Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Loop in Nawk Script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Loop in Nawk Script Post 302469891 by Morph797 on Monday 8th of November 2010 02:08:00 PM
Old 11-08-2010
Loop in Nawk Script

I have a script which performs a getline (customer enters data) and a list is returned which has the data that was entered return to them. Then it ends. How can I get this script to return to the begin and ask the question again.

Ths script needs to stop after the list is returned and then hit enter to continue or quit to end.

The getline is in the BEGIN section.

Thank You

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing a for loop variable into nawk

After searching through books and the internet for days I can't seem to find an example of this. I'm trying to pass a variable from a for loop into nawk but can't seem to get all the syntax right. my script (thanks to anbu23 for nawk help) is this: for customers in `cat customers.txt` do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ant1815
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

help need on nawk script

Dear experts I have a big file containing several profiles each flagged with "PROFILE" at the beginning of each one. I am trying to use the following command in cshell to seperate each profile and save each one in seperate file. I wrote a script as following: nawk -v i=0 '{if($1~/PROFILE/)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

NAWK Script not working fine

Hello to all can any one help me out with a nawk script. Actually i am having a shell script which uses nawk pattern searching and it is not parsing the file properly. I have been debugging it since long time, but nt able 2 find the root cause.. If any one can help me out with this one .. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheeraj19584
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put for loop in nawk

Hello All, How i can put loop in nawk. what i want is that i define a variable which contain vlaues like var='1 2 3 4 5' and then define for loop which gives vlaue to nawk one by one to varilable inside nawk and then print it. cat /omp-data/logs/5etr/081121.APX | nawk -v CDNLIST='700 701' ' ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wakhan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error running nawk script

Hi, I was trying to use nawk script given in this link https://www.unix.com/aix/19979-df-output-not-aligned.html but when i do this im getting this error $ df -k|formatDF.nawk -ksh: formatDF.nawk: not found Can anyone help me on this... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: niteesh_!7
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Script not working

Any idea why this isn't working? YESTERF=`TZ=aaa24 date +%b"-"%d | sed 's/-0/--/'` filelist2=$(find /export/home/gen/cks/traces \( -name \*YESTERF\* -name \*DNA\* \) -print | tr '\n' ' ') print "Date/Time,Location,Shelf,IP,Reason,Log Filename" >> $OUTPUT nawk -F':' ' $2 ~... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ther2000
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter to nawk from shell script

I need to parse log files using nawk, but I'm not able to pass script input argument (date) to nawk, for example: ------------ #!/bin/ksh read date nawk -F, '{if($1==date) print $4" "$5}' ------------- Is there a way to pass an argument to nawk from shell script. Many thanks... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: samer.odeh
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass nawk variable to shell within the same script?

Hi All, I tried googling but so far no luck, can someone tell me how pass the variable value used inside the nawk command to shell. In the below script i get the value of $c (without color: Total Executed: " c ") but the printf which is outside the nawk command doesn't print the value or it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Problem - nawk out of space in tostring on

Hi.. i am running nawk scripts on solaris system to get records of file1 not in file2 and find duplicate records in a while with the following scripts -compare nawk 'NR==FNR{a++;next;} !a {print"line"FNR $0}' file1 file2duplicate - nawk '{a++}END{for(i in a){if(a-1)print i,a}}' file1in the middle... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use of -r, grep, nawk in script

Hello Friends, I am new to unix shell, need to understand the meaning of few cmds in below script, #!/usr/bin/ksh FTP_FILE_NAME="$1" if then grep "TRLR@@@@@@" $FTP_FILE_NAME | nawk -F"" '{print $2}' else echo "0" fi what is the use of -r, grep, nawk & -F in above script. Why... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DK2014
2 Replies
after(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  after(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
after - Execute a command after a time delay SYNOPSIS
after ms after ms ?script script script ...? after cancel id after cancel script script script ... after idle ?script script script ...? after info ?id? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is used to delay execution of the program or to execute a command in background sometime in the future. It has several forms, depending on the first argument to the command: after ms Ms must be an integer giving a time in milliseconds. The command sleeps for ms milliseconds and then returns. While the command is sleeping the application does not respond to events. after ms ?script script script ...? In this form the command returns immediately, but it arranges for a Tcl command to be executed ms milliseconds later as an event handler. The command will be executed exactly once, at the given time. The delayed command is formed by concatenating all the script arguments in the same fashion as the concat command. The command will be executed at global level (outside the context of any Tcl procedure). If an error occurs while executing the delayed command then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. The after command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after cancel. after cancel id Cancels the execution of a delayed command that was previously scheduled. Id indicates which command should be canceled; it must have been the return value from a previous after command. If the command given by id has already been executed then the after can- cel command has no effect. after cancel script script ... This command also cancels the execution of a delayed command. The script arguments are concatenated together with space separators (just as in the concat command). If there is a pending command that matches the string, it is cancelled and will never be executed; if no such command is currently pending then the after cancel command has no effect. after idle script ?script script ...? Concatenates the script arguments together with space separators (just as in the concat command), and arranges for the resulting script to be evaluated later as an idle callback. The script will be run exactly once, the next time the event loop is entered and there are no events to process. The command returns an identifier that can be used to cancel the delayed command using after can- cel. If an error occurs while executing the script then the bgerror mechanism is used to report the error. after info ?id? This command returns information about existing event handlers. If no id argument is supplied, the command returns a list of the identifiers for all existing event handlers created by the after command for this interpreter. If id is supplied, it specifies an existing handler; id must have been the return value from some previous call to after and it must not have triggered yet or been cancelled. In this case the command returns a list with two elements. The first element of the list is the script associated with id, and the second element is either idle or timer to indicate what kind of event handler it is. The after ms and after idle forms of the command assume that the application is event driven: the delayed commands will not be executed unless the application enters the event loop. In applications that are not normally event-driven, such as tclsh, the event loop can be entered with the vwait and update commands. SEE ALSO
bgerror(n), concat(n), update(n), vwait(n) KEYWORDS
cancel, delay, idle callback, sleep, time Tcl 7.5 after(n)