Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Unrecognized disk label of a external HD Post 302471136 by cokedude on Friday 12th of November 2010 04:57:37 AM
Old 11-12-2010
I also get this message when I try to mount the HD. I tried with and without the force option.

Code:
~ $ sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb /media/hd-ntfs -o force
NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sdb' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?

~ $ sudo mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sdb /media/hd-ntfs
NTFS signature is missing.
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb': Invalid argument
The device '/dev/sdb' doesn't seem to have a valid NTFS.
Maybe the wrong device is used? Or the whole disk instead of a
partition (e.g. /dev/sda, not /dev/sda1)? Or the other way around?

---------- Post updated at 04:57 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:55 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
Might be that the disk label has not been initialized yet. Is this a new disk, or has it been used before? If it's already been used: under which OS and version?
It has a NTFS partition. I use it in both windows xp and Linux Mint which is very similar to Ubuntu.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described

:confused: Hello, In my Solaris system, I want to resize my mounted home directory slice. 1.I unmount the slice, #umount /export/home 2.Resize the directory #format>partition> 3.#format>label 4.#format>Cannot label disk when partitions are in use as described. So, How can label ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: XNOR
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Warning: No Disk Label

Hi Fellows, I am trying to mirror 2 identical disks on a SUN Ultra 10 machines (with new installation of Solaris 8). In the process, I found 2 issues: 1. prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 | fmthard -s - /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0 Result: Disk partitions between the 2 disks do not match up. 2. manually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: o51974
2 Replies

3. Solaris

ZFS disk label missing

I 'm having problem in importing a zfs pool was getting error device missing and upon further digging found that labels on my disk for zpool are missing Does anyone know how to recover from it ? root@essapl020-u006 # zdb -l /dev/dsk/emcpower0c --------------------------------------------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fugitive
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Help:"Bad checksum in disk label" and "Can't open disk label package"?

Hello, I'm brand new to Sun/Solaris. I have a Sun Blade 150, with SunOS 5.8. I wanted to make a backup to prevent future data loss, so I put the disk in a normal PC with Windows XP to try to make a backup with Norton Ghost, the disk was detected, but not the file volume, so I place the disk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Resadija
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a disk label?

Hi there, I'm wondering how to display a disk label (why not edit it but I don't need that yet). I found several commands on forums like disklabel and diskinfo but I can't find them on my system and don't know the package they belong to. Can you help me? Cheers Santiago (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

6. Solaris

label a slice on disk erorr

Hi there, I am trying to do root volume mirroring on SunFire V210 server. I have two disks in it.First one is c1t0do and second one is c1t1do. Both disks already have partitions in them so I am deleting the partitions of second disk(c1t1do) using format command and selecting cylinder start 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbi8321
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Script to label a disk

Hi Guys, Do you have any script to label a disk automatically. It is part of my script but I am not able to find solution to label this inside script without user intervention. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashant2507198
2 Replies

8. Hardware

Unrecognized disk label on my external HD

Hi everyone, I have an external hard drive and I accidentally deleted the partition table. Can I restore my files? If I try to run the f-disk command this is what it says Disk /dev/sda: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders, total 625142448 sectors Units =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sampa
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Expert Recovery Shell - Fatal Error: Unrecognized disk layout

I have a B.11.31 U ia64 system where I swremove the disk driver "SerialSCSI-00 B.11.31.1303 PCI-X/PCI-E SerialSCSI" (by mistake). afterwards the system won;t boot because of the missing disk drivers. I'm trying to recover my kernel by using the image HP-ux_11_31_disc_1.iso Run an Expert... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: black_fender
1 Replies

10. SCO

Unsuccessful install due to unrecognized disk issue

Dear Community! i try to instaled the sco 6 in hp proliant ML350g8 but unsucces, the trouble when i do instaled it undetected hardisk please help me :(:o (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnr
7 Replies
NTFS-3G.PROBE(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  NTFS-3G.PROBE(8)

NAME
ntfs-3g.probe - Probe an NTFS volume mountability SYNOPSIS
ntfs-3g.probe <--readonly|--readwrite> volume DESCRIPTION
The ntfs-3g.probe utility tests a volume if it's NTFS mountable read-only or read-write, and exits with a status value accordingly. The volume can be a block device or image file. OPTIONS
Below is a summary of the options that ntfs-3g.probe accepts. -r, --readonly Test if the volume can be mounted read-only. -w, --readwrite Test if the volume can be mounted read-write. -h, --help Display help and exit. EXAMPLE
Test if /dev/sda1 can be mounted read-write: ntfs-3g.probe --readwrite /dev/sda1 EXIT CODES
The exit codes are as follows: 0 Volume is mountable. 11 Syntax error, command line parsing failed. 12 The volume doesn't have a valid NTFS. 13 Inconsistent NTFS, hardware or device driver fault, or unsetup SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. 14 The NTFS partition is hibernated. 15 The volume was not cleanly unmounted. 16 The volume is already exclusively opened and in use by a kernel driver or software. 17 Unsetup SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. 18 Unknown reason. 19 Not enough privilege to mount. 20 Out of memory. 21 Unclassified FUSE error. KNOWN ISSUES
Please see http://tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-faq/ for common questions and known issues. If you think you have found an undocumented problem in the latest release of the software then please send an email describing it in detail. You can contact the development team on the ntfs-3g-devel@lists.sf.net address. AUTHORS
ntfs-3g.probe was written by Szabolcs Szakacsits. THANKS
Alon Bar-Lev has integrated the utility into the NTFS-3G build process and tested it with Erik Larsson before the public release. SEE ALSO
ntfs-3g(8) ntfs-3g.probe 2011.4.12AR.4 January 2008 NTFS-3G.PROBE(8)