Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Question about getopts
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Question about getopts Post 302471810 by purdym on Monday 15th of November 2010 08:49:12 AM
Old 11-15-2010
Try something like:

Code:
print_options ()
{
   cat <<EOF

Usage:${PROGRAM_NAME##*/}

Optional Parameters:
           [[-d] [-v] | [-q]]

EOF
exit 0

}

###################################################################################
# this short curcuit is needed for when no parameters are given
###################################################################################
if [[ $1 == "" ]]
then
   print_options

fi

while getopts ":dhqTv" OPT                              # While there is a command line option
do
   case $OPT in
      d)   DEBUG_STRING=" -d "                                  # this is used to pass this flag to another script
           let "DEBUG += 1"
           (( $DEBUG >= 2 )) && print_status_message "DEBUG: DEBUG=$DEBUG" DEBUG
           dFLAG=$TRUE
           (( $DEBUG >= 2 )) && print_status_message "DEBUG: dFLAG=${TFSTATUS[$dFLAG]}" DEBUG
           ;;

h)   print_options;;

q)   QUIET_STRING=" -q "                                  # this is used to pass this flag to another script
           QUIET=$TRUE
           qFLAG=$TRUE
           (( $DEBUG >= 2 )) && print_status_message "DEBUG: qFLAG=${TFSTATUS[$aFLAG]}" DEBUG
           ;;

T)   TESTING_STRING=" -T "                                # this is used to pass this flag to another script
           TESTING=$TRUE
           TFLAG=$TRUE
           (( $DEBUG >= 2 )) && print_status_message "DEBUG: TFLAG=${TFSTATUS[$TFLAG]}" DEBUG
           ;;

v)   VERBOSE_STRING=" -v "                                # this is used to pass this flag to another script
           let "VERBOSE += 1"
           (( $DEBUG >= 2 )) && print_status_message "DEBUG: VERBOSE=$VERBOSE" DEBUG
           vFLAG=$TRUE
           (( $DEBUG >= 2 )) && print_status_message "DEBUG: vFLAG=${TFSTATUS[$vFLAG]}" DEBUG
           ;;

?)   print_status_message "ERROR: Unknown flag encountered.\n" ERROR
           print_options
           exit -1
           ;;

esac
done                                            # end -

This User Gave Thanks to purdym For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in getopts

hey need help with getopts again. i am using getopts to read my command line options and arguments. i can manage to do for options that have only one argument e.g srcipt_name -f 3 i am able to use getopts to do this but i am having problems two accept more than two agruments e.g.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: problems
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

question about getopts

hello there I am back with more questions (sorry it is been quite a while since I had done scripting). I had tried the search function to search for the threads that might have an answer to my question, but I could not find it, so I had decided to post it. I had created the scripts below in ksh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahtat99
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts question!!!

is there a better way to check if all args are set??? while getopts h:p:u: opt do case "$opt" in h) host="$OPTARG";; p) port="$OPTARG";; u) user="$OPTARG";; \?) echo >&2 \ "usage: $0 -h host -p port -u user" exit 1;; esac done ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andy2000
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts help

Hi i have part of the scripts below ,getopt for -h or ? not working for me. can anybody tell me if this sytax right or wrong. #!/usr/bin/ksh program=$(basename $0) ##################################################################################### function usageerr { RC=1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GrepMe
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts question

could anyone please tell me what this will automatically set my variable all=True.... #!/bin/sh all=FALSE while getopts a: option do case "option" in a) all=TRUE;; /?) echo "...... " exit 1;; esac done if then echo "true" else echo "false" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: k2k
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getopts question

I am trying to set up prompts when you don't enter the right information or dont enter the information at all, when executing a script. Below is the question that i am asking and i am not sure how to set up the if statements to make sure that the user enters the name, cpu's, memory and ip. I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rookieuxixsa
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

? used in getopts

Suppose I have a code below . while getopts a: opt do case $opt in a) app_name="$OPTARG";; *) echo "$opt is an invalid option"; exit 1;; ?) echo "The value of $OPTARG is an invalid option"; exit 1;; esac done Could anyone please tell me in which case my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maitree
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getopts help

Hi All, I am writing a script to pass the getopts argument to the function which I have. But it as soon as I execute the script, the argument is taking it as blank. I tried using multiple way to check but its not working. Can someone please let me know what wrong in this code. function1()... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sidh_arth85
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using getopts

Hi. Can somebody please show me an example of how to use getopts to assign a variable if it's been passed into the script but to set a default if no value has been passed in? And also how to handle a param with multiple values ... so a sub parse (can I use a function for this?)? Here's my code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: user052009
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question about getopts optional argument [args...]

There are many places where I can see the syntax description for optargs, which, usually boils down to this: getopts OPTSTRING VARNAME where: OPTSTRING tells getopts which options to expect and where to expect arguments VARNAME tells getopts which shell-variable to use for option reporting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharkura
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-DEBUG-GENERATOR(8)				      systemd-debug-generator					SYSTEMD-DEBUG-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-debug-generator - Generator for enabling a runtime debug shell and masking specific units at boot SYNOPSIS
/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-debug-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-debug-generator is a generator that reads the kernel command line and understands three options: If the systemd.mask= option is specified and followed by a unit name, this unit is masked for the runtime, similar to the effect of systemctl(1)'s mask command. This is useful to boot with certain units removed from the initial boot transaction for debugging system startup. May be specified more than once. If the systemd.wants= option is specified and followed by a unit name, a start job for this unit is added to the initial transaction. This is useful to start one or more additional units at boot. May be specified more than once. If the systemd.debug_shell option is specified, the debug shell service "debug-shell.service" is pulled into the boot transaction. It will spawn a debug shell on tty9 during early system startup. Note that the shell may also be turned on persistently by enabling it with systemctl(1)'s enable command. systemd-debug-generator implements systemd.generator(7). SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), kernel-command-line(7) systemd 237 SYSTEMD-DEBUG-GENERATOR(8)