Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shell (tcsh) prompt gets reset on every cd Post 302470804 by yuvalbn on Thursday 11th of November 2010 06:33:40 AM
Old 11-11-2010
no, this isn't DOS, it's tcsh.
let me clarify.

I have the 'set prompt' command in my ~/.cshrc which runs at login.
for some reason this isn't working, as I detailed in my previous post.
to check what happens to the prompt, i just typed the 'set prompt' command in my shell and saw my prompt changes accordingly, but when i change dir the prompt is reset to showing only one level of directories (and not 3 as i wanted). this is probably what causing the default settings from ~/.cshrc not to work.
what can dynamically change $prompt like that?

p.s.
i don't have $PS1 set in my shell by default

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to reset the unix prompt?

Hi All, How to change the UNIX prompt to the default one, after i changed it using PS1? Thanx and Regards, Saneesh Joseph. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saneeshjose
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About tcsh shell

Hello, Why tcsh shell is not recommended ? then which one is better ? Also can you please let me know how to change own shell and config file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: darshakraut
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reset prompt back to "-bash-3.00$"

Can anyone tell me how to reset the command prompt back to the original 'bas'h prompt as these have all been changed via the /etc/profile to add username and hostname but some are too long. I just want to run it in a local .profile to put it back. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skewbie
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh/csh: set prompt in production to color red

Hi folks This is our prompt at the moment oracle@pinkipinki:/opt/oracle> grep 'set prompt' .cshrc set prompt = "$user@`uname -n`:$cwd> " We wish to have in production the same prompt, but red. Howto do that? I tried a lot a internet manuals, but it doesn't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

How to find tcsh shell version info in HP-UX?

Hi, I need to find tcsh shell version info on several boxes. I made a script and running on boxes through SSH. This is what i am doing : echo /bin/tcsh -c 'echo $version' | ssh "box name" but i dont see anything. if i run /bin/tcsh -c 'echo $version' on ocal machine i see the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kailash19
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scp not working because of prompt (AIX, tcsh)

Hello, I have this problem: I have a server to which I ssh, and it has a special prompt request. The prompt is done by a ?prompt command. It is fine with SSH, since the prompt I guess gets some input, but when I use SCP, the copy always fails. So, I was wondering if there is maybe a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lastZenMaster
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

issue with my prompt on tcsh

Hi, issue with my prompt, other gets their name, my comes with command number. Why? {118} /home/markb > echo $SHELL /bin/tcsh {119} /home/markb > echo $SHELL /bin/tcsh {120} /home/markb > my .cshrc has this.... set prompt="%{\0330;%n@%M : %~%L \007%} `pwd` >%{\033 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to prompt the user to enter an array in tcsh

Hello, I am writing a script that requires the user to enter a string of numbers: ex: 134 345 865 903 This command only allows for one variable to be entered: set "var" = $< and than once I got the array I want to change it to a list with each input on a different line: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smarones
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specifying a tcsh shell using winbind

The campus system that I use has switched to using winbind. In the old days, I was able to specify tcsh as my shell with the usual entry in /etc/passwd. But I'm told winbind doesn't have user specific entries, and now my ssh login defaults to a bash shell. Can anybody advise how I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeoKSimon
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcsh Shell trouble

Need assistance in getting a solution for a TCSH shell environment variable . I read on internet that leading zeros as octal numbers and redhat doesnt supports octals but Solaris works on TCSH shell. Is there any way we can fix this . All my script has 08 or 09 $ @ x = 5 + 08 @: Badly formed... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
8 Replies
COLORGCC(1)						      General Commands Manual						       COLORGCC(1)

NAME
colorgcc - colorization wrapper for gcc SYNOPSIS
colorgcc [OPTION]... [FILENAME]... DESCRIPTION
colorgcc acts as a wrapper around gcc(1) to ease reading its output by colorizing it. OPTIONS
Since colorgcc is a wrapper around gcc(1), it has the same command line options as gcc(1). USAGE
At your shell prompt, set your CC environment variable to 'colorgcc'. This may be done in several different ways, depending on what shell you use. In a Bourne-compatible shell (bash, ash, zsh, pdksh), type: export CC="colorgcc" In a C shell variant (csh, tcsh), type: setenv CC "colorgcc" Refer to your shell's documentation for more information on setting environment variables. FILES
/etc/colorgcc/colorgccrc System-wide configuration file for colorgccrc. $HOME/.colorgccrc Personal configuration file for colorgccrc. SEE ALSO
gcc(1), colorgccrc(5) HISTORY
Jan 15 2003: Initial version of this manual-page. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <jmoyers@geeks.com> AUTHORS
Jamie Moyers <jmoyers@geeks.com> is the author of colorgcc. This manual page was written by Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>, and modified by David Weinehall <tao@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003 Jamie Moyers This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. Jan 15, 2003 COLORGCC(1)