Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Problem with Sudo inside a here document Post 302471375 by mnanavati on Friday 12th of November 2010 03:23:45 PM
Old 11-12-2010
Problem with Sudo inside a here document

Have a sudo statement inside of a here document. It prompts me for a password, but doesnt wait for me to enter my password. Is there a way I can use the command without sudo or anyway that I can enter the password correctly?

Eg :
Code:
while read  remotehost
do
  ssh -t $2@$remotehost  <<REMOTE

ls /path/to/file/ | while read line
     do
              sudo  vserver \$line enter
              echo "\$line Hello world"
      done

REMOTE
done < "$remotehostlist"

This asks for password for the following line sudo vserver $line enter. But it doesnt wait for me to enter password. Also if I type something it appears in cleartext.

Please help!!

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Double post. Continue here

Last edited by Scott; 11-12-2010 at 04:31 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with sudo su and .sh script

here is my script: #!/bin/sh cd /Users/a echo "what is the name of the file u want?" read var1 var1=$var1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo command is not working inside a script when placed in cron

Hi All, i have a cron entry like 0,3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27,30,33,36,39,42,45,48,51,54,57 * * * * /amex/sssmonitor/dss_chk.ksh and the script is like #!/bin/ksh file=`uname -n` > /sunmast/projects/oasis/COREDEV/Dss$file.log > /tmp/output_sss today=`date` varb=`ps -ef | grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: usha rao
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sudo command problem

Hi All, I am tring to redirect mails comming to my user id to a script. In other word trigger a script when a mail comes to my user id. Actually , Admin team has done all this to me previously. in my script i am doing like /usr/local/bin/sudo -u parbrxs /export/home/parbrxs/bin/parbrxs.sh... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mindtee_abhi
4 Replies

4. Linux

Sudo Problem?

Hi I wanted to add a group using 1 id which is not root but has some sudo privileges. test@test>sudo -l gives this (root) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/passwd, /usr/sbin/useradd, /usr/sbin/usermod, /usr/sbin/userdel, /usr/bin/tee, /usr/bin/grep, /bin/grep, /usr/bin/chmod, /bin/chmod, /usr/bin/echo,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: datkan
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Problem with password expire and sudo.

Hi, I have a small problem that I need to address regarding the password expiration for a number of different oracle accounts. Currently I have the MAXWEEKS set to 12 in the /etc/default/passwd file for all accounts. I also have sudo installed on the server and users access the oracle accounts... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Here document inside a here document?

Can we use a here document inside a here document? Something like this ssh user@remotehost << REMOTE sudo vserver vsernamename enter << VSERVER perform actions on vserver. VSERVER REMOTE (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo inside a here document not working

Have a sudo statement inside of a here document. It prompts me for a password, but doesnt wait for me to enter my password. Is there a way I can use the command without sudo or anyway that I can enter the password correctly? Eg : while read remotehost do ssh -t $2@$remotehost <<REMOTE... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnanavati
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh uses here-document problem

I try to ssh uses bash script in here-document like this. ssh root@$SERVER <<EOF if ; then service httpd start fi exit EOF But got an error below. maybe the if command causes the problem. Thanks for help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muffle
2 Replies

9. HP-UX

Problem using sudo with NOPASSWD

I need to configure access for a user in an HP-UX to : 1) use certain commands and 2) login as another user as a sudo. These have to be done WITHOUT the user needing to enter a password. However, after I enter the lines using visudo, there is a prompt for a password when the user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aigini82
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with here-document not seeing delimiter

System is Oracle Linux 6 (derivative of RHEL) Given this script (copied from vi with line numbering for reference) 1 #!/bin/sh 2 ORAENV_ASK=NO 3 echo "*****************************************************" 4 echo "** Stop all databases and listener" 5 echo... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: edstevens
6 Replies
yppasswd(1)						      General Commands Manual						       yppasswd(1)

NAME
yppasswd - change password in Network Information Service (NIS) SYNOPSIS
yppasswd [name] DESCRIPTION
Note If Enhanced Security is enabled on your system, use the passwd command to change your password, even if NIS is in use. The yppasswd command lets you change your password in the Network Information Service (NIS) map, a network data base service. Only you or the superuser can change your NIS password. When you enter the yppasswd command, the program prompts you for the old password and then for the new password. Note that the passwords are not displayed on the screen. Next, the program asks you for the new password again, to verify that you have typed it correctly. If you do not type the passwords cor- rectly, you will receive an error message after you enter the new password. Your new NIS password must meet one of the following requirements: It must be a combination of at least six alphanumeric characters, or It must be a minimum of four characters, with at least one being non-alphanumeric, such as a control sequence. Note The passwd command does not change the NIS password. This command only changes the local password file (/etc/passwd), and not the NIS mas- ter password file. ERRORS
Your new password does not meet the minimum length requirement. You misspelled your new password or its verification. Your new password can not be activated. It must be different from your old password and your login name. FILES
Password file NIS directory SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passwd(4), ypfiles(4), yppasswdd(8) Network Administration yppasswd(1)