Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX ORACLE Database running slow on AIX ( nmon / topas ) Post 302470463 by zxmaus on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 08:27:32 AM
Old 11-10-2010
Hi,

your box is slow because you still do not have enough memory - it scans to frees itself to a virtual halt. You have occasionally a scan to free rate of 30:1 - anything above 4 would be considered a problem. Your minperm is too high, set it to 3% and set min/maxfree to 960/1088. If this would be my box, I would add at least 20 GB just as a starter and take it from there.
Furthermore your disk response times are a disaster and hdisk2 is completely saturated, hdisk1 doesnt look much better. Assuming that hdisk2 is your pagingdisk, this will get better with more memory too - still you should spread your load across more disks.
As you have already a whole lot of memory in your box, my next question would be 'how big is your SGA', did the DBAs pin it into memory - and does it have to be THAT big. I can see that you have some decent IO in both reads and writes so you are moving data - but still not enough to explain almost 100 GB memory usage. And a too big SGA both slows down the server + oracle itself because it ironically takes longer for oracle to use that memory.

I would still like to see the output of mount without any options.

Regards
zxmaus

Last edited by zxmaus; 12-12-2010 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: logical error - wrong tunable mentioned - now corrected

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Memory usage statistic? (topas, nmon)

hi, how can i diplay: - the ammount RAM used /free - ammount of ram used from a pid or prozess we have the problem, that malloc is returing a NULL pointer errno = 12 ( not enough space). but i think there is still ram free. nmon : shows all memory used ? Memory Use Physical Virtual... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazzar
7 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

skgpspawn failed running oracle db 9.2.0.5.0 on aix 5.3

Hi, I am running an oracle db 9.2.0.5.0 on ibm p5 550 aix 5.3 with 10g ram, 10G swap space 3 database instances each SGA about 500Meg. I am getting the following error in my alert log file from time to time: skgpspawn failed:category = 27142, depinfo = 11, op = fork, loc = skgpspawn3 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hawkerpacific
0 Replies

3. AIX

nmon vs topas

good morning what is the better solution to examen a P570 ? because i use topas and nmon, and the results are totally different !!! with nmon, i have 80% free cpu, and with nmon, i have 90% of used cpu !!!!!! i take a shot with an intervall of 10s during 10 mn. thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

4. AIX

Top command in AIX 4.2 (no topas, no nmon, no top)?

Is there a 'top' command equivalent in AIX 4.2 ? I already checked and I do not see the following ones anywhere: top nmon topas (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. Solaris

what is the command to see which database ie..oracle in running on solaris 10

what is the command to see which database ie..oracle in running on solaris 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script automatically when threshold limit met in one of the field in oracle database

Hi Guys, Need you help in one point! I am working on one shell script which takes following steps : 1. Taking one query result from oracle database 2. Exporting that result to Xls file 3. Mailing that file to my own mail ID Now, I want to give a threshold limit to one of the column... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Agupte
0 Replies

7. AIX

Need to check long running processes on the database server and the os is AIX

Hello, Please help me with a script with which I can check long running processes on the database server and the os is AIX. Best regards, Vishal (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies

8. AIX

AIX server running very slow

Hello, All the commands on AIX are running very slow. Below is few stats but I didn't find any issue in cpu or memory reosurces vmstat System configuration: lcpu=4 mem=6144MB ent=1.00 kthr memory page faults cpu ----- -----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
2 Replies
SYSTEMD-CGTOP(1)						   systemd-cgtop						  SYSTEMD-CGTOP(1)

NAME
systemd-cgtop - Show top control groups by their resource usage SYNOPSIS
systemd-cgtop [OPTIONS...] DESCRIPTION
systemd-cgtop shows the top control groups of the local Linux control group hierarchy, ordered by their CPU, memory and disk I/O load. The display is refreshed in regular intervals (by default every 1s), similar in style to top(1). Resource usage is only accounted for control groups in the relevant hierarchy, i.e. CPU usage is only accounted for control groups in the cpuacct hierarchy, memory usage only for those in memory and disk I/O usage for those in blkio. systemd(1) by default places all services in their own control group in the cpuacct hierarchy, but not in memory nor blkio. If resource monitoring for these resources is required it is recommended to add blkio and memory to the DefaultControllers= setting in /etc/systemd/system.conf (see systemd.conf(5) for details). Alternatively, it is possible to enable resource accounting individually for services, by making use of the ControlGroup= option in the unit files (See systemd.exec(5) for details). To emphasize this: unless blkio and memory are enabled for the services in question with either of the options suggested above no resource accounting will be available for system services and the data shown by systemd-cgtop will be incomplete. OPTIONS
The following options are understood: -h, --help Prints a short help text and exits. -p Order by control group path name. -t Order by number of tasks in control group (i.e. threads and processes). -c Order by CPU load. -m Order by memory usage. -i Order by disk I/O load. -d, --delay= Specify refresh delay in seconds (or if one of ms, us, min is specified as unit in this time unit). --depth= Maximum control group tree traversal depth. Specifies how deep systemd-cgtop shall traverse the control group hierarchies. If 0 is specified only the root group is monitored, for 1 only the first level of control groups is monitored, and so on. Defaults to 2. KEYS
systemd-cgtop is an interactive tool and may be controlled via user input using the following keys: h Shows a short help text. SPACE Immediately refresh output. q Terminate the program. p, t, c, m, i Change ordering of control groups by path, number of tasks, CPU load, memory usage resp. IO load. +, - Increase, resp. decrease refresh delay. EXIT STATUS
On success 0 is returned, a non-zero failure code otherwise. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemctl(1), systemd-cgls(1), top(1) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer systemd 10/07/2013 SYSTEMD-CGTOP(1)