Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Place variables at the beginning of each line Post 302471900 by Franklin52 on Monday 15th of November 2010 02:27:24 PM
Old 11-15-2010
Another one:
Code:
awk '/^[a-z]/{s=s?s FS $2:$2; print; next}{$1=s FS $1}1' file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Script with line number at beginning of each line.

Could anybody help me. I need to create a script that reads a text file from STDIN and prints out the file to STDOUT with line numbers at the beginning of each line. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mascorro
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting the value of a line, that changes place

Hi I am trying to get the value of several results in a file called seq032.diag. The values I am looking for is down under Smooth Tracking nodes and is for g01r01 g02r01 s01t02 etc etc. The problem is that when I try to use look for text and tail etc, it works fine in one result file. In... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Navigatorchief
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED command help: Can we pass predefined variables in place of regex

Hi All, I have a doubt. Can we assign a regular expression for pattern searching to a variable in a script and then use that variable in place of a regular expression in sed command.I tried but got some syntax error!!Is it not possible.Because my requirement is that i have a generic script to get... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using NR with two variables at the beginning of awk

hi My requirement is this: I have a file having around 100000 records pipe delimited. Now I want to compare record 1 with record 2 and similarly record3 with record 4, this goes on.. For this purpose i put a script as follows: #!bin/ksh ct_line=1 nxt_line=`expr ${ct_line} + 1` awk -F "|"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Space at beginning of the line

How can I delete spaces at the begining of all lines of my file ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to specify beginning-of-line/end-of-line characters inside a regex range

How can I specify special meaning characters like ^ or $ inside a regex range. e.g Suppose I want to search for a string that either starts with '|' character or begins with start-of-line character. I tried the following but it does not work: sed 's/\(\)/<do something here>/g' file1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jawsnnn
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vim copy line and paste at the beginning, middle, and end of another line

How would you do vim copy line and paste at the beginning, middle, and end of another line. I know yy copies the whole line and p pastes the whole line, but on its own separate line. Sometimes I would like to copy a line to the beginning, middle, or end of another line. I would think this would be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

comment a line of the patterns is a the beginning of the line

I need to comment the lines starting with pattern "exclude" or "exclude=". If the work exclude comes at any other part, ignore it. Also, ignore, excludes, excluded etc. Ie only comment the line starting with exclude. File contents. exclude exclude= hi I am excluded excludes excludes= ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anil510
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginning less from line #

Hi from a script i want to to read a file beginning at line e.g. number 21 to the EOF. less +n21 temp.txt Bevor the result, it brings an empty page, so that i cant use for scripting. Any idea how the problem can be solved? Thanks in advance! IMPe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Remove new line for a particular place

Hello All, I have a text file which gets uploaded to tables using shells script. However before running that script I need to alter it, like in the below I have to firstly find the word 1234 and remove the new line from end of it. 1234,5678,fasfasasfsadf abc changes to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sandeep_sandy
11 Replies
rc.config(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						      rc.config(4)

NAME
rc.config, rc.config.d - files containing system configuration information SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
The system configuration used at startup is contained in files within the directory The file sources all of the files within and and exports their contents to the environment. /etc/rc.config The file is a script that sources all of the scripts, and also sources To read the configuration definitions, only this file need be sourced. This file is sourced by whenever it is run, such as when the command is run to transition between run states. Each file that exists in is sourced, without regard to which startup scripts are to be executed. /etc/rc.config.d The configuration information is structured as a directory of files, rather than as a single file containing the same information. This allows developers to create and manage their own configuration files here, without the complications of shared ownership and access of a common file. /etc/rc.config.d/* Files This is where files containing configuration variable assignments are located. Configuration scripts must be written to be read by the POSIX shell, and not the Bourne shell, or In some cases, these files must also be read and possibly modified by control scripts or the sam program. See sd(4) and sam(1M). For this reason, each variable definition must appear on a separate line, with the syntax: No trailing comments may appear on a variable definition line. Comment statements must be on separate lines, with the comment character in column one. This example shows the required syntax for configuration files: Configuration variables may be declared as array parameters when describing multiple instances of the variable configuration. For example, a system may contain two network interfaces, each having a unique IP address and subnet mask (see ifconfig(1M)). An example of such a dec- laration is as follows: Note that there must be no requirements on the order of the files sourced. This means configuration files must not refer to variables defined in other configuration files, since there is no guarantee that the variable being referenced is currently defined. There is no protection against environment variable namespace collision in these configuration files. Programmers must take care to avoid such prob- lems. /etc/TIMEZONE The file contains the definition of the environment variable. This file is required by POSIX. It is sourced by at the same time the files are sourced. SEE ALSO
rc(1M). rc.config(4)