Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX "rmt0" is not a valid backing device - VIO Post 302471903 by dukessd on Monday 15th of November 2010 02:30:52 PM
Old 11-15-2010
OK, yes, it seems it is now OK to virtualise tapes but only a few drives are supported and as yours shows as "Other SCSI Tape Drive" I guess it is not one of the few.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg247590.pdf
Page 23:

Supported tape drives at the time of writing are:
Feature Code 5907 36/72 GB 4 mm DAT72 SAS Tape Drive
Feature Code 5619 DAT160: 80/160 GB DAT160 SAS Tape Drive
Feature Code 5746 Half High 800 GB/1.6 TB LTO4 SAS Tape Drive

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Mapping between "Pseudo name" and "Logical device ID" in powerpath with SVM changed....

Dear All, I was having powerpath 5.2 on SUN server with SVM connected to CLARIION box.Please find the following output : root # powermt display dev=all Pseudo name=emcpower3a CLARiiON ID=CK200073400372 Logical device ID=60060160685D1E004DD97FB647BFDC11 state=alive; policy=CLAROpt;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reboot
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with error "por: 0403-012 A test command parameter is not valid."

Hi, im asking for help with the next script: echo ^; then if then printf "\033 query1.sh: export TERM=vt100 export ORACLE_TERM=at386 export ORACLE_HOME=/home_oracle8i/app/oracle/product/8.1.7 export ORACLE_BASE=/home_oracle8i/app/oracle export... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
8 Replies

5. AIX

"Please mount volume 2 on /dev/rmt0.1" message during mksysb restore

Dear all First of all, my English not so good. We have p52a (production server) and p52a (test server). Tape drives are VXA2. When both servers were AIX 5.3, mksysb on production server and restoring to test server was OK. The production server was AIX 5.3 and recently upgraded to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifa15pc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

8. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
BUTC_LOGS(5)							AFS File Reference						      BUTC_LOGS(5)

NAME
       butc_logs - Message logs from the Tape Coordinator process

DESCRIPTION
       The Backup System Tape Coordinator (butc) process generates two log files per device, one for error messages and one for actions.

Error Message Log
       The TE_device_name file logs error messages generated by the Backup System Tape Coordinator that controls the tape device or backup data
       file indicated by device_name.

As the Tape Coordinator initializes, it creates the file in ASCII format in the /var/lib/openafs/backup directory. If there is an existing
       file, the Tape Coordinator renames it to TE_device_name.old>, overwriting the existing TE_device_name.old> file if it exists.

For a tape device, the Tape Coordinator derives the variable device_name portion of the filename from the device pathname listed in the
       local /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, by stripping off the initial "/dev/" string and replacing any other slashes in the name with
       underscores. For example, the filename for a device called /dev/rmt/4m is TE_rmt_4m. Similarly, for a backup data file the Tape Coordinator
       strips off the initial slash ("/") and replaces any other slashes in the name with underscores. For example, the filename for a backup data
       file called /var/tmp/FILE is TE_var_tmp_FILE.

The messages in the file describe the error and warning conditions the Tape Coordinator encounters as it operates. For instance, a message
       can list the volumes that are inaccessible during a dump operation, or warn that the Tape Coordinator is overwriting a tape or backup data
       file. The messages also appear in the /var/lib/openafs/backup/TL_device_name file, which traces most of the Tape Coordinator's actions.

Action Log
       The TL_device_name file logs the actions performed by the Backup System Tape Coordinator that controls the tape device or backup data file
       indicated by device_name. It also records the same error and warning messages written to the TE_device_name file.

As the Tape Coordinator initializes, it creates the file in ASCII format in the /var/lib/openafs/backup directory. If there is an existing
       file, the Tape Coordinator renames it to TL_device_name.old, overwriting the existing TL_device_name.old file if it exists.

For a tape device, the Tape Coordinator derives the variable device_name portion of the filename from the device pathname listed in the
       local /var/lib/openafs/backup/tapeconfig file, by stripping off the initial "/dev/" string and replacing any other slashes in the name with
       underscores. For example, the filename for a device called /dev/rmt/4m is TL_rmt_4m. Similarly, for a backup data file the Tape Coordinator
       strips off the initial slash ("/") and replaces any other slashes in the name with underscores. For example, the filename for a backup data
       file called /var/tmp/FILE is TL_var_tmp_FILE.

SEE ALSO
       tapeconfig(5), butc(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26							      BUTC_LOGS(5)