Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements UNIX and Linux RSS News 1995 SCO, HP, Novell press release: SCO bought the UnixWare business Post 302471456 by Linux Bot on Saturday 13th of November 2010 12:30:07 AM
Old 11-13-2010
1995 SCO, HP, Novell press release: SCO bought the UnixWare business

I found something that is one more piece of evidence that what SCO bought from Novell was the UnixWare business -- not UNIX, not the copyrights, not everything lock, stock and barrel, as SCO unsuccessfully argued in the recent SCO v. Novell trial. I'm pretty sure that it's the press release Novell's MOFO attorney Michael A. Jacobs showed to Alok Mohan, mentioned in this article about day 4 of the trial:
Then Jacobs hands him another press release about working with HP and Novell to create "a high volume UNIX OS with advanced network and enterprise services".
We didn't have that exhibit before on Groklaw that I know of, so I am putting it here now for historians, for the completeness of our records on the trial.
It's a 1995 joint press release by HP, Santa Cruz and Novell dated September 20, 1995, one day after the APA was signed by Santa Cruz and Novell. That makes it Santa Cruz telling the world *at the time* what it thought it had purchased, and what it says it bought is ... the UnixWare business. At the trial, Alok Mohan, a SCO witness, was asked if the press release accurately reflected the deal, and he said yes. What could he say? He's quoted in the release. He was then Santa Cruz's President and CEO.
That confirms to me the correctness of Judge Ted Stewart's ruling. SCO is appealing that ruling, asking the appeals court for another trial as alternative relief, but I can't imagine how they can in light of this evidence and Mohan's confirmation of its accuracy.

More...

MKFS.BFS(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					       MKFS.BFS(8)

NAME
mkfs.bfs - make an SCO bfs filesystem SYNOPSIS
mkfs.bfs [-N nr-of-inodes] [-V volume-name] [-F fsname] device [size-in-blocks] DESCRIPTION
mkfs.bfs creates an SCO bfs file-system on a block device (usually a disk partition or a file accessed via the loop device). The size-in-blocks parameter is the desired size of the file system, in blocks. If nothing is specified, the entire partition will be used. OPTIONS
-N Specify the desired number of inodes (at most 512). If nothing is specified some default number in the range 48-512 is picked depending on the size of the partition. -V volume-label Specify the volume label. I have no idea if/where this is used. -F fsname Specify the fsname. I have no idea if/where this is used. -v Be verbose. EXIT CODES
The exit code returned by mkfs.bfs is 0 when all went well, and 1 when something went wrong. SEE ALSO
mkfs(8). AVAILABILITY
The mkfs.bfs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. Util-linux 2.9x 12 Sept 1999 MKFS.BFS(8)