Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Boot Loaders GPT/Protective MBR problem... Post 302470318 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 06:36:50 PM
Old 11-09-2010
Humm, the conversion from GPT to MBR by gdisk is a best-faith attempt only according to the man page. No guarantees, especially if there were no free blocks between the partitions.

You could try the -c option to load the backup partition table but I suspect that it will contain nothing.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete gpt signatures

Hi Can anyone tell me how to delete GPT signatures in linux/unix. Thanks Tannu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tannu
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

RHEL4 easyRAID problem 2tb gpt xfs

hello community, i have problems with my redhat enterprise linux 4 nanhant 6 and my easyraid x8s (8x1tb) extern fibre channel raid extern raid configuration: raid level 5 (8x1tb) redhat system shows me four 2tb partitions and one 450gb partition from my raid :( why????? i have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: onkeldave
1 Replies

3. Fedora

Disk Paritioning Scheme--GPT or MBR

Hi, I just built myself a new machine which has an ASUS motherboard with is UEFI based. I noticed after I installed Fedora 17 that my sda is MBR and my sdb is GPT: sda is a ssd drive. Should the ssd drive be GPT or is MBR okay? sda is 60Gb drive. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Installing Windows 7 on a GPT drive

Hello, My hard drive was formatted with GPT. It is part of a volume group and has two logical volumes on it. Is it possible to convert the drive to MBR? If so, how would I got about doing it? I know there are programs out there that do it, but I have volume groups with LVM's so I am wondering if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mojoman
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

GPT Partitions

(Don't you hate being on holiday and being the only IT person in the family?) Got a wonderful thanksgiving surprise .. dead windows-8 laptop with "important" unbacked-up data. No worries, I have my my fedora labtop and a magical SATA to USB converter. Plugged in the drive, and ... can't mount... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: derekludwig
4 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

2nd hdd is Linux_lvm can't mount MBR on BSD with GPT

rying it this way, because I can't handle the slices for the second hdd. If there is someone on this forum who can help me out of that misery, he would really save my digital life in this digital ocean. So not giving up, reading several times the manual of gpart. But the best hint in all that... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
0 Replies
SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)				    systemd-gpt-auto-generator				     SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)

NAME
systemd-gpt-auto-generator - Generator for automatically discovering and mounting /home as well as discovering and enabling swap partitions, based on GPT partition type GUIDs. SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/systemd/system-generators/systemd-gpt-auto-generator DESCRIPTION
systemd-gpt-auto-generator is a generator that automatically discovers /home and swap partitions and creates mount and swap units for them, based on the the partition type GUIDs of GUID partition tables (GPT). Note that this generator will execute no operation on non-GPT systems, on systems where the units are explicitly configured (for example, listed in fstab(5)) or where the mount point is non-empty. This generator will only look for partitions on the same physical disk the root file system is stored on. This generator has no effect on systems where the root file system is distributed on multiple disks, for example via btrfs RAID. This generator is useful for centralizing file system configuration in the partition table and making manual configuration in /etc/fstab or suchlike unnecessary. This generator looks for swap partitions using GPT type 0657fd6d-a4ab-43c4-84e50933c84b4f4f. It looks for /home partitions using GPT type 933ac7e1-2eb4-4f13-b8440e14e2aef915. systemd-gpt-auto-generator implements the generator specification[1]. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd.mount(5), systemd.swap(5), systemd-efi-boot-generator(8), fstab(5) NOTES
1. generator specification http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Generators systemd 208 SYSTEMD-GPT-AUTO-GENERATOR(8)