Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX HELP: Howto update an lpp_source in NIM Post 302471772 by bakunin on Monday 15th of November 2010 05:03:03 AM
Old 11-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestox
Try not to mix your lpp_source base install filesets with update filesets. It can potentially lead to problems, when performing new bos installs with the updated lpp_source
This in fact is the main reason: do not change resources you used once to install. You will not be able to re-do the installation process for systems you installed using these resources once you changed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manifestox
What i usually do is create a base install lpp_source , a lpp_source for stable updates, and a lpp_source for latest and greatest updates.
This is sound advice. Another take would be to copy the base LPPSOURCE and SPOT resources you want to update (fs-copy will do), create new NIM resources from these copies and update into them. This way you still retain the original resources should you need them.

IMHO the most important point in managing a NIM-server is to stay as flexible as possible. If you are able to install any update, base level, fix, etc. separately your flexibility is greater than otherwise.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Howto upgrade AIX to Level Update 4320-02_AIX_ML

Hi, Installing a new version of PROGRESS DB software 9.1c requires us to upgrade AIX to Level Update 4320-02_AIX_ML ( http://techweb.progress.com/kbase/19779 ) How would a do this savely. This is what i have already. 1) take a system backup. 2) find the level we are on right now. #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: progressdll
1 Replies

2. AIX

NIM ML update

My nim master have to updated with new ml 06 . how do i know which version my nim master is currently? how to update nim -o update -a packages=all -a source=/software/aix52ml06 /lpp_sourse Is this ok.. ?? thanks govind.g (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: govindarajan
1 Replies

3. AIX

migrate NIM server through NIM installation

I try to migrate a NIM server from one server to another. I try to do a mksysb on NIM server restore the NIM server's mksysb to a client through NIM installation shutdown NIM server start newly installed client as NIM server Does anyone do this before? who can give me some suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanzhang
1 Replies

4. AIX

Back up a client NIM from nim master

Hello everyone Im trying to backup a nim client from nim master but I got this message COMMAND STATUS Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below. 0042-001 nim:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

5. AIX

Add a bundle to a lpp_source

Hi. I forgot a bundle (X11.dt) in the lpp_source (base OS AIX 7.1). The bundle is now in the CD drive, I need to add it permanently in the lpp_source. What do I have to do ? - copy (where ?) bundle on my NIM server (how to determine what files to copy to have all elements of the bundle ?) ?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stephnane
1 Replies

6. AIX

mksysb, lpp_source and SPOT version matching

Hi all, I'm trying to understand the requirements for AIX version matching between a SPOT, LPP_SOURCE and my mksysb images. I have a NIM server installed, and I've used it to install new LPARs both from the LPP_SOURCE and from mksysb files. These were based off 7100-00-01. Recently I created... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SamuraiMark
1 Replies

7. AIX

[Howto] Update AIX in HACMP cluster-nodes

As i have updated a lot of HACMP-nodes lately the question arises how to do it with minimal downtime. Of course it is easily possible to have a downtime and do the version update during this. In the best of worlds you always get the downtime you need - unfortunately we have yet to find this best of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
4 Replies

8. AIX

Problem in communication nim client with nim master

Hello, I have an AIX6.1 machine which is a nim client to my nim master which is also AIX6.1 machine. I had some problem to perform an installation on my client using smit nim . i removed /etc/niminfo file in order to do the initialization again but when i run the command niminit -a name=client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
0 Replies

9. AIX

How to know NIM name from NIM client?

Friend's, I was playing around with NIM in my environment & had a quick question in mind which I didn't/couldn't find answer to, which is -- how to find the name of the NIM server sitting on the NIM client? All leads to the answer would be much appreciated, many thanks! -- Souvik (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thisissouvik
2 Replies

10. AIX

Update vs. install media, and LPP_SOURCE naming

Hello all, Relative AIX novice here: I'm trying to clarify the naming of AIX install vs. update media, and how best to name my lpp_sources on my NIM server. An example: I have two sets of DVDs from IBM (ordered via Entitled Software Support) sitting in front of me for 7100-03-04. One set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dmark
1 Replies
XtGetApplicationResources(3)					   XT FUNCTIONS 				      XtGetApplicationResources(3)

NAME
XtGetApplicationResources, XtVaGetApplicationResources - obtain application resources SYNTAX
void XtGetApplicationResources(Widget w, XtPointer base, XtResourceList resources, Cardinal num_resources, ArgList args, Cardinal num_args); void XtVaGetApplicationResources(Widget w, XtPointer base, XtResourceList resources, Cardinal num_resources, ...); ARGUMENTS
args Specifies the argument list to override resources obtained from the resource database. base Specifies the base address of the subpart data structure where the resources should be written. num_args Specifies the number of arguments in the argument list. num_resources Specifies the number of resources in the resource list. resources Specifies the resource list for the subpart. w Specifies the widget that wants resources for a subpart or that identifies the resource database to search. ... Specifies the variable arguments to override resources obtained from the resource database. DESCRIPTION
The XtGetApplicationResources function first uses the passed widget, which is usually an application shell, to construct a resource name and class list, Then, it retrieves the resources from the argument list, the resource database, or the resource list default values. After adding base to each address, XtGetApplicationResources copies the resources into the address given in the resource list. If args is NULL, num_args must be zero. However, if num_args is zero, the argument list is not referenced. The portable way to specify application resources is to declare them as members of a structure and pass the address of the structure as the base argument. SEE ALSO
X Toolkit Intrinsics - C Language Interface Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libXt 1.1.3 XtGetApplicationResources(3)