Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to improve throughput?
Special Forums IP Networking How to improve throughput? Post 302471531 by andrewust on Saturday 13th of November 2010 10:50:55 AM
Old 11-13-2010
Question How to improve throughput?

I have a 10Gbps network link connecting two machines A and B. I want to transfer 20GB data from A to B using TCP. With default setting, I can use 50% bandwidth. How to improve the throughput? Is there any way to make throughput as close to 10Gbps as possible? thanks~ Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how can i test my tape throughput in Mb/sec?

Is there a tool or cmd line program i can use to test my tape throughput in Mb/sec? thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: progressdll
2 Replies

2. High Performance Computing

IBM Scheduler for High Throughput Computing on IBM Blue Gene P

A lightweight scheduler that supports high-throughput computing (HTC) applications on Blue Gene/P. (NEW: 06/12/2008 in grid) More... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tool to monitor throughput

Was wonder if there was a tool or program I could run to measure throughput on our CentoS 4.x server. Our current dedicated host provider is charging us by how much throughput we are using and I just want to see if their numbers add up to whatever I get using a throughput tool of some kind. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcraul
6 Replies

4. IP Networking

Gigabit Link throughput

As a rule of thumb in doing calculations, what figure would you use in Mbytes/sec? I know the answer varies grealty on the topolgy of the network but I wonde what newteok engineers use a rough rule of thumb? Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: debd
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Network writes contantly spiking in throughput

Hey guys First post... and im not exactly a solaris guru but here goes Ive setup a solaris 10 box with a raidz2 set of 6 disks... I have also setup Samba with open shares for some CIFs access... now my issue is that when i transfer large files to it the network performance contantly... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: silicoon
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Throughput problems with solaris aggregation

Hello gurus, I have the following configuration in the server side: # dladm show-aggr key: 33 (0x0021) policy: L4 address: 0:14:4f:6c:11:8 (auto) device address speed duplex link state nxge0 0:14:4f:6c:11:8 1000 Mbps ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FERCA
3 Replies

7. IP Networking

Issue with ns2 - no throughput data

Hello, First time poster here hoping to get some help with ns2. I've recently started using ns2(first time user) but I'm having difficulty getting the results I'm after. I am trying to set up a network with wireless nodes(5-15 nodes) and then use xgraph to display a timing diagram,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: UnicksMan
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

OID for Bandwith and Throughput Measurement

Hey Guys, Does anybody know, which OID's of Net-SNMP is used to collect throughput and bandwith usage of machine?? I got these OID's ..iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOutOctets ..1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: franzramadhan
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Bonding IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation : Bond showing less than desired throughput

Hi All, I have done IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation bond configuration with name bond0 which has 4 slaves (each 25GB/s) in it on cent os 6.8. Issue i am facing is bonding throughput is only 50GB/s not 100GB/s. below are the configuration files : DEVICE=bond0 IPADDR=xx.xx.xx.xx... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
1 Replies
alt(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						    alt(7)

NAME
alt - DEGPA Gigabit Ethernet interface SYNOPSIS
config_driver alt DESCRIPTION
The alt interface provides access to Gigabit Ethernet (1000Mbs) through the DEGPA device. The interface supports full-duplex operation in a switched or point-to-point configuration, and provides the following features: The interface has Link Autonegotiation enabled by default. Some switches do not support Link Autonegotiation. To turn Link Autonegotiation off, use the following command: # lan_config -ialt0 -a0 Note that you may add this command to the /etc/inet.local file to preserve the set- ting of Link Autonegotiation across system restarts. JUMBO packets are disabled by default. JUMBO packets provide a non-standard larger packet size. This enables the interface to carry more data with less CPU overhead. To enable JUMBO packets, use the following command: # ifconfig alt0 ipmtu 9000 Note that there are several interoperability issues with using JUMBO packets (for example, if your switch goes from 1000Mbps to a 100Mbps client, JUMBO packets will not work on a 100Mbps LAN). In order to use JUMBO frames, you will need a switch that supports JUMBO frames or a point-to-point configuration with a partner that supports JUMBO frames. Receive flow control is enabled. There is currently no way to turn this off. Gigabit Ethernet performance with TCP/IP depends on several factors. Some of the influencing factors are as follows: The speed at which data can be delivered to the interface influences throughput. If your CPU(s) are busy doing several tasks, the task using Gigabit Ethernet may not get enough run time to deliver packets. In general, faster CPUs will deliver better throughput. Fast access to the PCI bus is critical for high throughput. Using a 64-bit PCI slot will give you better performance and use less PCI resources than a 32-bit PCI slot. Putting the interface on the same PCI bus as other peripherals will degrade throughput. Each system type may also have different PCI-to- host speed considerations (the speed at which the PCI-to-host hardware allows the device to operate). The standard TCP/IP applications (for example, ftp and rcp) are not designed to run at Gigabit speeds. TCP applications that expect performance should use a message size of 65000 bytes and a window size of 128000 bytes. Even when an application is modified to use these settings, high throughput may not be attainable. This is particularly true when an application is waiting for data to send (data from a disk, for example). ERRORS
The following diagnostic and error messages contain relevant information provided by the alt interface, and are displayed to the console. Each message begins with the adapter identification, including the number of the adapter. The alt interface could not find adequate I/O addressing on this system to operate. This is a fatal error, and the DEGPA-SA will not operate on this system. There was a memory alloca- tion problem or the device initialization has failed. This is indicative of a hardware problem. Indicates that the Gigabit Ethernet link is up. The Autonegotiated keyword indicates that the link was autonegotiated. Note, this will only be on if autonegotiation is enabled). The ReceiveFlowControl keyword indicates that Receive Flow control is enabled on the link. Indicates that the link is no longer estab- lished. No communication will occur over the link while it is down. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: ifconfig(8), lan_config(8) Files: inet.local(4) Network information: arp(7), inet(7), netintro(7) delim off alt(7)