Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Making a hash map from a records file Post 302470262 by rdettwyler on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 07:01:18 PM
Old 11-09-2010
I suppose I wasn't as clear as I could have been

I have found another way and require a little more help.
data.txt consists of records like
Code:
12345,ABCDE
23456,BCDEF
34567,CDEFG
45678.DEFGH

I run the following:
Code:
perl -pi -e "s/^/\{"\'"/" data.txt
perl -pi -e 's/^/\$map/' data.txt
perl -pi -e "s/\,/\'\} \= \'/" data.txt

and get:
Code:
$map{'12345'} = 'ABCDE

and need a single quote at the end, followed by semi-colon.

I realize that this is easy for you all but I'll be damned if I can get it right :-)

Thanks again,
Rick

---------- Post updated at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:22 PM ----------

Hi again. So, here is the really weird thing.
$ /usr/bin/perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for i386-linux-thread-multi.....

However, when I run
$ perl -pi -e 's/$/FOO/' bar.txt

and bar.txt contains
Code:
12345,ABCDE

I get
Code:
FOO45,ABCDE

Honest. What do I do? This is replacing the beginning of the line and not the end. I am confuzelled.

Thanks, Rick
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Once again - please use code tags

Last edited by vgersh99; 11-09-2010 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: Code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count No of Records in File without counting Header and Trailer Records

I have a flat file and need to count no of records in the file less the header and the trailer record. I would appreciate any and all asistance Thanks Hadi Lalani (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print Entire hash list (hash of hashes)

I have a script with dynamic hash of hashes , and I want to print the entire hash (with all other hashes). Itried to do it recursively by checking if the current key is a hash and if yes call the current function again with refference to the sub hash. Most of the printing seems to be OK but in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alalush
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Hash:Can not keep hash data in the same order that it was inserted

Can Someone explain me why even using Tie::IxHash I can not get the output data in the same order that it was inserted? See code below. #!/usr/bin/perl use warnings; use Tie::IxHash; use strict; tie (my %programs, "Tie::IxHash"); while (my $line = <DATA>) { chomp $line; my(... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jgfcoimbra
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

hash map Illegal division by zero problem

Hi Everyone, a.txt line1;a;33 line1;c;22 line1;b;0 line1;a;55 a.pl #!/usr/bin/perl use strict; use warnings; my @sorted=(); my @tmp; my $FA; my @F; (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep specific records from a file of records that are separated by an empty line

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to Linux stuff. I have this kind of problem which couldn't solve alone. I have a text file with records separated by empty lines like this: ID: 20 Name: X Age: 19 ID: 21 Name: Z ID: 22 Email: xxx@yahoo.com Name: Y Age: 19 I want to grep records that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Atrisa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting duplicate records from file 1 if records from file 2 match

I have 2 files "File 1" is delimited by ";" and "File 2" is delimited by "|". File 1 below (3 record shown): Doc1;03/01/2012;New York;6 Main Street;Mr. Smith 1;Mr. Jones Doc2;03/01/2012;Syracuse;876 Broadway;John Davis;Barbara Lull Doc3;03/01/2012;Buffalo;779 Old Windy Road;Charles... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vestport
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically parse BibTeX and create hash of hash

Hello gurus, Iam trying to parse following BibTex file (bibliography.bib): @book{Lee2000a, abstract = {Abstract goes here}, author = {Lee, Wenke and Stolfo, Salvatore J}, title = {{Data mining approaches for intrusion detection}}, year = {2000} } @article{Forrest1996, abstract =... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Separate records of a file on 2 types of records

Hi I am new to shell programming in unix Please if I can provide help. I have a file structure of a header record and "N" detail records. The header record will be the total number of detail records I need to split the file in 2: One for the header Another for all detail records Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamcogar
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to print hash of hash in table format

Hi, I have a hash of hash where it has name, activities and count i have data like this - $result->{$name}->{$activities} = $value; content of that are - name - robert tom cat peter activities - running, eating, sleeping , drinking, work i need to print output as below ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asak
3 Replies