Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command to check the CPU usage for particular user Post 302470038 by AB10 on Tuesday 9th of November 2010 04:16:25 AM
Old 11-09-2010
Question Command to check the CPU usage for particular user

Hi All,

Can anybody knows, how to check the CPU usage in percentage for a particular process along with its user and PID?

Thanks in advance!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to determine cpu&memory percentage usage per user

Using HP-UX v11 Need to monitor cpu and memory usage, total for system and separately for each user in command-line mode. Found out next ways to monitor total cpu usage under hp-ux: 1) vmstat, also shows free memory 2) sar -M ps -eo user,pcpu - does not work, means 'user-defined format'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hp-ux-user
4 Replies

2. HP-UX

How to summary one command's cpu usage?

I want to record one application's(like oracle etc...) CPU usage summary. I can filter by "ps". But how to sum? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiarong.lu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

check cpu usage

Hi, Are there previous threads on perl scripts that check the cpu usage and send email whenever this exceeded a certain threshold? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gholdbhurg
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How check the overall CPU usage of the unix server

Hi All, Can anyone help me.. I want to know the command to check the overall CPU usage of the server. Note: I don't want the CPU usge of each and every process. I just want to know thw aggregate CPU utilization of the server. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Selva_Kumar
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

CPU usage per user

Hello everybody, How can we proceed to measure the CPU used par a user on unix HPUX ? there some commands or tools ? Thank you in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlaiti
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is total CPU usage for sar %user+%system+%iowait?

Hi all Can anyone advise/confirm whether total CPU usage when running sar is %user+%system+%iowait or is it %user+%system only? I want to confirm whether I am having a CPU-bound problem or not. This is a single-CPU VMware machine. $ sar 5 20 Linux 2.6.18-238.5.1.el5... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

9. Solaris

How can i restrict user high cpu usage?

HI In my M5000 , one of domain is having SAp installed. from today onwards we are facing some stange issue. when we start SAP application, that particular user is taking 95 % of system CP and renaming 5 % is taken by system . because of this reason application is slow. i have 4 CPU(32... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
4 Replies

10. Linux

Ps command on cpu usage and time

Hi All, Am very new to Linux and unix ...need below help . need to list of process consuming more than 40% cpu and which are older than 10 days of a particular user .... Thanks V (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky456
4 Replies
TASKSET(1)							   User Commands							TASKSET(1)

NAME
taskset - retrieve or set a process's CPU affinity SYNOPSIS
taskset [options] mask command [arg]... taskset [options] -p [mask] pid DESCRIPTION
taskset is used to set or retrieve the CPU affinity of a running process given its PID or to launch a new COMMAND with a given CPU affin- ity. CPU affinity is a scheduler property that "bonds" a process to a given set of CPUs on the system. The Linux scheduler will honor the given CPU affinity and the process will not run on any other CPUs. Note that the Linux scheduler also supports natural CPU affinity: the scheduler attempts to keep processes on the same CPU as long as practical for performance reasons. Therefore, forcing a specific CPU affinity is useful only in certain applications. The CPU affinity is represented as a bitmask, with the lowest order bit corresponding to the first logical CPU and the highest order bit corresponding to the last logical CPU. Not all CPUs may exist on a given system but a mask may specify more CPUs than are present. A retrieved mask will reflect only the bits that correspond to CPUs physically on the system. If an invalid mask is given (i.e., one that corresponds to no valid CPUs on the current system) an error is returned. The masks are typically given in hexadecimal. For example, 0x00000001 is processor #0 0x00000003 is processors #0 and #1 0xFFFFFFFF is all processors (#0 through #31). When taskset returns, it is guaranteed that the given program has been scheduled to a legal CPU. OPTIONS
-a, --all-tasks Set or retrieve the CPU affinity of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID. -p, --pid Operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task. -c, --cpu-list Specify a numerical list of processors instead of a bitmask. The numbers are separated by commas and may include ranges. For exam- ple: 0,5,7,9-11. -h, --help Display usage information and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command with a given affinity mask: taskset mask command [arguments] You can also retrieve the CPU affinity of an existing task: taskset -p pid Or set it: taskset -p mask pid PERMISSIONS
A user can change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to the same user. A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the CPU affinity of a process belonging to another user. A user can retrieve the affinity mask of any process. AUTHOR
Written by Robert M. Love. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Robert M. Love This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
chrt(1), nice(1), renice(1), sched_setaffinity(2), sched_getaffinity(2) See sched_setscheduler(2) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AVAILABILITY
The taskset command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux April 2003 TASKSET(1)