Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Problems with IF Else ??!!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problems with IF Else ??!! Post 302471513 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 13th of November 2010 09:29:12 AM
Old 11-13-2010
Hi, you cannot assign a value to a variable like that on line #1. Therefore the variable is empty on line 2 and thus awk waits patiently for user input. If you indent your code properly, you'll spot some more problems. Don't use continue in an if statement...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'make' problems (compliation problems?)

I'm trying to compile and install both most recent version of 'make' and the most recent version of 'openssh' on my Sparc20. I've run into the following problems... and I don't know what they mean. Can someone please help me resolve these issues? I'm using the 'make' version that was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Few problems

Hi how can i do this? 1) shell script which writes data and time on to a file if filesystem exceeds 70% of space. 2) make entry to cron table to run a script every 15 mins. and can anyone expplain or demonstrate the difference between variables used in inside a function and outside a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekshankar
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problems with Last

Hi, I,ve a Unixware 7.1.3 working correctly for two years ago, since a several weeks I've a problem with the command last . The information that this command return is : For example : 1.- The user root , time login : 12:15 h, time logoff 12:15 h (the real time is 14:00). Connected time is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: By_Jam
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problems with If

I'm having problems uses "if" it works fine when i do this. #!/bin/sh a= 10 qw= 2 w= 20 { if && ;then echo 3 fi } However if i try to do #!/bin/sh a= 10 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: THM
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with using less

Hello, I am having problems with using less on Linux version 2.6.18-92.1.17.el5 (brewbuilder@hs20-bc1-7.build.redhat.com) (gcc version 4.1.2 20071124 (Red Hat 4.1.2-42)). I am using csh but have the same problems on bash. If I pipe something to less it works perfectly i.e. cat file | less... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with $?

Hello, I have the following piece of code that tries to retrieve the result of a .sh: . $HOME/prueba/Scripts/Recogida/recogida_sedra.sh resultado=$? echo "el resultado es : $resultado" if ; then echo "Se va a preprocesar los archivos" In the code of recogida.sh I have the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: danietepa
8 Replies

7. SuSE

Problems!!

good friends I am new to linux and I have the following TELNET service problem entering data devo telnet to a Windows server 2003 server and passes will not let me since the move to this server by telnet tells me the characters and thus invalidates me income, I have a service application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pepetico
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

If/then problems

#! /bin/bash # ask what the user would like to do CMD=$CMD MBA=$MB RS=$RS CT=$CT echo echo -n "What would you like to do?? REMEMBER WHEN PROGRAMMING ICP's TO SELECT CORRECT COMMAND ACCORDING TO NECCESSARY TYPE CODE! Please enter a command ct = program ctek ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tdalyman
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

About ps -ef and if-else problems

I'm new in Shell Programming and Scripting, I would like to ask some questions. ps -ef | grep $appNAme | grep -v grep <-- what will it return when it find a process is running? return 1 or 0 if then exit 1 <--- if = 0 , run this ? else continue <--- if = 1 , run this ?... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoAlex
5 Replies
softkeys(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual						       softkeys(4)

NAME
softkeys - keysh softkey file format BACKGROUND
softkey information is stored in the form of a softkey node hierarchy. The top level of this hierarchy represents the softkey commands themselves; lower levels represent various command options and parameters. The softkey labels form a into this softkey node hierarchy through which the user can view and select nodes. A node is eligible if it was: o Enabled by default and has not been subsequently disabled by the selection of some sibling node, or o Disabled by default, has not been subsequently disabled by the selection of some sibling node, but has been subsequently enabled by the selection of some sibling node. When a softkey node is selected, it can enable or disable any of its siblings as appropriate. A new window into the softkey node hierarchy is then computed as follows: o If the selected node was not a leaf node, its eligible children are displayed; o Otherwise, if the node still has eligible siblings remaining, they are redisplayed; o Otherwise, if the node's parent still has eligible siblings remaining, they are redisplayed, and so on, moving up the node hier- archy. This process of node display and selection continues until the user has entered a complete command. At that point, performs the associated with each of the selected softkey nodes. These editrules create the HP-UX command that is fed to the shell for execution. SOFTKEY FILE FORMAT
Each softkey file contains one or more softkey definitions, each of which is represented as a sub-hierarchy of There are two basic types of softkey nodes: "Options" show up on softkey labels and insert literal text into the command-line when selected. Examples are command and option names. ``Strings'' (or ``parameters'') show up on softkey labels but do not insert text into the command-line when selected; rather, they display a hint message. The user must then type the desired text into the command-line. Examples are file and user names. Note that the keyword can be used as a synonym for the keyword The basic softkey node definition is composed of the following components: attribute . . . Where softkey is the softkey node name from which the command-line text and softkey label are derived. If necessary, a single plus sign within softkey can be used to force hyphenation of the softkey label at a syllable boundary. If a softkey node has an associated sub-menu, its trailing is replaced with a list of child nodes as follows: softkey node . . . Each softkey node can have the following optional attribute fields: Selecting this node will disable count softkey nodes to the right of this one - default is 0. Selecting this softkey will enable count softkey nodes to the right of this one - default is 0. This node is only active for filters or commands, respectively - default is either. This node is only active when is running on a Motorola (MC680x0) or precision (PA-RISC) processor, respectively - default is either. This node starts out disabled and must be enabled to be used - default is to start out enabled. The command will be entered automatically when this node is selected. The editrule for this node. An editrule to be executed after all other editrules associated with this softkey command - only one cleanuprule is allowed per soft- key command. The one line hint for this node - only valid for ``string'' softkey nodes. The help for this node (may be more than one line). The one-line error message to display if this node is not selected. Arguments are as follows: count A signed integer, the word or the word editrule An editrule (described below). helptext help enclosed in quotes (also described below). string An arbitrary string enclosed in quotes. Note that within quotes, escapes the next character as when using awk(1). A typical backup softkey node definition resembles: softkey literal] where literal is the literal text string to program the terminal function key with (if different than softkey). An unquoted hash-mark character in a softkey file delimits a comment to the end of the line. Softkey Command Translation To translate softkey commands into HP-UX commands, executes the editrules associated with each softkey selected by the user. These editrules create a via an editing language. This translated word list is then passed to the shell for execution. For a simple translation, this list might resemble: +--------+ +---------+ +---------+ | ls | | -l | | *.c | | +-----+ +-----+ | +--------+ +---------+ +---------+ word[0] word[1] word[2] Every time an editrule is invoked, the special constants and are defined to the index of the last word in the list (``2'' in this example) and the would-be-next word in the list (``3'' in this example), respectively. In addition, the constant is set equal to the user input for the softkey (e.g., for the softkey corresponding to the file name in this example). Note that automatically casts numbers and strings back and forth as necessary to carry out editrules. Also, variables are cleared only before the first editrule associated with a softkey command. All assigned variables are available to subsequent editrules. Editrules An editrule is a list of edit statements enclosed in curly-braces (i.e., and An edit statement is: o an expression followed by a o an statement, or o a word allocation statement. Expressions A simple expression can be any of: variable single letter from a to z number unsigned integer string enclosed in quotes char enclosed in quotes see above see above see above boolean flag boolean flag boolean flag boolean flag see above Simple expressions can be combined with any of: single-character substring multiple-character substring addition subtraction multiplication division modulus concatenation negation equality inequality greater than or equal less than or equal greater than less than logical and logical or logical not grouping The following functions are also supported and return the indicated results: number of characters in string index of first char in string, or -1 index of last char in string, or -1 string without leading/trailing blanks number in hex with leading number in octal with leading Assignments can be done with any of: simple assignment add and assign subtract and assign multiply and assign divide and assign modulus and assign concatenate and assign simple assignment add and assign subtract and assign multiply and assign divide and assign modulus and assign concatenate and assign if Statement The statement is similar to the full-block mode statement in awk, and is structured as follows: edit statement . . . edit statement . . . Where the part is optional. If number is non-zero, the first block of edit statements is executed. Otherwise, if the second block of edit statements is present, it is executed. Word Allocation Statements Word allocation statements include the following: Insert string as a new word in the word list immediately before Insert string as a new word in the word list immediately after the last word in the word list. Equivalent to Append string to the last word in the word list if that word already begins with a dash. Otherwise, a dash is inserted as a new word in the word list immediately after the last word in the word list and string is appended to that. Delete from the word list. Helptext Each softkey node can have an associated to be displayed upon a user request for help. This helptext is formatted on-the-fly and presented to the user through the preferred pager. The helptext format is an nroff-like language, supporting a subset of the man(5) macros used to write standard HP-UX manual entries. In particular, this subset includes: Begin mode. Display text as-is, preserving new-lines and spaces, until a Resume mode. Display text with words filled onto each output line, attempting to utilize 90% of the screen width. (This is the default mode.) Force a in the current output line. Display subsequent text on the next line. Force a break and then display a single blank line (a vertical Force a break, display a single blank line, and then begin a new with no indent. Force a break, display a single blank line, and then display the specified tag, then begin a new with the specified indent. Begin a new (similar to except no blank line is displayed). Note that these macros are recognized in the input helptext, not just at the beginning of a line. Also, all macro arguments even if they consist of nothing more than a quoted empty string. EXAMPLES
For a custom command (see cd(1)): softkey cd editrule { append("cd"); } { softkey keysh-src disable all editrule { append("~/keysh/src"); } ; softkey keysh-test disable all editrule { append("~/keysh/test"); } ; softkey keysh-doc disable all editrule { append("~/keysh/doc"); } ; softkey demo disable all editrule { append("~/demo"); } ; softkey tmp disable all editrule { append("/tmp"); } ; string <dir> disable all editrule { append(argument); } required "Enter the name of the directory to move to." ; } For other examples, refer to the file AUTHOR
was developed by HP and AT&T. FILES
user softkey definitions file standard softkey definitions file SEE ALSO
keysh(1), man(5). softkeys(4)