x $values { ;# Now loop and print... puts " $x [expr {$x**2}] [expr {$x**3}]" } The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)