Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Slow Producer - Fast consumer Post 302469319 by jakeo25 on Friday 5th of November 2010 01:04:39 PM
Old 11-05-2010
Slow Producer - Fast consumer

I would like to loop through a set of directories, performing operation(s) on each one. The basic script** is
Code:
dirs=`find . -name .svn -print`

for f in $dirs; do 
   echo "Processing $f directory .." 
done

Fine and dandy, but here is the problem: the find expression must complete before the do ... done begins. The find process is relatively slow. I would like to have the do .. done work on entries as they are appended to the list. So in essence there are two threads, the find works in the background, and the do consumes $dirs until empty.

How would the do .. done loop "know" that the $dirs is still being populated? Maybe this needs to be changed completely using another method.

Thanks in advance.

** Some of you will recognize the ".svn", as Subversion stores additional copies of data on the local machine in ".svn" directories.

Last edited by vbe; 11-05-2010 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Code tags please

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Producer/Consumer

Hi all, I have an Producer/Consumer program in C(using shared memory and semaphores).It is working fine with sleep calls after every read/write operation.Each one is a independent program.Now if i remove the sleep calls in consumer,it goes on waiting in the loop till the producer puts some valid... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: poorni_uma
3 Replies

2. Programming

producer-consumer problem

The intention of the program. Create N threads with 2 shared memories. One shared memory to write, one shared memory to recieve. Consumer creates 2 shared memory to share with producer. I need H threads for the producer as well(somebody help on it..) Also another question, would segment_id... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joey
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Slow Producer - Fast consumer

I would like to loop through a set of directories, performing operation(s) on each one. The basic script** is dirs=`find . -name .svn -print` for f in $dirs; do echo "Processing $f directory .." done Fine and dandy, but here is the problem: the find expression must complete... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakeo25
2 Replies

4. Programming

producer consumer

Control two exclusively shared resources. The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the code. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gokult
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

producer consumer

Control two exclusively shared resources. The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the code. ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

producer consumer

Control two exclusively shared resources(semaphore). The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

7. Programming

producer consumer semaphore

Control two exclusively shared resources(semaphore). The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

producer consumer

Control two exclusively shared resources. The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the code. ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

producer consumer semaphore

Control two exclusively shared resources(semaphore). The two resources are two files. The producer will write even numbers to one file, and odd numbers to another one. The consumer respectively reads from each file until it gets 5 even numbers and 5 odd numbers. Can any one help me with the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Abnormal producer consumer problem driving me nuts

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: normally, i hate asking someone to do my homework for me but am getting desperate right now. i have a project... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alexantosh
1 Replies
SVN-INJECT(1)							 Command reference						     SVN-INJECT(1)

NAME
svn-inject - puts a Debian source package into Subversion repository SYNOPSIS
svn-inject [options] package.dsc repository_URL OPTIONS
svn-inject accepts the following options on the command-line: -h print the help menu -v Make the command output verbose Default: Off. -q Hide less important messages Default: Off. -l Layout type. 1 (default) means package/{trunk,tags,branches,...} scheme, 2 means the {trunk,tags,branches,...}/package scheme. Default: 1 -t directory Specify the directory where the .orig.tar.gz files are stored on the local machine. Default: Off. -d | --do-like=directory Looks at the working directory of some other package and uses its base URL, tarball storage directory and similar checkout target directory. Default: Off. -c number Checkout nothing (0), trunk directory (1) or everything (2) when the work is done. Default: 1 -o Only keep modified files under SVN control (including the debian/ directory), track only parts of upstream branch Default: Off. -O | --no-branches Do not create the branches subdirectory at all. This works in a similar way to -o but all changes on upstream files (e.g. meta changes like updating the config.guess and config.sub files) are ignored and the upstream branch is not used. Default: use branches/. -s By default, svn-inject used to create .svn/deb-layout after an inject operation if a checkout followed the inject. Since version 0.6.22 this behaviour is deprecated. With this parameter svn-inject will replicate the old behaviour. This option was provided since it can be useful when creating a local override file. Default: Off. -setprops -set-props Set svn-bp:* props on the debian directory automatically. Default: Off. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/svn-buildpackage/() The svn-buildpackage HOWTO manual svn-upgrade(1) upgrade source package from a new upstream revision. svn(1) Subversion command line client tool dpkg-buildpackage(1) Debian source package tools AUTHORS
Eduard Bloch This manual page was written by Eduard Bloch in roff. Goneri Le Bouder Converted manpages to SGML. Neil Williams Converted manpages to DocBook XML and current Debian maintainer COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Eduard Bloch Release: 0.8.2 May 2009 SVN-INJECT(1)