Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? A chronology of computing power Post 302469657 by Corona688 on Sunday 7th of November 2010 01:08:43 PM
Old 11-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by figaro
Perhaps grid storage or cloud storage will replace the majority of local storage in the next 10 years, even for home computers.
There'll have to be a whole new communications revolution before traffic over the internet becomes as fast as traffic over a local bus. Though I'm sure Gates will love the licensing opportunities and sheer control of remote Windows booting.
Quote:
By 2042 there may be no HDD needed for any computer as mechanical devices for storage will have been replaced by other means of storage, making these numbers meaningless.
Que? What else will it be measured in?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

computing go/no-go dates in script

I am working on a bash script to backup selected servers and am trying to come up with a simpler solution to this problem: Each server to be backed up has a config file that is read by the script, in the config file are the following values: LEVEL0=12 #this is the day of the month on which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
3 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Trusted Computing

About a year ago, a friend of mine who worked on the OReilly Snort book took a propsal he and I had worked on for a book on Trusted Computing. Though the editor thought the content was good and worthwhile, he felt that there wasn't enough of a market to justify printing such a work. How many... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kduffin
0 Replies

3. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Event Cloud Computing - IBM Turning Data Centers Into ?Computing Cloud?

Tim Bass Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:55:07 +0000 *I predict we may experience less*debates*on the use of the term “event cloud”*related to*CEP in the future, now that both IBM and Google* have made announcements about “cloud computing” and “computing cloud”, IBM Turning Data Centers Into ‘Computing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

how to do GRID COMPUTING?

Hello, I want to know how to combine the processing power of given 2 FEDORA machines in LAN. Can you please tell me the commands,etc used to perform such an operations.Can you please give me the links where I can find more info on this topic. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsharath
5 Replies

5. Programming

Computing an MD5Sum in C

Is it possible to call the unix command md5sum from within a C program. I am trying to write a C program that scans a directory and computes the MD5Sum of all the files in the directory. Whenever I use md5sum 'filename' I get the error 'md5sum undeclared'. Is there a header file or some library... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
3 Replies
LONGRUN(1)						      General Commands Manual							LONGRUN(1)

NAME
Transmeta(TM) Crusoe(TM) LongRun(TM) utility SYNOPSIS
longrun [-c device] [-m device] [-hlpv] [-f flag] [-s low high] DESCRIPTION
The longrun utility is used to control and query LongRun settings on Transmeta Crusoe processors. -c device Set the CPUID device. The default CPUID device is /dev/cpu/0/cpuid. -m device Set the MSR device. The default CPUID device is /dev/cpu/0/msr. -h Print help. -l List LongRun information about available performance levels for the CPU. The following values are reported on all Transmeta CPUs that implement LongRun. % An available performance level, expressed as a percentage of range of available core CPU frequencies. 0 corresponds to the lowest available frequency and 100 corresponds to the highest. MHz The core CPU frequency at that level. Volts The core CPU voltage at that level. usage The power usage relative to the maximum performance level. -p Print current LongRun settings and status: whether LongRun is enabled, whether LongRun Thermal Extensions are active, the current LongRun performance window (expressed as a percentile range), the current LongRun performance level (expressed as a percentile), and the current LongRun flags. -v Be more verbose. -f flag Set a LongRun mode flag. Currently, the two supported flags are performance and economy. This controls whether the processor is in "performance mode" or "economy mode". -s low high Set the current LongRun performance window as a percentile range. The low number cannot be greater than the high number. The minimum and maximum performance values accepted by the CPU are 0 and 100, respectively. ENVIRONMENT
No environment variables are used. FILES
This program requires that the Linux CPUID and MSR devices be compiled into the kernel (or loaded as kernel modules), that the CPUID character device be readable, and that the MSR character device be both readable and writable. SEE ALSO
acpid(8), apmd(8), hdparm(8) AUTHOR
Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@transmeta.com> February 14, 2001 LONGRUN(1)