Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: If statement in my prompt?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers If statement in my prompt? Post 302469902 by MrEddy on Monday 8th of November 2010 03:25:37 PM
Old 11-08-2010
If statement in my prompt?

Anyone know how I can do a simple if statement in my prompt? As it is now I run a few commands to customize my prompt using command substitution. What I would prefer is if I could change the color dependent on the results.

So `command` > output > if = 'x' then color=blue else color=red

That way I can make certain problems stand out more and draw my attention to them.

As it is I have a ridiculously complicated prompt that runs numerous commands and generate a 2 line prompt filled with useful nuggets of info.. sometimes I miss something.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Can't get ok prompt

Hi, I'm attempting to reinstall a damaged installation of Solaris 9 (on a SunFire). Connected via serial from a PC. Can't get to the "ok" prompt to launch install from CD. Ctrl+break acknowledges my request for a break, but no prompt. "#." gets me an "sc>" prompt, with several options, but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shonenfan
3 Replies

2. Solaris

OK prompt

Here is a silly question: I have a Sun 220R and I need to get to the OK prompt. I can't hook up a monitor and keyboard to it. Its on a KVM right now and I also have a console connected to it. I can use PuTTY to get to the console and then connect to the 220R from there. How can I get to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hshapiro
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to a prompt a particular value???

Hi i am working with clearcase in my UNIX machine... Accidentally some had ran a script to check out all files in the machine.... Now i am actually trying to uncheck out all those files and had written a script for it.... The problem is that when ever i am trying to uncheck out the files, its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajesh_955
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement - How to write a null statement

In my ksh script, if the conditions of a if statement are true, then do nothing; otherwise, execute some commands. How do I write the "do nothing" statement in the following example? Example: if (( "$x"="1" && "$y"="a" && "$z"="happy" )) then do nothing else command command fi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: april
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How is use sselect statement o/p in insert statement.

Hi All, I am using Unix ksh script. I need to insert values to a table using the o/p from a slelect statement. Can anybody Help! My script looks like tihs. ---`sqlplus -s username/password@SID << EOF set heading off set feedback off set pages 0 insert into ${TB_NAME}_D... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nkosaraju
2 Replies

6. Solaris

ok prompt

There is a number before the ok prompt in OBP between brackets {}. It is 0 most of the time but sometimes it is different number {9} ok or {0} ok What does this number mean and how it gets changed? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
3 Replies

7. Solaris

No prompt!

We have a Solaris 10 machine. Today a weird issue happened. After login remotely via ssh, the motd appeared BUT there was no prompt! The prompt only appears after pressing Ctrl+d or Ctrl+c. Strange behaviour. I have checked /etc/profile and own user .profile, there is no anamoly. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar63
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Change the % prompt to - prompt in UNIX?

how to Change the % prompt to - prompt in unix :wall: ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:38 AM ---------- How To display the last modification time of any file in unix ---------- Post updated at 07:40 AM ---------- Previous update was at 07:40 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manjiri sawant
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt

Hi, on sunfire v890 unable to move from rsc prompt to ok prompt, i have executed the command break. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
LUA(1)							      General Commands Manual							    LUA(1)

NAME
lua - Lua interpreter SYNOPSIS
lua [ options ] [ script [ args ] ] DESCRIPTION
lua is the stand-alone Lua interpreter. It loads and executes Lua programs, either in textual source form or in precompiled binary form. (Precompiled binaries are output by luac, the Lua compiler.) lua can be used as a batch interpreter and also interactively. The given options (see below) are executed and then the Lua program in file script is loaded and executed. The given args are available to script as strings in a global table named arg. If these arguments contain spaces or other characters special to the shell, then they should be quoted (but note that the quotes will be removed by the shell). The arguments in arg start at 0, which contains the string `script'. The index of the last argument is stored in arg.n. The arguments given in the command line before script, including the name of the interpreter, are available in negative indices in arg. At the very start, before even handling the command line, lua executes the contents of the environment variable LUA_INIT, if it is defined. If the value of LUA_INIT is of the form `@filename', then filename is executed. Otherwise, the string is assumed to be a Lua statement and is executed. Options start with - and are described below. You can use -- to signal the end of options. If no arguments are given, then -v -i is assumed when the standard input is a terminal; otherwise, - is assumed. In interactive mode, lua prompts the user, reads lines from the standard input, and executes them as they are read. If a line does not contain a complete statement, then a secondary prompt is displayed and lines are read until a complete statement is formed or a syntax error is found. So, one way to interrupt the reading of an incomplete statement is to force a syntax error: adding a `;' in the middle of a statement is a sure way of forcing a syntax error (except inside multiline strings and comments; these must be closed explicitly). If a line starts with `=', then lua displays the values of all the expressions in the remainder of the line. The expressions must be separated by commas. The primary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT, if this value is a string; otherwise, the default prompt is used. Similarly, the secondary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT2. So, to change the prompts, set the corresponding variable to a string of your choice. You can do that after calling the interpreter or on the command line with _PROMPT='lua: ', for exam- ple. (Note the need for quotes, because the string contains a space.) The default prompts are ``> '' and ``>> ''. OPTIONS
- load and execute the standard input as a file, that is, not interactively, even when the standard input is a terminal. -e stat execute statement stat. You need to quote stat if it contains spaces, quotes, or other characters special to the shell. -i enter interactive mode after script is executed. -l file call require(file) before executing script. Typically used to load libraries (hence the letter l). -v show version information. -P suppress the creation of a standard LUA_PATH variable. Use this if you need to run scripts which conflict with system-installed libraries. SEE ALSO
luac(1) http://www.lua.org/ DIAGNOSTICS
Error messages should be self explanatory. AUTHORS
R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, and W. Celes <lua@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> Debian modifications to the manpage by Daniel Silverstone <dsilvers@debian.org> 2003/04/02 00:05:20 LUA(1)