Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX "rmt0" is not a valid backing device - VIO Post 302471703 by dukessd on Sunday 14th of November 2010 06:41:52 PM
Old 11-14-2010
The OS level of your VIO is AIX 6.1.3.0?
As far as I know the latest level of VIOS is 2.2, you should not use the AIX level as a reference for a VIOS partition.

You cannot virtualize tape drives, only hard disks and recently CD / DVD devices can be virtualized, hence the message that your tape is not a valid backing device.

HTH.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Mapping between "Pseudo name" and "Logical device ID" in powerpath with SVM changed....

Dear All, I was having powerpath 5.2 on SUN server with SVM connected to CLARIION box.Please find the following output : root # powermt display dev=all Pseudo name=emcpower3a CLARiiON ID=CK200073400372 Logical device ID=60060160685D1E004DD97FB647BFDC11 state=alive; policy=CLAROpt;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Reboot
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with error "por: 0403-012 A test command parameter is not valid."

Hi, im asking for help with the next script: echo ^; then if then printf "\033 query1.sh: export TERM=vt100 export ORACLE_TERM=at386 export ORACLE_HOME=/home_oracle8i/app/oracle/product/8.1.7 export ORACLE_BASE=/home_oracle8i/app/oracle export... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
8 Replies

5. AIX

"Please mount volume 2 on /dev/rmt0.1" message during mksysb restore

Dear all First of all, my English not so good. We have p52a (production server) and p52a (test server). Tape drives are VXA2. When both servers were AIX 5.3, mksysb on production server and restoring to test server was OK. The production server was AIX 5.3 and recently upgraded to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fifa15pc
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

8. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
mt(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mt(1)

Name
       mt - magnetic tape manipulating program

Syntax
       mt [-f tapename] command [count]

Description
       The command permits the operation of a magnetic tape drive.

Options
       The  -f	flag  option  uses  the specified tape device (next argument) in place of either that tape device defined by your TAPE environment
       variable (.login or .profile) or /dev/nrmt0h.

Some operations may be performed multiple times by specifying count.  By default, performs the requested operation once.

The command argument defines the operation to be performed.  Only as many characters as are required to uniquely identify a command need be
       specified.

The following is a list of commands:

bsf		   Backspace count files.

bsr		   Backspace count records.

cache		   Allows to use the cache buffer on a tape drive that has the cache buffer feature.

clhrdsf		   Clear  hardware/software problem.  Works with tape drives which use the TMSCP tape controller interface This command is
			   restricted to root access only.

clserex		   Clear serious exception.  Works with tape drives which use the TMSCP tape controller interface

clsub		   Clear subsystem.  Works with tape drives which use the TMSCP tape controller interface This command	is  restricted	to
			   root access only.

eof, weof	   Write count end-of-file marks at the current position on the tape.

eotdis		   Disable  end-of-tape  detection.   When the end of tape is reached, the tape will run off the reel.	Only the superuser
			   can issue this command.  The command remains in effect for the device until end-of-tape detection is enabled  with  the
			   eoten command.

eoten		   Enable  end-of-tape	detection.   When the end-of-tape markers are reached, the tape is halted on the reel, between the
			   two end-of-tape markers.  Only the superuser can issue this command.  The command remains  in  effect  for  the  device
			   until end-of-tape detection is disabled with the eotdis command.  This is the default mode after a system boot.

fsf		   Forward-space count files.

fsr		   Forward-space count records.

nocache		   Disables the use of the cache buffer for any tape drive that has the cache buffer feature.

offline, rewoffl    Rewind the tape and place the tape unit off-line.

retension	   Retensions the tape.  Retension means moving the tape one complete pass between EOT and BOT.

rewind		   Rewind the tape.

status		   Print status information about the tape unit.

Examples
       This example shows how to rewind the tape
       mt -f /dev/rmt0l rewind
       This example shows how to backspace the tape nmt1h three files:
       mt -f /dev/nrmt1h bsf 3
       This example shows how to write two end-of-file marks at the current position on tape nmt6h:
       mt -f /dev/nrmt6h eof 2

Return Values
       In  shell  scripts, returns a 0 exit status when the operation(s) were successful, 1 if the command was unrecognized, and 2 if an operation
       failed.

Files
       /dev/rmt?h or /dev/rmt?l
		 Raw magnetic tape interface with rewind when closed

/dev/nmt?h or /dev/nmt?l
		 Raw magnetic tape interface with no rewind when closed

See Also
       dd(1), tar(1), ioctl(2), mtio(4), tms(4), environ(7)

mt(1)