Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: formatting output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting formatting output Post 302471011 by rdcwayx on Thursday 11th of November 2010 07:02:59 PM
Old 11-11-2010
Code:
awk '{printf "%-15s %s\n",$1,$2}' file1

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the output

Hi all, Have the following code(1) producing the results(2 & 3). Would like to know if there is a way to format the two reports created in a similar fashion. IE - The first is formatted nicely as a result of the echo "$xmpbdate $xavgs" >> $xmpbrpt However when I attempt to do the same on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting output

Hi need some advice.. #grep -i hostname test.csv (gives the below output) HOSTNAME,name,host_test,,,,,,,, Now I need to format the above output as below. HOSTNAME: name=host_test Any easy way of doing this using awk or sed or printf? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting Output

Hi I tried running the below awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%s %-51s %s %-7s %s",$var1,$var2,$var3,$var4,$var5)}' from the command prompt and it is not working. Getting the error awk: Field $() is not correct. The source line number is 1. Actually my requirement is to form a string based on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

more help with formatting ls output...

Ok, for a fun project, my goal is to replicate the style of "catalog" on an old apple ] *A 002 SOMEAPPLESOFTFILE B 004 SOMEFILE T 006 SOMETEXT I 002 SOMEINTEGERFILE The first character is either " " or "*" depending on if the file is locked or not. Next is the filetype, so in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting ls output

I am using find and ls to search for "warez" files on my server. find /home/ -regex ".*\.\(avi\|mp3\|mpeg\|mpg\|iso\)" -print0 | xargs -0 ls -oh This command produces this: -rw-r--r-- 1 1000 3.2M Feb 18 2009 /home/user/public_html/lupus.mp3 I want to only get this 3.2M... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonrad
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting of output

Hi Experts, I have to create a report for certain audit and my output looks as follows I m trying to format my output to look like Any inputs would be highly appreciated Thanks Syed (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output Formatting

Hi Guys I need help removing some lines from output i am receiving from a shell script. Here is the output: http://i52.tinypic.com/10z0fut.png I am trying to remove the output that i have circled. . ${EDW}/extracts/bin/extracts_setup2.sh . ${EDW}/extracts/extracts.conf ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mooey1232003
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the output

Hi, I have a file which contents entries in this form. Only in /data4/temp abc.000001 Only in /data4/temp abc.000003 Only in /data4/temp abc.000012 Only in /data4/temp abc.000120 Only in /data4/temp abc.000133 Only in /data4/temp abc.001444 i want to read line by line and format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
2 Replies

9. AIX

Help Formatting Output

I am using FORTRAN 90 on AIX 5.3 and need to output my data to a tab-delimited file. It must have actual tabs, and I cannot figure out a way to make it work. The resulting file will be imported into another application (quickbooks) as an .iif file....for some reason, it needs the tabs; spaces do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KathyB148
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the Output

Hi, I am trying to use printf command and format certain output in a specific format as under: While the left side (upto |) of the above format is part of a fixed header function, the right side is where i am expecting data to be printed. However, as seen, Row1 value is reflecting on last... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
5 Replies
SOCKADDR_SNPRINTF(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 				      SOCKADDR_SNPRINTF(3)

NAME
sockaddr_snprintf -- formatting function for socket address structures LIBRARY
System Utilities Library (libutil, -lutil) SYNOPSIS
#include <util.h> int sockaddr_snprintf(char *buf, size_t buflen, const char *fmt, const struct sockaddr *sa); DESCRIPTION
The sockaddr_snprintf() function formats a socket address into a form suitable for printing. This function is convenient because it is protocol independent, i.e. one does not need to know the address family of the sockaddr in order to print it. The printf(3) like format string specifies how the address is going to be printed. Some formatting characters are only supported by some address families. If a certain formatting character is not supported, then the string ``N/A'' is printed. The resulting formatted string is placed into buf. Up to buflen characters are placed in buf. The following formatting characters are supported (immediately after a percent ('%') sign): a The node address portion of the socket address is printed numerically. For AF_INET the address is printed as: ``A.B.C.D'' and for AF_INET6 the address is printed as: ``A:B...[%if]'' using getnameinfo(3) internally with NI_NUMERICHOST. For AF_APPLETALK the address is printed as: ``A.B'' For AF_LOCAL (AF_UNIX) the address is printed as: ``socket-path'' For AF_LINK the address is printed as: ``a.b.c.d.e.f'' using link_ntoa(3), but the interface portion is skipped (see below). For AF_UNSPEC nothing is printed. A The symbolic name of the address is printed. For AF_INET and AF_INET6 this is the hostname associated with the address. For all other address families, it is the same as the ``a'' format. f The numeric value of the family of the address is printed. l The length of the socket address is printed. p For AF_INET, AF_INET6, and AF_APPLETALK the numeric value of the port portion of the address is printed. P For AF_INET and AF_INET6 this is the name of the service associated with the port number, if available. For all other address families, it is the same as the ``p'' format. I For AF_LINK addresses, the interface name portion is printed. F For AF_INET6 addresses, the flowinfo portion of the address is printed numerically. R For AF_APPLETALK addresses, the netrange portion of the address is printed as: ``phase:[firstnet,lastnet]'' S For AF_INET6 addresses, the scope portion of the address is printed numerically. ? If present between ``%'' and the format character, and the selected format does not apply to the given address family, the ``N/A'' string is elided and no output results. RETURN VALUES
The sockaddr_snprintf() function returns the number of characters that are required to format the value val given the format string fmt excluding the terminating NUL. The returned string in buf is always NUL-terminated. If the address family is not supported, sockaddr_snprintf() returns -1 and sets errno to EAFNOSUPPORT. For AF_INET and AF_INET6 addresses sockaddr_snprintf() returns -1 if the getnameinfo(3) conversion failed, and errno is set to the error value from getnameinfo(3). ERRORS
If the buffer buf is too small to hold the formatted output, sockaddr_snprintf() will still return the buffer, containing a truncated string. SEE ALSO
getaddrinfo(3), getnameinfo(3), link_ntoa(3), snprintf(3) HISTORY
The sockaddr_snprintf() first appeared in NetBSD 3.0. BUGS
The sockaddr_snprintf() interface is experimental and might change in the future. There is no way to specify different formatting styles for particular addresses. For example it would be useful to print AF_LINK addresses as ``%.2x:%.2x...'' instead of ``%x.%x...'' This function is supposed to be quick, but getnameinfo(3) might use system calls to convert the scope number to an interface name and the ``A'' and ``P'' format characters call getaddrinfo(3) which may block for a noticeable period of time. Not all formatting characters are supported by all address families and printing ``N/A'' is not very convenient. The ``?'' character can suppress this, but other formatting (e.g., spacing or punctuation) will remain. BSD
April 9, 2005 BSD