Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers PC User/UNIX Novice - Where do I start? Post 302470238 by Jakob on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 02:05:35 PM
Old 11-09-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Personally I'd suggest neither. Dual boot can be dicey -- any mistake in setting up either environment may well ruin both
I agree! Although I do dualboot with Ubuntu & Windows , but I've had to reinstall many times before I learned how to do it correctly. :P

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Hi I M Novice User

hi everyone i m a novice user . just want to know how to use this website and also learn unix from the basics. can any one help me please.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MSK
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix scripting-Need help-NOVICE -PLEASE HELP

I really want to get into unix scripting,work with RS6000 -AIX. How do i get started,what books are good for beginners,i am very desperate I have no programming background but ready to scrafice all my time in learning .please help. PLEASE,PLEASE PLEASE ,HELP.... Any advice will realy... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghanaman
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Novice - File Manipulation

Hi, I am brand new to unix and am hoping someone can start me in the right direction. I want to be able to put the results of a file command such as wc -l filename into a variable which I can then use to test against another variable...i.e. I need to show the nth line of a file, but need to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmullane
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

start a program with other user's permission

I have some of programs in unix system which are to started with one_user say "xxxx". I have sudo permission if i start these programs with sudo it shows root permission. But i want these programs permession should be "xxxx". I tried "su user_name -c Program_name" but it is not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srikanthus2002
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start a service as user

Hi I need a service to be start as user after a reboot. My script in /etc/init.d contain the following: start() { su - $USER cd ${INSTALL_PATH}/bin ./MyApp -X exit return 0 } This function stops after su - $USER, I get user shell, and only if I manualy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NEW to Unix (novice)

Heya all Im just reading up on the solaris o/s and unix and i just have the following qustions 1) is the solaris o/s the same as Unix if not how are they different - i.e. are they different operating systems? 2) Can the Unix be loaded from CD without affectin windows o/s just like linux... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: new214
2 Replies

7. Solaris

How to start CDE for non root user on Solaris 10

Hi, How can I start CDE for non root user created.For root CDE is working fine but for non root user CDE exits back to login screen after trying for some time.Also I cant see .dt and .dtprofile files in the users home directory.How can I create them.Kindly help. Thanks & Regards, Kiran. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kiranherekar
1 Replies

8. Programming

Novice in C needs help

Guys can you help me ? I'm novice in C but I have a lot of will to master C. Each gurney starts with first step O.K. My problem is to compare two integers entered by user I know how to set up conditions and problem is how to print correct value (grater number) // This program... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start script when a user starts a remote session

Howdy, I'm fairly new at bash scripting, but (for some reason) I've been tasked with building a bastion server and logging all (ssh/telnet) remote activity. Each session must create a unique log file - the name of each file must include the user ID, the connection method (ssh/telnet), the name... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kilo90
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

User (Profile) Specific Start Menu for RHEL 6.1 using KDE 4.3.4

I installed RHEL 6.1 with KDE 4.3.4 using LDAP on a PC and have now the problem to specifiy a user/Profile specific start menu. I have used already the kmenuedit tool and tailored for one user a specific menu, successfully. I changed as an example the konsole submenu. The kmenuedit was... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gromit
0 Replies
ppmtopgm(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  ppmtopgm(1)

NAME
ppmtopgm - convert a portable pixmap into a portable graymap SYNOPSIS
ppmtopgm [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces a portable graymap as output. The output is a "black and white" rendering of the original image, as in a black and white photograph. The quantization formula used is .299 r + .587 g + .114 b. Note that although there is a pgmtoppm program, it is not necessary for simple conversions from pgm to ppm , because any ppm program can read pgm (and pbm ) files automatically. pgmtoppm is for colorizing a pgm file. Also, see ppmtorgb3 for a different way of converting color to gray. And ppmdist generates a grayscale image from a color image, but in a way that makes it easy to differentiate the original colors, not necessarily a way that looks like a black and white photograph. QUOTE
Cold-hearted orb that rules the night Removes the colors from our sight Red is gray, and yellow white But we decide which is right And which is a quantization error. SEE ALSO
pgmtoppm(1),ppmtorgb3(1),rgb3toppm(1),ppmdist(1),ppm(5),pgm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1989 by Jef Poskanzer. 10 April 2000 ppmtopgm(1)