Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers For Loop To Rename Multiple Files Finds One Non-existant File Post 302472279 by Korn0474 on Tuesday 16th of November 2010 05:45:00 PM
Old 11-16-2010
For Loop To Rename Multiple Files Finds One Non-existant File

Okay so here's something that's confusing me: I have a script that's designed to remove the words "new_" from the front of any file except two exceptions and it looks something like this...
Code:
for i in new_*
do
   if [[ `echo $i` != new_dat.bak ]] && [[ `echo $i | cut -c1-7` != new_ig_ ]]; then
          j=`echo "$i"|cut -c5-`
          mv $i $j
    fi
done

But what's happening is that it works perfectly on any directory except one that has no files starting with "new_". In that case it will still get in the if statement and report a single occurrence. It will report that it found a file called "new_*"

This I do not understand. Can someone please explain why it is seeing a non-existent file that just happens to match the description given in the for loop? Thanks.

Last edited by Scott; 11-16-2010 at 07:25 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Rename files without using for loop

Hi, Is it possible to rename files at a time in a directory without using the for loop. (ex: intial filename- abc.txt to abc.tmp or abc.txt.tmp) I need to rename the files in a remote directory to which I'm connecting thru tectia sftp. The commands 'mv', 'for', 'echo' do not work. I have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qwerty123
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename files with sed in an until loop (double post)

I want to change the name of some of my files (mypics-0001, mypics-0002, mypics-0003.....mypics-0240) and I want to double check to see if this code is right: x=0 until do sed 's/mypics\-*/bday/g' done Would this change all of my file names to "bday0001....bday0240"? Please let me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvpike
0 Replies

4. Linux

rename files using loop with different name

Hi, i need to write a shell script where i have to loop through all the file in a directory and rename them based on below condition. file1.dat file2.dat file3.dat the above files has to be moved to another directory like below file1_201001.dat file2_201002.dat file3_201003.dat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: feroz
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to list on existant files

Hi I am using "ls" command to list files present on the system. "ls" lists all the files including those which are not present. Is there a way to filter the output so only the files which are actually present are shown. For exmple, the following command lists all the files: $ ls... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple files

hello: I have multiple files with names like: somestring_y2010m01d01 somestring_y2010m01d02 .......... somestring_y2010m12d31 How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sylcam
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename Multiple Files

Hey guys, I am the definition of a newbie. I am in the process of trying to rip all my dvds onto a new HTPC I setup. While doing this, I am also trying to organize a bunch of other files I already have to proper naming conventions. So far I have just been naming each file separately (I am on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralze34
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through the dir and Rename zip files and their underlying text file.

I have files in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.zip format under a directory. Each zip file contains A text file in the ABC_YYYYMMDD.txt format. I am trying to create a script that will Rename the zip files and their underlying text file replacing the datepart in them with . For eg: in the case of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash987
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

SBATCH trinity for multiple files and rename/move the output files

Hey guys, I have wrote the following script to apply a module named "trinity" on my files. (it takes two input files and spit a trinity.fasta as output) #!/bin/bash -l #SBATCH -p node #SBATCH -A <projectID> #SBATCH -n 16 #SBATCH -t 7-00:00:00 #SBATCH --mem=128GB #SBATCH --mail-type=ALL... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: @man
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to rename files in bash loop

I am trying to use sed to rename all .txt files in /home/cmccabe/test. However, I am getting an error that I seems to be putting the files in a new directory s, instead of in the original. Thank you :). bash # rename classified cd /home/cmccabe/test pattern2_old="_classify"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
ECHO(3) 								 1								   ECHO(3)

echo - Output one or more strings

SYNOPSIS
void echo (string $arg1, [string $...]) DESCRIPTION
Outputs all parameters. echo is not actually a function (it is a language construct), so you are not required to use parentheses with it. echo (unlike some other language constructs) does not behave like a function, so it cannot always be used in the context of a function. Additionally, if you want to pass more than one parameter to echo, the parameters must not be enclosed within parentheses. echo also has a shortcut syntax, where you can immediately follow the opening tag with an equals sign. Prior to PHP 5.4.0, this short syn- tax only works with the short_open_tag configuration setting enabled. I have <?=$foo?> foo. PARAMETERS
o $arg1 - The parameter to output. o $... - RETURN VALUES
No value is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 echo examples <?php echo "Hello World"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well"; echo "This spans multiple lines. The newlines will be output as well."; echo "Escaping characters is done "Like this"."; // You can use variables inside of an echo statement $foo = "foobar"; $bar = "barbaz"; echo "foo is $foo"; // foo is foobar // You can also use arrays $baz = array("value" => "foo"); echo "this is {$baz['value']} !"; // this is foo ! // Using single quotes will print the variable name, not the value echo 'foo is $foo'; // foo is $foo // If you are not using any other characters, you can just echo variables echo $foo; // foobar echo $foo,$bar; // foobarbarbaz // Some people prefer passing multiple parameters to echo over concatenation. echo 'This ', 'string ', 'was ', 'made ', 'with multiple parameters.', chr(10); echo 'This ' . 'string ' . 'was ' . 'made ' . 'with concatenation.' . " "; echo <<<END This uses the "here document" syntax to output multiple lines with $variable interpolation. Note that the here document terminator must appear on a line with just a semicolon. no extra whitespace! END; // Because echo does not behave like a function, the following code is invalid. ($some_var) ? echo 'true' : echo 'false'; // However, the following examples will work: ($some_var) ? print 'true' : print 'false'; // print is also a construct, but // it behaves like a function, so // it may be used in this context. echo $some_var ? 'true': 'false'; // changing the statement around ?> NOTES
Note Because this is a language construct and not a function, it cannot be called using variable functions. SEE ALSO
print(3), printf(3), flush(3), Heredoc syntax. PHP Documentation Group ECHO(3)