Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Counting files in a given directory Post 302472142 by Corona688 on Tuesday 16th of November 2010 11:30:09 AM
Old 11-16-2010
Anything that counts files will have to do so the same way: checking directory entries. So there's no special "faster ls". (If there was, why wouldn't we use it for everything?)

If you can compile on this machine, this program can provide a running total, updated once a second:

Code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <time.h>

int lines=0;

int main(void)
{
	time_t timer=time(NULL);
	char buf[16384];
	while(fgets(buf, 16384, stdin) != NULL)
	{
		lines++;

if((time(NULL)-timer) > 1)
		{
			fprintf(stderr, "\r%d", lines);
			timer=time(NULL);
		}
	}

printf("%d\n", lines);

return(0);
}

It only reads from stdin.

---------- Post updated at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdepollo
I'm still trying to figure out how to count those files. It would be enough for me if I could find out an approximate value, and not the exact number.
Very approximate since it includes directory entries as well, but since counting 4 million files is going to be hard, it might have to do.
This User Gave Thanks to Corona688 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm files in a directory, looping, counting, then exit

I am trying to write a script that will look for a file in a directory, then remove it. I need it to loop until it has removed a certain number of files. Is it better to do a repeat or to list each file in a pattern? Files will be numbered like RAF.01.*, RAF.02.*, etc. Thanks, James (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JporterFDX
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of files in a directory

Some simple questions from a simple man. If i wanted to count the number of files contained within a directory, say /tmp would ls -l /tmp ¦ wc -l suffice and will it be accurate? second one: How would i check the number of files with a certain string in the filename, in the same directory. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamalex
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Line counting in Directory

I want to count the no of lines for files (.c and .h) present in a directory structure. My code is: #!/bin/bash # Usage: linecount.sh directory_name for file in $(find $1 -name ); do wc -l "$file" >> filecount.txt done Problem is that the directory structure is really big... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MobileUser
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting files in a directory that match a pattern

I have 20 files in a direcotry like BARE01_DLY_MKT_YYYYMMDD. The MKT differes for all these files but the remaining syntax remains the same for a particular day. If I am checking for today I need to make sure that there are 20 files that start with BARE01_DLY_MKT_20060720. How can I write a... (31 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsravan
31 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting lines of code in a directory with awk

I've never toyed with awk, but it seems every time I present an elegant 2- to 8-line script, someone comes back with an awk 1-liner. I just came up with this to count all the lines of source code in a directory. How would I do it in awk? LINES=0 for n in $(wc -l *.cpp *.h | cut -b-7); do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KenJackson
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of readable, writable, and executable items in a directory

Hello, I'm writing a script in sh in which the first command line argument is a directory. from that, i'm suppose to count the number of readable, writable, and executable items in the directory. I know using $1 represents the directory, and ls would display all the items in the directory, and that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kratos22
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of folders in a Directory

Help Needed ! Can we count number of folders of specific date in a directory, even if directory has folders of different dates. Please reply as soon as possible. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishal_215
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of characters in the filename of all files in a directory?

I am trying to display the output of ls and also print the number of characters in EVERY file name. This is what I have so far: #!/bin/sh for x in `ls`; do echo The number of characters in x | wc -m done Any help appreciated (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LinuxNubBrah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting the number of files within a directory input by the user

So I have a loop that stated if a directory exists or not. If it does it prints the number of files within that directory. I use this code... result=`(ls -l . | egrep -c '^-')` However, no matter which directory I input, it outputs the number "2" What is wrong here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: itech4814
4 Replies
SDL_AddTimer(3) 						 SDL API Reference						   SDL_AddTimer(3)

NAME
SDL_AddTimer - Add a timer which will call a callback after the specified number of milliseconds has elapsed. SYNOPSIS
#include "SDL.h" SDL_TimerID SDL_AddTimer(Uint32 interval, SDL_NewTimerCallback callback, void *param); CALLBACK
/* type definition for the "new" timer callback function */ typedef Uint32 (*SDL_NewTimerCallback)(Uint32 interval, void *param); DESCRIPTION
Adds a callback function to be run after the specified number of milliseconds has elapsed. The callback function is passed the current timer interval and the user supplied parameter from the SDL_AddTimer call and returns the next timer interval. If the returned value from the callback is the same as the one passed in, the periodic alarm continues, otherwise a new alarm is scheduled. To cancel a currently running timer call SDL_RemoveTimer with the timer ID returned from SDL_AddTimer. The timer callback function may run in a different thread than your main program, and so shouldn't call any functions from within itself. You may always call SDL_PushEvent, however. The granularity of the timer is platform-dependent, but you should count on it being at least 10 ms as this is the most common number. This means that if you request a 16 ms timer, your callback will run approximately 20 ms later on an unloaded system. If you wanted to set a flag signaling a frame update at 30 frames per second (every 33 ms), you might set a timer for 30 ms (see example below). If you use this function, you need to pass SDL_INIT_TIMER to SDL_Init. RETURN VALUE
Returns an ID value for the added timer or NULL if there was an error. EXAMPLES
my_timer_id = SDL_AddTimer((33/10)*10, my_callbackfunc, my_callback_param); SEE ALSO
SDL_RemoveTimer, SDL_PushEvent SDL
Tue 11 Sep 2001, 23:01 SDL_AddTimer(3)