Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting last file in a directory in a shl script Post 302469684 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 7th of November 2010 06:13:44 PM
Old 11-07-2010
This is more of a sysadmin problem than a programmer problem.

1. get him to set up sudo for you, such that you can
Code:
sudo su - somespecialuser

This could be pfexec on Solaris 10.

2. set up ACL's or group access on the directory in question, to allow you to mess with the files.

Any script will have a password - expect, here document, etc.

Slightly secure:
If the script runs in production in your username ( or a special username) create
a file with 700 permissions for the user. Put the password in it. Read the password in the script. Or set 700 on the script file and leave the password in it.

sudo is the best choice.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shl script capture a file

need to be able to capture a file with the following conditions: The filenames are, for example, 3526_332840.dat, where 3526 is constant, and 332840 is a sequential number which is always a couple hundred greater than the previous day's file. I want to be able to change this script to acoomplish... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rechever
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a file (one record) in a SHL script

I am trying to read a file in a shl script (only one record) and stored in a variable file_number I got the following read -u $BANNER_HOME/xxxxxxx/misc/EFTSQL.dat file_number file_number2 = $file_number + 1 echo $file_number2 > $BANNER_HOME/xxxxxx/misc/EFTSQL.dat EOF It is not working... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming a file use another file as a sequence calling a shl

have this shl that will FTP a file from the a directory in windows to UNIX, It get the name of the file stored in this variable $UpLoadFileName then put in the local directory LocalDir="${MPATH}/xxxxx/dat_files" that part seems to be working, but then I need to take that file and rename, I am using... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

This code works in the command line but not in a shl script

When I run this code from the command line works spinel.middlebury.edu:/u02/sct/banner/bandev2/middlebury/shl:DEV2$ ls ef* eftseq.dat spinel.middlebury.edu:/u02/sct/banner/bandev2/middlebury/shl:DEV2$ file_seq=$( < eftseq.dat) ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

gzip and encrypted in a shl script

After I move the file to a directory, I need to gzip and encrypted. I never do this in a shl script, I do it from the command line and it works.. cd /home/nelnet spinel:/home/nelnet$ gpg -e 2010_11_07_05_11_xxxxxx_bills.dat.gz `/home/nelnet/.gnupg/gpg.conf' `/home/nelnet/.gnupg/gpg.conf'... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to decrypt a file in a directory (SHL script)

I need to decrypt a file in a directory, I need to write a shl scrip & cron job How I find the files in the directory: the file is like this: dailypayments_sfs_payment_201011151800.dat -d The decrypt command: gpg -o dailypayments_sfs_payment_201011151800.dat -d 20101115 (the date... (7 Replies)
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems coping a file in a shl script

I have the following in a shl script: SCRIPT_PATH="/u01/app/banner/test/skid/plus/"; FILE_PATH="/nfs/mercury/u03/banner/test/skid/log"; LIST_FILE_PATH="/u01/banjobs/TEST"; SCRIPT_NAME="szpcal1.sql"; FILE_NAME='new_applicant_list'; I want to copy the file FILE_NAME to LIST_FILE_PATH ... (10 Replies)
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script which removes files from the first directory if there is a file in the second directory

Script must removes files from the first directory if there is a file with same name in the second directory Script passed to the two directories, it lies with them in one directory: sh script_name dir1 dir2 This is my version, but it does not work :wall: set - $2/* for i do set -... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SLAMUL
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting-I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory

I need a script which should watch a directory for a file with specific directory. If it finds a file in directory, it should search for few specific keyword in the file. if the keyword exists, it should trim string from specific column. The file should be moved to another directory and the a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: akashdeepak
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies
GSHADOW(5)                                                 File Formats and Conversions                                                 GSHADOW(5)

NAME
gshadow - shadowed group file DESCRIPTION
/etc/gshadow contains the shadowed information for group accounts. This file must not be readable by regular users if password security is to be maintained. Each line of this file contains the following colon-separated fields: group name It must be a valid group name, which exist on the system. encrypted password Refer to crypt(3) for details on how this string is interpreted. If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, users will not be able to use a unix password to access the group (but group members do not need the password). The password is used when a user who is not a member of the group wants to gain the permissions of this group (see newgrp(1)). This field may be empty, in which case only the group members can gain the group permissions. A password field which starts with an exclamation mark means that the password is locked. The remaining characters on the line represent the password field before the password was locked. This password supersedes any password specified in /etc/group. administrators It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Administrators can change the password or the members of the group. Administrators also have the same permissions as the members (see below). members It must be a comma-separated list of user names. Members can access the group without being prompted for a password. You should use the same list of users as in /etc/group. FILES
/etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
gpasswd(5), group(5), grpck(8), grpconv(8), newgrp(1). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 GSHADOW(5)