Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Boot Loaders GPT/Protective MBR problem... Post 302470318 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 06:36:50 PM
Old 11-09-2010
Humm, the conversion from GPT to MBR by gdisk is a best-faith attempt only according to the man page. No guarantees, especially if there were no free blocks between the partitions.

You could try the -c option to load the backup partition table but I suspect that it will contain nothing.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete gpt signatures

Hi Can anyone tell me how to delete GPT signatures in linux/unix. Thanks Tannu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

RHEL4 easyRAID problem 2tb gpt xfs

hello community, i have problems with my redhat enterprise linux 4 nanhant 6 and my easyraid x8s (8x1tb) extern fibre channel raid extern raid configuration: raid level 5 (8x1tb) redhat system shows me four 2tb partitions and one 450gb partition from my raid :( why????? i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onkeldave
1 Replies

3. Fedora

Disk Paritioning Scheme--GPT or MBR

Hi, I just built myself a new machine which has an ASUS motherboard with is UEFI based. I noticed after I installed Fedora 17 that my sda is MBR and my sdb is GPT: sda is a ssd drive. Should the ssd drive be GPT or is MBR okay? sda is 60Gb drive. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Installing Windows 7 on a GPT drive

Hello, My hard drive was formatted with GPT. It is part of a volume group and has two logical volumes on it. Is it possible to convert the drive to MBR? If so, how would I got about doing it? I know there are programs out there that do it, but I have volume groups with LVM's so I am wondering if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

GPT Partitions

(Don't you hate being on holiday and being the only IT person in the family?) Got a wonderful thanksgiving surprise .. dead windows-8 laptop with "important" unbacked-up data. No worries, I have my my fedora labtop and a magical SATA to USB converter. Plugged in the drive, and ... can't mount... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derekludwig
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

2nd hdd is Linux_lvm can't mount MBR on BSD with GPT

rying it this way, because I can't handle the slices for the second hdd. If there is someone on this forum who can help me out of that misery, he would really save my digital life in this digital ocean. So not giving up, reading several times the manual of gpart. But the best hint in all that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
MBRLABEL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       MBRLABEL(8)

NAME
mbrlabel -- update disk label from MBR label(s) SYNOPSIS
mbrlabel [-fqrw] [-s sector] device DESCRIPTION
mbrlabel is used to update a NetBSD disk label from the Master Boot Record (MBR) label(s) found on disks that were previously used on DOS/Windows systems (or other MBR using systems). mbrlabel scans the MBR contained in the very first block of the disk (or the block specified through the -s flag), then walks through every extended partition found and generates additional partition entries for the disk from the MBRs found in those extended partitions. Each MBR partition which does not have an equivalent partition in the disk label (equivalent in having the same size and offset) is added to the first free partition slot in the disk label. A free partition slot is defined as one with an fstype of 'unused' and a size of zero ('0'). If there are not enough free slots in the disk label, a warning will be issued. The raw partition (typically partition c, but d on i386 and some other platforms) is left alone during this process. By default, the proposed changed disk label will be displayed and no disk label update will occur. Available options: -f Force an update, even if there has been no change. -q Performs operations in a quiet fashion. -r In conjunction with -w, also update the on-disk label. -s sector Specifies the logical sector number that has to be read from the disk in order to find the MBR. Useful if the disk has remapping drivers on it and the MBR is located in a non-standard place. Defaults to 0. -w Update the in-core label if it has been changed. See also -r. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), dkctl(8), fdisk(8), mbr(8) HISTORY
The mbrlabel command appeared in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
April 5, 2010 BSD