Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Help Required for copying a folder from one server to another Post 302470887 by vbe on Thursday 11th of November 2010 10:11:40 AM
Old 11-11-2010
look at rdist or rsync commands (may not be installed so you would have to look around and download....)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Lock the required folder

Hi friends, 5-6 users are using the same login in one of our Unix server. My question is, Is it possible to lock some folder using seperate password other than login password by each user, so that that folder is not accessible to other users. Please guide/suggest me. Cheers~~ Ganapati.... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for Finding files in a folder and copying to another folder

Hi all, I have a folder '/samplefolder' in which i have some files like data0.txt, data1.txt and data2.txt. I have to search the folder for existence of the file data0.txt first and if found have to copy it to some other file; next i have to search the folder for existence of file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish2712
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying latest file into a folder

Hello all, this is my first post while i am trying to understand unix. I would basically like to know if i can do this: Lets say i have a folderA and folderB And i save something in folderA Can i make a script that checks folderA latest file, then compares it with the date of latest file in... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: takissd
16 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mkdir: copying a folder's permissions

Hi, I wanted to know how to create a folder using mkdir and then have it copy the permissions from another specified folder on the system. For example if I did this: mkdir /Volumes/USBSTICK/System How can I make it copy the permissions from the /System folder ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
4 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Copying Folder, C program

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Copying all the normal files from 1 folder to another on a unix platform. I pass in 1 or 2 arguments, the folder... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MW99
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash folder manipulation - selecting/copying specified files

Bash/scripting newbie here - I feel this might be a trivial problem, but I'm not sure how to tackle it. I've got a folder of a year's worth of files, with some random number of files generated every day of the year (but at least one per day). I'm writing a script to automatically grab the file with... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: WildGooseChased
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

copying random Jpg files to different folder

Hi, I have 200 pictures in a folder and I would like move 10 random pictures every week to given folder automatically. I have this server on 1and1.com. So I tried the following using Bash script for manual copy and paste for testing #!/bin/bash mapfile -t -n 3 files < <(find... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: raamkum
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a file based on a incremented folder name

I need to routinely cp a file out of the highest incremented folder named PROD_2_6.1_xxx where xxx (3 numerical values) is incremented only once a night starting at 100 and ending 999 over a period of time. I am not worried about copying a subset of a complete file while it is being created by some... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sf_cb
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Copy mismatch while copying RHEL DVD to folder

Hi, Here is this weird thing happening here. I mounted RHEL 6.6 DVD on a directoy /a, I am trying to copy it's content to another folder by using command: cp -pr /a/* /new/folder But while I run ls -lrt on both locations it show me difference in number of files. Any specific reason for that.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
5 Replies
rdiff(1)						      General Commands Manual							  rdiff(1)

NAME
rdiff - compute and apply signature-based file differences SYNOPSYS
rdiff [options] signature old-file signature-file rdiff [options] delta signature-file new-file delta-file rdiff [options] patch basis-file delta-file new-file USAGE
You can use rdiff to update files, much like rsync does. However, unlike rsync, rdiff puts you in control. There are three steps to updating a file: signature, delta, and patch. DESCRIPTION
In every case where a filename must be specified, - may be used instead to mean either standard input or standard output as appropriate. Be aware that if you do this, you'll need to terminate your options with -- or rdiff will think you are passing it an empty option. RETURN VALUE
0 for successful completion, 1 for environmental problems (file not found, invalid options, IO error, etc), 2 for a corrupt file and 3 for an internal error or unhandled situation in librsync or rdiff. SEE ALSO
librsync(3) AUTHOR
Martin Pool <mbp@samba.org> The original rsync algorithm was discovered by Andrew Tridgell. rdiff development has been supported by Linuxcare, Inc and VA Linux Systems. $Date: 2002/01/25 21:25:34 $ rdiff(1)