Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to install kernel source? Post 302471209 by pinga123 on Friday 12th of November 2010 11:04:27 AM
Old 11-12-2010
confused over which one to install Smilie
Quote:
# yum search kernel
=============================== Matched: kernel ================================
nfs-utils.i386 : NFS utilities and supporting clients and daemons for the kernel
: NFS server.
MAKEDEV.i386 : A program used for creating device files in /dev.
SysVinit.i386 : Programs which control basic system processes.
crash.i386 : crash utility for live systems; netdump, diskdump, kdump, LKCD or
: mcore dumpfiles
device-mapper-multipath.i386 : Tools to manage multipath devices using device-
: mapper.
ebtables.i386 : Ethernet Bridge frame table administration tool
ethtool.i386 : Ethernet settings tool for PCI ethernet cards
iproute.i386 : Advanced IP routing and network device configuration tools.
ipsec-tools.i386 : Tools for configuring and using IPSEC
iptables.i386 : Tools for managing Linux kernel packet filtering capabilities.
iptables-ipv6.i386 : IPv6 support for iptables.
kernel.i686 : The Linux kernel (the core of the Linux operating system)
kernel-ovs.i686 : The Linux Domain-0 kernel compiled with latest Xen support
libaio.i386 : Linux-native asynchronous I/O access library
libselinux.i386 : SELinux library and simple utilities
libsepol.i386 : SELinux binary policy manipulation library
libsysfs.i386 : Shared library for interfacing with sysfs
libvolume_id.i386 : Dynamic libraries to get volume ids
lm_sensors.i386 : Hardware monitoring tools.
mcstrans.i386 : SELinux Translation Daemon
mkinitrd.i386 : Creates an initial ramdisk image for preloading modules.
module-init-tools.i386 : Kernel module management utilities.
pam.i386 : A security tool which provides authentication for applications
pciutils.i386 : PCI bus related utilities.
rdac-mpp-tools.i686 : Tools to manage multipath proxy driver using linuxrdac
rp-pppoe.i386 : A PPP over Ethernet client (for xDSL support).
setarch.i386 : Personality setter
sysklogd.i386 : System logging and kernel message trapping daemons.
syslinux.i386 : Simple kernel loader which boots from a FAT filesystem
udev.i386 : A userspace implementation of devfs
xen.i386 : Xen is a virtual machine monitor
xen-64.noarch : Xen is a virtual machine monitor
xen-debugger.noarch : Xen is a virtual machine monitor
---------- Post updated at 11:04 AM ---------- Previous update was at 08:43 AM ----------

I have got kernel-2.6.18-128.2.1.4.9.el5.src.rpm from the source CD .
Now i m confused how to install it .
As even running rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.18-128.2.1.4.9.el5.src.rpm
I m getting same error.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does anybody know Kernel-2.4.33 source rpm URL??

Hi Everybody, I want to download the kernel-2.4.33 source rpm.Does anybody know from where should i download?? As in kernel.org there are .gz or .bz2 versions of kernel packages are available. Any help is welcome. Thanks, Sriram (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.ec
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

how install source file HP-UX

I want to install a source tar file using SAM . How do I do that? Also I want to update all installed software using SAM? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mwagz
3 Replies

3. BSD

Am searching for source code of openBSD kernel..

Hello Friends, Am lakshma reddy, doing my masters, i had some interest in exploring the source code of any open LINUX/UNIX, i searched for that i know i can get it but this time am finding it difficult in doing that. To be frank am new to this UNIX?LINUX platform. I need it since i want to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: luckyy
1 Replies

4. Debian

Kernel source not found. (can't install network card drivers)

I've had no luck with help on linuxquestions so I figured I'd try here. I'm using debian etch. The problem is that I can not install my network card because it says: Makefile:62: *** Linux kernel source not found. Stop. I have the kernel-headers installed. I've looked all over the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Virtuality
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to read freebsd kernel source?

I got the freebsd kernel source from the first install CD(in directory:\7.0-RELEASE\src\),isn't right? if so,how can i read it? Is there any tools? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhouq3132
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read freebsd kernel source?

I got the freebsd kernel source from the first install CD(in directory:\7.0-RELEASE\src\),isn't right? if so,how can i read it? Is there any tools? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhouq3132
4 Replies

7. BSD

BSD Kernel Source Code

Hi I need the BSD core (kernel) operating system Please let me download link I'm from Iran Please help me Thank you very much (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sepadl71
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel Source files Confusion

I have open suse kernel kernel 3.1.0-1.2-desktop on which I used kernel source 3.1.10-1.2 downloaded from kernel.org and so I guess I am facing issues while loading kernel modules. I went to site kernel-source-3.1.0-1.2.1.noarch.rpm openSUSE 12.1 Free Download where it shows 2 rpm files... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
0 Replies

9. Linux

Create a bootable PXE image from build kernel source code

Hi, Can i just ask how I can create a bootable PXE image from the built kernel source. What files do I need to get? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trying to install libtool from source - newbie

Hey all, I am trying to configure software (Open Cascade) and I am receiving the following error: configure.ac:24: warning: macro `AM_PROG_LIBTOOL' not found in library I know I must be missing libtool, however, when I try and grab libtool (a lot of sites have the proper tarball and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bphqk3
2 Replies
XEN(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    XEN(4)

NAME
xen -- Xen Hypervisor Guest (DomU) Support SYNOPSIS
To compile para-virtualized (PV) Xen guest support into an i386 kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: options PAE options XEN nooptions NATIVE To compile hardware-assisted virtualization (HVM) Xen guest support with para-virtualized drivers into an amd64 kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: options XENHVM device xenpci DESCRIPTION
The Xen Hypervisor allows multiple virtual machines to be run on a single computer system. When first released, Xen required that i386 ker- nels be compiled "para-virtualized" as the x86 instruction set was not fully virtualizable. Primarily, para-virtualization modifies the vir- tual memory system to use hypervisor calls (hypercalls) rather than direct hardware instructions to modify the TLB, although para-virtualized device drivers were also required to access resources such as virtual network interfaces and disk devices. With later instruction set extensions from AMD and Intel to support fully virtualizable instructions, unmodified virtual memory systems can also be supported; this is referred to as hardware-assisted virtualization (HVM). HVM configurations may either rely on transparently emu- lated hardware peripherals, or para-virtualized drivers, which are aware of virtualization, and hence able to optimize certain behaviors to improve performance or semantics. FreeBSD supports a fully para-virtualized (PV) kernel on the i386 architecture using options XEN and nooptions NATIVE; currently, this requires use of a PAE kernel, enabled via options PAE. FreeBSD supports hardware-assisted virtualization (HVM) on both the i386 and amd64 kernels; however, PV device drivers with an HVM kernel are only supported on the amd64 architecture, and require options XENHVM and device xenpci. Para-virtualized device drivers are required in order to support certain functionality, such as processing management requests, returning idle physical memory pages to the hypervisor, etc. Xen DomU device drivers Xen para-virtualized drivers are automatically added to the kernel if a PV kernel is compiled using options XEN; for HVM environments, options XENHVM and device xenpci are required. The follow drivers are supported: balloon Allow physical memory pages to be returned to the hypervisor as a result of manual tuning or automatic policy. blkback Exports local block devices or files to other Xen domains where they can then be imported via blkfront. blkfront Import block devices from other Xen domains as local block devices, to be used for file systems, swap, etc. console Export the low-level system console via the Xen console service. control Process management operations from Domain 0, including power off, reboot, suspend, crash, and halt requests. evtchn Expose Xen events via the /dev/xen/evtchn special device. netback Export local network interfaces to other Xen domains where they can be imported via netfront. netfront Import network interfaces from other Xen domains as local network interfaces, which may be used for IPv4, IPv6, etc. pcifront Allow physical PCI devices to be passed through into a PV domain. xenpci Represents the Xen PCI device, an emulated PCI device that is exposed to HVM domains. This device allows detection of the Xen hypervisor, and provides interrupt and shared memory services required to interact with the hypervisor. Performance considerations In general, PV drivers will perform better than emulated hardware, and are the recommended configuration for HVM installations. Using a hypervisor introduces a second layer of scheduling that may limit the effectiveness of certain FreeBSD scheduling optimisations. Among these is adaptive locking, which is no longer able to determine whether a thread holding a lock is in execution. It is recommended that adaptive locking be disabled when using Xen: options NO_ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES options NO_ADAPTIVE_RWLOCKS options NO_ADAPTIVE_SX SEE ALSO
pae(4) HISTORY
Support for xen first appeared in FreeBSD 8.1. AUTHORS
FreeBSD support for Xen was first added by Kip Macy <kmacy@FreeBSD.org> and Doug Rabson <dfr@FreeBSD.org>. Further refinements were made by Justin Gibbs <gibbs@FreeBSD.org>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.org>, and Colin Percival <cperciva@FreeBSD.org>. This manual page was written by Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
FreeBSD is only able to run as a Xen guest (DomU) and not as a Xen host (Dom0). A fully para-virtualized (PV) kernel is only supported on i386, and not amd64. Para-virtualized drivers under hardware-assisted virtualization (HVM) kernel are only supported on amd64, not i386. As of this release, Xen PV DomU support is not heavily tested; instability has been reported during VM migration of PV kernels. Certain PV driver features, such as the balloon driver, are under-exercised. BSD
December 17, 2010 BSD