Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shell (tcsh) prompt gets reset on every cd Post 302470879 by yuvalbn on Thursday 11th of November 2010 10:00:38 AM
Old 11-11-2010
in /usr/local/bin, the prompt is now:
(bin)

I would like it to be:
/usr/local/bin>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reset the unix prompt?

Hi All, How to change the UNIX prompt to the default one, after i changed it using PS1? Thanx and Regards, Saneesh Joseph. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About tcsh shell

Hello, Why tcsh shell is not recommended ? then which one is better ? Also can you please let me know how to change own shell and config file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reset prompt back to "-bash-3.00$"

Can anyone tell me how to reset the command prompt back to the original 'bas'h prompt as these have all been changed via the /etc/profile to add username and hostname but some are too long. I just want to run it in a local .profile to put it back. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skewbie
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh/csh: set prompt in production to color red

Hi folks This is our prompt at the moment oracle@pinkipinki:/opt/oracle> grep 'set prompt' .cshrc set prompt = "$user@`uname -n`:$cwd> " We wish to have in production the same prompt, but red. Howto do that? I tried a lot a internet manuals, but it doesn't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to find tcsh shell version info in HP-UX?

Hi, I need to find tcsh shell version info on several boxes. I made a script and running on boxes through SSH. This is what i am doing : echo /bin/tcsh -c 'echo $version' | ssh "box name" but i dont see anything. if i run /bin/tcsh -c 'echo $version' on ocal machine i see the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailash19
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp not working because of prompt (AIX, tcsh)

Hello, I have this problem: I have a server to which I ssh, and it has a special prompt request. The prompt is done by a ?prompt command. It is fine with SSH, since the prompt I guess gets some input, but when I use SCP, the copy always fails. So, I was wondering if there is maybe a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastZenMaster
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

issue with my prompt on tcsh

Hi, issue with my prompt, other gets their name, my comes with command number. Why? {118} /home/markb > echo $SHELL /bin/tcsh {119} /home/markb > echo $SHELL /bin/tcsh {120} /home/markb > my .cshrc has this.... set prompt="%{\0330;%n@%M : %~%L \007%} `pwd` >%{\033 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to prompt the user to enter an array in tcsh

Hello, I am writing a script that requires the user to enter a string of numbers: ex: 134 345 865 903 This command only allows for one variable to be entered: set "var" = $< and than once I got the array I want to change it to a list with each input on a different line: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smarones
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specifying a tcsh shell using winbind

The campus system that I use has switched to using winbind. In the old days, I was able to specify tcsh as my shell with the usual entry in /etc/passwd. But I'm told winbind doesn't have user specific entries, and now my ssh login defaults to a bash shell. Can anybody advise how I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeoKSimon
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcsh Shell trouble

Need assistance in getting a solution for a TCSH shell environment variable . I read on internet that leading zeros as octal numbers and redhat doesnt supports octals but Solaris works on TCSH shell. Is there any way we can fix this . All my script has 08 or 09 $ @ x = 5 + 08 @: Badly formed... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
8 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)