Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Splitting text file into 2 separate files ?? Post 302471140 by danmero on Friday 12th of November 2010 05:08:36 AM
Old 11-12-2010
Use gawk, nawk, mawk OR /usr/xpg4/bin/awk on Solaris.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

splitting files based on text in the file

I need to split a file based on certain context inside the file. Is there a unix command that can do this? I have looked into split and csplit but it does not seem like those would work because I need to split this file based on certain text. The file has multiple records and I need to split this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrix1067
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting text file to several other files using sed.

I'm trying to figure out how to do this efficiently with as little execution time as possible and I'm pretty sure using sed is the best way. However I'm new to sed and all the reading and examples I've found don't seem to show a similar exercise: I have a long text file (i'll call it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JeffV
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Separate text files in a folder by word count

Hi, been searching Google for like an hour and I doubt I got the right keywords so might as well ask here. What I need: Before: Article1.txt 564 Article2.txt 799 Article3.txt 349 Article4.txt 452 * Separate files over 400 wordcount * After: Article1.txt 564... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Richard2000
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract text and store in separate files

Hi, I have a file which looks like this: .I 1 some text .A this is the first line .I 2 some text again .B this is the second line .I 3 again some text .C this is the third line I want to have my output like this in separate files: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine the lines from separate text files

Hi All, I have three separate text files which has only one line and i want to combine these lines in one text file which will have three lines. cat file1.txt abc cat file2.txt 1265 6589 1367 cat file3.txt 0.98 0.36 0.5 So, I want to see these three lines in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: senayasma
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Splitting up a text file into multiple files by columns

Hi, I have a space delimited text file with multiple columns 102 columns. I want to break it up into 100 files labelled 1.txt through 100.txt (n.txt). Each text file will contain the first two columns and in addition the nth column (that corresponds to n.txt). The third file will contain the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a column in two separate fields

for making a summary I have a CSV file which is transformed to .DAT. I have an AWK file which is supposing to do the mapping of the DAT file. The code from the AWK file is the one below. The content of the DAT file looks like this (tab separated): ODT AGE CDT CO SEX TIME VALUE COMMENT ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: grikoss
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate columns into different text files

Hi I have large text file consisting of five columns. Sample of the file is give below: ed 2-4 12.0 commons that they depended on. मानवों नष्ट किया जिन पर वो आधारित थे। ed 3-1 12.0 Almost E, but would be over. रचना करीब करीब ई तक जाती है, मगर तब तो नाटक ख़त्म हो... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Frustrating in splitting text files

Duplicate threads merged Dear all, I have been working with a very large text file manually. I'm ordering how to do this with a script. The gamma should be straightforward: I just want split the text into multiple files. The file name should be "CP1", "TS1 for the second step", "PR1 for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a text file into smaller files with awk, how to create a different name for each new file

Hello, I have some large text files that look like, putrescine Mrv1583 01041713302D 6 5 0 0 0 0 999 V2000 2.0928 -0.2063 0.0000 N 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5.6650 0.2063 0.0000 N 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3.5217 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies
English(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					      English(3pm)

NAME
English - use nice English (or awk) names for ugly punctuation variables SYNOPSIS
use English; use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; # Avoids regex performance penalty # in perl 5.16 and earlier ... if ($ERRNO =~ /denied/) { ... } DESCRIPTION
This module provides aliases for the built-in variables whose names no one seems to like to read. Variables with side-effects which get triggered just by accessing them (like $0) will still be affected. For those variables that have an awk version, both long and short English alternatives are provided. For example, the $/ variable can be referred to either $RS or $INPUT_RECORD_SEPARATOR if you are using the English module. See perlvar for a complete list of these. PERFORMANCE
NOTE: This was fixed in perl 5.20. Mentioning these three variables no longer makes a speed difference. This section still applies if your code is to run on perl 5.18 or earlier. This module can provoke sizeable inefficiencies for regular expressions, due to unfortunate implementation details. If performance matters in your application and you don't need $PREMATCH, $MATCH, or $POSTMATCH, try doing use English qw( -no_match_vars ) ; . It is especially important to do this in modules to avoid penalizing all applications which use them. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-06 English(3pm)