Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extract a string within a string using a pattern Post 302469182 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 4th of November 2010 11:40:58 PM
Old 11-05-2010
To determine shell:

Code:
$ ps -p$$

If other than AR_ this should work too:

Code:
SOURCE=`echo $file | sed "s/^[^_]*_//;s/_.*//"`

This User Gave Thanks to Chubler_XL For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a string after a pattern using sed

I have a very large file and each line has a pattern and it is not position specific. I need to extract the string after the pattern ****MI* is the pattern in the red color 12 digit number is the sting value in the green color and it ends with ~ e.g. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gunaah
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for string in a file and extract another string to a variable

Hi, guys. I have one question: I need to search for a string in a file, and then extract another string from the file and assign it to a variable. For example: the contents of the file (group) is below: ... ftp:x:23: mail:x:34 ... testing:x:2001 sales:x:2002 development:x:2003 ...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract string from main string and string comparison

continuing from my previous post, whose link is given below as a reference https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 consider there is create table commands in a file for eg: CREATE TABLE `Blahblahblah` ( `id` int(11) NOT NULL... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Append a string on the next line after a pattern string is found

Right now, my code is: s/Secondary Ins./Secondary Ins.\ 1/g It's adding a 1 as soon as it finds Secondary Ins. Primary Ins.: MEDICARE B DMERC Secondary Ins. 1: CONTINENTAL LIFE INS What I really want to achieve is having a 1 added on the next line that contain "Secondary Ins." It... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbeee
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a string between 2 ref string from a file

Hi, May i ask if someone share some command for extracting a string between 2 ref string in a txt file My objective: i had a file with multiple lines and wants only to extract the string "watch?v=IbkAXOmEHpY" or "watch?v=<11 random character>", when i used "grep 'watch?=*' i got a results per... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jao_madn
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern Match & Extract from a string

Hi, I have long string in 2nd field, as shown below: REF1 | CLESCLJSCSHSCSMSCSNSCSRSCUDSCUFSCU7SCV1SCWPSCXGPDBACAPA0DHDPDMESED6 REF2 | SBR4PCBFPCDRSCSCG3SCHEBSCKNSCKPSCLLSCMCZXTNPCVFPCV6P4KL0DMDSDSASEWG I have a group of fixed patterns which can occur in these long strings & only... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search String and extract few lines under the searched string

Need Assistance in shell programming... I have a huge file which has multiple stations and i wanted to search particular station and extract few lines from it and the rest is not needed Bold letters are the stations . The whole file has multiple stations . Below example i wanted to search... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajayram_arya
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To Search for a string and to extract the string from the text

Hi Team I have an huge xml where i need to search for a ceratin numbers. For example 2014-05-06 15:15:41,498 INFO WebContainer : 10 CommonServicesLogs - CleansingTriggerService.invokeCleansingService Entered PUBSUB NOTIFY MESSAGE () - <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kannannair
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract every repeated string between two specific string?

Hello guys, I have problem with hpux shell script. I have one big text file that contains like SOH bla bla bla bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX SOH bla bla bla ETX What I need to do is save first SOH*BLA into file1.txt, save second SOH*BLA into file2.txt and so on.... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: sembii
17 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)