Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: formatting output
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting formatting output Post 302470397 by Scott on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 03:31:21 AM
Old 11-10-2010
Hi.

printf would seem to do what you want:

Code:
$ cat PrintTest
while read BAD GOOD; do
  printf "%-15s %s\n" $BAD $GOOD
done < file1

$ cat file1
MISSPELLED: CORRECTED:
whoi who
holee hole
ys yes

$ ./PrintTest
MISSPELLED:     CORRECTED:
whoi            who
holee           hole
ys              yes

This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the output

Hi all, Have the following code(1) producing the results(2 & 3). Would like to know if there is a way to format the two reports created in a similar fashion. IE - The first is formatted nicely as a result of the echo "$xmpbdate $xavgs" >> $xmpbrpt However when I attempt to do the same on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

formatting output

Hi need some advice.. #grep -i hostname test.csv (gives the below output) HOSTNAME,name,host_test,,,,,,,, Now I need to format the above output as below. HOSTNAME: name=host_test Any easy way of doing this using awk or sed or printf? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting Output

Hi I tried running the below awk 'BEGIN { printf ("%s %-51s %s %-7s %s",$var1,$var2,$var3,$var4,$var5)}' from the command prompt and it is not working. Getting the error awk: Field $() is not correct. The source line number is 1. Actually my requirement is to form a string based on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

more help with formatting ls output...

Ok, for a fun project, my goal is to replicate the style of "catalog" on an old apple ] *A 002 SOMEAPPLESOFTFILE B 004 SOMEFILE T 006 SOMETEXT I 002 SOMEINTEGERFILE The first character is either " " or "*" depending on if the file is locked or not. Next is the filetype, so in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: patrick99e99
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting ls output

I am using find and ls to search for "warez" files on my server. find /home/ -regex ".*\.\(avi\|mp3\|mpeg\|mpg\|iso\)" -print0 | xargs -0 ls -oh This command produces this: -rw-r--r-- 1 1000 3.2M Feb 18 2009 /home/user/public_html/lupus.mp3 I want to only get this 3.2M... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonrad
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting of output

Hi Experts, I have to create a report for certain audit and my output looks as follows I m trying to format my output to look like Any inputs would be highly appreciated Thanks Syed (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output Formatting

Hi Guys I need help removing some lines from output i am receiving from a shell script. Here is the output: http://i52.tinypic.com/10z0fut.png I am trying to remove the output that i have circled. . ${EDW}/extracts/bin/extracts_setup2.sh . ${EDW}/extracts/extracts.conf ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mooey1232003
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the output

Hi, I have a file which contents entries in this form. Only in /data4/temp abc.000001 Only in /data4/temp abc.000003 Only in /data4/temp abc.000012 Only in /data4/temp abc.000120 Only in /data4/temp abc.000133 Only in /data4/temp abc.001444 i want to read line by line and format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
2 Replies

9. AIX

Help Formatting Output

I am using FORTRAN 90 on AIX 5.3 and need to output my data to a tab-delimited file. It must have actual tabs, and I cannot figure out a way to make it work. The resulting file will be imported into another application (quickbooks) as an .iif file....for some reason, it needs the tabs; spaces do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KathyB148
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting the Output

Hi, I am trying to use printf command and format certain output in a specific format as under: While the left side (upto |) of the above format is part of a fixed header function, the right side is where i am expecting data to be printed. However, as seen, Row1 value is reflecting on last... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
5 Replies
FDFORMAT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       FDFORMAT(1)

NAME
fdformat -- format floppy disks SYNOPSIS
fdformat [-F fill] [-f fmt] [-s fmtstr] [-nqvy] device DESCRIPTION
The fdformat utility formats a floppy disk at device, where device may either be given as a full path name of a device node for a floppy disk drive (e.g. /dev/fd0), or using an abbreviated name that will be looked up under /dev (e.g. ``fd0''). The options are as follows: -F fill Use fill as the fill byte for newly formatted sectors. The fill argument must be a number in the range 0 through 255 using common C language notation. The default value is ``0xf6''. -f fmt Specify the density settings for a fmt kilobyte format, as described in fdcontrol(8). -s fmtstr Specify the density settings using explicit parameters, as described in fdcontrol(8). -n Do not verify floppy after formatting. -q Suppress any normal output from the command, and do not ask the user for a confirmation whether to format the floppy disk at device. -v Do not format, verify only. -y Do not ask for confirmation whether to format the floppy disk but still report formatting status. For non-autoselecting subdevices, neither -f fmt nor -s fmtstr may be specified, since the preconfigured media density settings from the ker- nel driver will always be used. However, if device is a device with automatic media density selection (see fdc(4)), both methods can be used to override the density settings for the newly formatted medium (without permanently changing the density settings of device). If the -q flag has not been specified, the user is asked for a confirmation of the intended formatting process. In order to continue, an answer of 'y' must be given. Note that fdformat does only perform low-level formatting. In order to create a file system on the medium, see the commands newfs(8) for a UFS file system, or newfs_msdos(8) for an MS-DOS (FAT) file system. EXIT STATUS
An exit status of 0 is returned upon successful operation. Exit status 1 is returned on any errors during floppy formatting, and an exit status of 2 reflects invalid arguments given to the program (along with an appropriate information written to diagnostic output). DIAGNOSTICS
Unless -q has been specified, a single letter is printed to standard output to inform the user about the progress of work. First, an 'F' is printed when the track is being formatted, then a 'V' while it is being verified, and if an error has been detected, it will finally change to 'E'. Detailed status information (cylinder, head and sector number, and the exact cause of the error) will be printed for up to 10 errors after the entire formatting process has completed. SEE ALSO
fdc(4), fdcontrol(8), newfs(8), newfs_msdos(8) HISTORY
The fdformat utility has been developed for 386BSD 0.1 and upgraded to the new fdc(4) floppy disk driver. It later became part of the FreeBSD 1.1 system. Starting with FreeBSD 5.0, it uses the unified density specifications as described in fdcontrol(8). AUTHORS
The program has been contributed by Jorg Wunsch, Dresden, with changes by Serge Vakulenko and Andrey A. Chernov, Moscow. BSD
December 25, 2001 BSD