Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Email engine cron problem.
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Email engine cron problem. Post 302470372 by thegeek on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 01:04:17 AM
Old 11-10-2010
do some logging from the process...

That is by, adding print statement for PID and check whether it gets the correct PID. And the script has the required permissions to kill that process.
This User Gave Thanks to thegeek For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

email when cron fails

I have a cronjob scheduled to run everyday. How can I obtain an email if and only if the cronjob fails? I am using Sun Solaris (ksh). :rolleyes: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: inpavan
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Email Problem

I have two different cron jobs that run on the same days. The jobs are 7 hours apart. Both jobs are set to send notification emails when they start running. Both jobs always run successfully, but I only receive an email from the first job. I never get the email from the second job. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasaliasim
0 Replies

3. AIX

Problem with Cron Email Notification

I have two different cron jobs that run on the same days. The jobs are 7 hours apart. Both jobs are set to send notification emails when they start running. Both jobs always run successfully, but I only receive an email from the first job. I never get the email from the second job. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sasaliasim
1 Replies

4. AIX

Cron Job notification email

Hi, I'm fairly new to Aix and am looking for some help on the following. I have setup a cron job under root and want it to send the email once it's run to an external email address. I can get it to send the output in an email to me by using mail on the end of the crontab entry. But I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: elmesy
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron to delete email help needed

I would like to know if I can place a cron job (and what it might be of course) to delete all the mail in an inbox? Here are the servers specs: Operating systemLinuxService StatusClick to ViewKernel version2.6.28.9Machine Typei686Apache version2.2.11 (Unix)PERL version5.8.8Path to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markmatu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron Job Automated Email Alternatives?

Hi guys, not sure if this would be the right place for this but I dont where else it would go... I'm new to Unix too, so please bare with me :) I guess first up some background on the situation. We have some scripts that run as cron jobs which monitor and check the health, etc of our servers.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BrianD
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Email program using CRON

Hi Guys... I have a bulk email program that sends out an email to a subscribed mail list. The list contains around 2000 addresses. My server is Centos 5 64bit PHP 5.2 Mysql 5.1 The program is set to send emails in batches of 100. Cron is set to run every minute Now for the problem:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: countrydj
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Facing problem with installing CF engine software in solaris 10

Dear experts, I am using solaris 10 OS.I am installing CF engine software in the server while doing so ,i am getting following error checking for BerkeleyDB location in default... configure: error: >> Cannot find BerkeleyDB I am installing the Berkely DB 5.3.I am strugging... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I want to send an email after cron job

I am using centos 6.4. I have a few cron jobs setup and they all work fine. However, I would like to enhance one of the crons. This is what I have at the moment: nice rsync -au /home/samba/wsaler/* /home/samba/wsaler.backup/wsaler.backup18pm date | /bin/mail -s "wsaler 3:00pm backup... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: countrydj
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution problem with Cron: Script works manually but not w/Cron. Why?

Hello gurus, I am making what I think is a simple db2 call from within a shell script but I am having difficulty producing the desired report when I run the script shown below from a shell script in cron. For example, my script and the crontab file setup is shown below: #!/bin/ksh db2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: okonita
3 Replies
SHLOCK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SHLOCK(1)

NAME
shlock -- create or verify a lock file for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shlock [-du] [-p PID] -f lockfile DESCRIPTION
The shlock command can create or verify a lock file on behalf of a shell or other script program. When it attempts to create a lock file, if one already exists, shlock verifies that it is or is not valid. If valid, shlock will exit with a non-zero exit code. If invalid, shlock will remove the lock file, and create a new one. shlock uses the link(2) system call to make the final target lock file, which is an atomic operation (i.e. "dot locking", so named for this mechanism's original use for locking system mailboxes). It puts the process ID ("PID") from the command line into the requested lock file. shlock verifies that an extant lock file is still valid by using kill(2) with a zero signal to check for the existence of the process that holds the lock. The -d option causes shlock to be verbose about what it is doing. The -f argument with lockfile is always required. The -p option with PID is given when the program is to create a lock file; when absent, shlock will simply check for the validity of the lock file. The -u option causes shlock to read and write the PID as a binary pid_t, instead of as ASCII, to be compatible with the locks created by UUCP. EXIT STATUS
A zero exit code indicates a valid lock file. EXAMPLES
BOURNE SHELL #!/bin/sh lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock if shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` fi C SHELL #!/bin/csh -f set lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ if ($status == 0) then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` endif The examples assume that the file system where the lock file is to be created is writable by the user, and has space available. HISTORY
shlock was written for the first Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) software distribution, released in March 1986. The algorithm was sug- gested by Peter Honeyman, from work he did on HoneyDanBer UUCP. AUTHORS
Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org> BUGS
Does not work on NFS or other network file system on different systems because the disparate systems have disjoint PID spaces. Cannot handle the case where a lock file was not deleted, the process that created it has exited, and the system has created a new process with the same PID as in the dead lock file. The lock file will appear to be valid even though the process is unrelated to the one that cre- ated the lock in the first place. Always remove your lock files after you're done. BSD
June 29, 1997 BSD