Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Doing a tail in a script and then return back and continue script Post 302469068 by Lakris on Thursday 4th of November 2010 03:05:54 PM
Old 11-04-2010
Hi,
another solution would be to use the tail-function of less, if You have it, which I often recommend as a more flexible alternative. And at least on my machines, the Ctrl-C does not "travel back" to the originating script. It will require an extra keypress (q for quit) but it gives a lot more options for searching and browsing the file. Just use

Code:
less +F -S

instead of tail (or more).

Best regards,
Lakris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continue Script when File Found

Hello All, I am trying to write a script that will only continue executing my script if a file exits. I know the directory of the file, so its just a matter of seeing if the file exists yet. If the file has not yet been created, I want the script to wait 10 minutes (600 seconds) and try again.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jose Miguel
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

continue line in perl script

HI , I am new to the perl , I am using a if condition and in that if condition i am checking 7 variables value. so it continue to second line .And if i user "\" for the continue line it showing error. Example : if(a >9 || b>8 || c> 10 \ d > 11) { print(); } The above statement is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: julirani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to continue script if right word is not entered?

Hello, I am writing a script and in this script, I want to be able to have the script continue running if the correct word is not entered... Here is an excerpt from me script: read request if ; then echo "You have asked for the System Temperature..." cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niconico96
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Error handling,not able to continue the script further

Hi, I am trying to write a script to cleanup files in a log directory .. cd log find Datk** -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; 2> /dev/null Have used the above to clean up files in log directory more then 7 days older. The file can be something like ( auto-generate by some processes and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restart and then continue script

How can I get a script to complete a update, varifiy completion, resboot, and continue with script? Is it possbile to get script to add itself to the "startup application" list #!/bin/bash clear sudo apt-get update #Verify/test the update completed #Reboot #Start/comtinue... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgangcs
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to continue running a script while offline?

Hi there, I'm not really stranger to Linux and shell scripting but I am to servers. Anyway, I usually run scripts on a shared science machine, accessible via ssh. My scripts are usually run with mpi, e.g. mpirun -np 16 ./my_script the things after entering the science machine and running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: matteo86
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f in Case not getting back to select choice

Hi all, Im trying to do multiple things in one script.. firstly ...i am trying to call another script in one script... secondly i am redirecting the output of second script in one file. thirdly i am also using tail -f after the calling of 2nd script. fourthly, all this is implemented in case... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kartik.sh
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

prevent multiple tail in back ground

Dears i have a scrip run in unix that need to use the tail -f command, as below: DATE=`date '+%m%d%y'` tail -f /var/messages | grep "start" >> /export/logs/start_${DATE}.out but the problem that the tail -f will be stop and working in the background in then end of the day (23:59:59)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehero
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

solaris create password in a script and continue

:eek:Below is my code to create a user account but it doesn't take a password automatically. I have to run the password command seperately to do this What I want to do is to be able to accept the password in a script. In linux with the "useradd' command you can give the "-p" flag to accept the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slufoot80
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to continue shell script after exit 0?

Hi, I am writing a shell script where I am sourcing other shell script in that script I have mention exit 0 due to that it is not continue the first script. Except doing any changes to source script is there any way I can continue the my first script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonujatav
3 Replies
Mu-cade(6)																Mu-cade(6)

NAME
mu-cade - chase action game DESCRIPTION
The Physics Centipede Invasion Smashup waggly shmup, 'Mu-cade' Mu-cade is another shoot-em-up game by Kenta Cho. In this game Kenta has introduced physics into his formula of hardcore shooting games. Similar in some ways to Asteroids and Nibbles, the playing area is a rectangular arena in which vessel-snakes have only one idea at the head: expelling the others into the vacuum. You incarnate one of them, and you'll quickly realize the subtlety of the goal: your tail lengthens as you destroy your enemies. OPTIONS
These command-line options are available: -brightness n Set the brightness of the screen. (n = 0 - 100, default = 100) -res x y Set the screen resolution to (x, y). (default = 640, 480) -nosound Stop the sound. -window Launch the game in a window. -fullscreen Launch the game in fullscreen mode. -exchange Exchange a shot key and a cut off key. -rotatestick2 n Rotate the direction of the stick2 in n degrees. -reversestick2 Reverse the direction of the stick2. -disablestick2 Disable the input of the stick2. -enableaxis5 Use the input of axis 5 to fire shots and axis 3 to cut off the tail. (for Xbox 360 wired controller) USAGE
Keep your ship from falling down and push enemies out of the way. Controls: Move Arrow / Num / [WASD] / Stick1 (Axis 1, 2) Fire shots / Hold direction [Z][L-Ctrl][R-Ctrl][.] / Trigger 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 [IJKL] / Stick2 (Axis 3 or 5, 4) Hold a key to open automatic fire and hold the direction of a ship. Tap a key to take a turn while firing. You can also fire shots with the second stick. (If you have a problem with the direction of the stick2, try '-rotatestick2' and '-reversestick2' options. e.g. '-rotatestick2 -90 -reversestick2') (If you are using Xbox 360 wired controller, use '-enableaxis5' option.) Cut off the tail [X][L-Alt][R-Alt][L-Shift][R-Shift] [/][Return][Space] / Trigger 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 Cut off the tail of your ship. This action also wipes out all bullets and you obtain powerful shots for a while. Pause [P] Exit / Return to the title [ESC] Tail multiplier: The tail of your ship becomes longer when you push an enemy out and you get a score multiplier. Extra ship: You earn an extra ship 50,000 and every 200,000 points. SEE ALSO
You can find more about the game on its homepage: Homepage: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/windows/mcd_e.html AUTHOR
Mu-cade has been written by Kenta Cho <cs8k-cyu@asahi-net.or.jp> Mu-cade(6)