Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Doing a tail in a script and then return back and continue script Post 302469027 by markdark on Thursday 4th of November 2010 12:39:18 PM
Old 11-04-2010
Doing a tail in a script and then return back and continue script

Hello all,

I am trying to do a tail in a script. But when I quit the tail my script quits also. This is not what I want. I am struggling to get this done.

PHP Code:
#!/bin/bash

askFile() {
  echo -
"Enter file: "

read FILE
}

doTail() {

tail -"${1}"
}

askFile
doTail 
"${FILE}"
askFile
doTail 
"${FILE}
Above is just a simple example what I am trying to do. As you see I first ask for a file. Then I do a tail on this file. If you now quit the tail by entering CTRL+C the total script stops. But I want it to ask for a file again.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Continue Script when File Found

Hello All, I am trying to write a script that will only continue executing my script if a file exits. I know the directory of the file, so its just a matter of seeing if the file exists yet. If the file has not yet been created, I want the script to wait 10 minutes (600 seconds) and try again.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jose Miguel
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

continue line in perl script

HI , I am new to the perl , I am using a if condition and in that if condition i am checking 7 variables value. so it continue to second line .And if i user "\" for the continue line it showing error. Example : if(a >9 || b>8 || c> 10 \ d > 11) { print(); } The above statement is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: julirani
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to continue script if right word is not entered?

Hello, I am writing a script and in this script, I want to be able to have the script continue running if the correct word is not entered... Here is an excerpt from me script: read request if ; then echo "You have asked for the System Temperature..." cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: niconico96
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Error handling,not able to continue the script further

Hi, I am trying to write a script to cleanup files in a log directory .. cd log find Datk** -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; 2> /dev/null Have used the above to clean up files in log directory more then 7 days older. The file can be something like ( auto-generate by some processes and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restart and then continue script

How can I get a script to complete a update, varifiy completion, resboot, and continue with script? Is it possbile to get script to add itself to the "startup application" list #!/bin/bash clear sudo apt-get update #Verify/test the update completed #Reboot #Start/comtinue... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfgangcs
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to continue running a script while offline?

Hi there, I'm not really stranger to Linux and shell scripting but I am to servers. Anyway, I usually run scripts on a shared science machine, accessible via ssh. My scripts are usually run with mpi, e.g. mpirun -np 16 ./my_script the things after entering the science machine and running... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: matteo86
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f in Case not getting back to select choice

Hi all, Im trying to do multiple things in one script.. firstly ...i am trying to call another script in one script... secondly i am redirecting the output of second script in one file. thirdly i am also using tail -f after the calling of 2nd script. fourthly, all this is implemented in case... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kartik.sh
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

prevent multiple tail in back ground

Dears i have a scrip run in unix that need to use the tail -f command, as below: DATE=`date '+%m%d%y'` tail -f /var/messages | grep "start" >> /export/logs/start_${DATE}.out but the problem that the tail -f will be stop and working in the background in then end of the day (23:59:59)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehero
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

solaris create password in a script and continue

:eek:Below is my code to create a user account but it doesn't take a password automatically. I have to run the password command seperately to do this What I want to do is to be able to accept the password in a script. In linux with the "useradd' command you can give the "-p" flag to accept the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: slufoot80
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to continue shell script after exit 0?

Hi, I am writing a shell script where I am sourcing other shell script in that script I have mention exit 0 due to that it is not continue the first script. Except doing any changes to source script is there any way I can continue the my first script. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonujatav
3 Replies
TAIL(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail - deliver the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [ +-number[lbc][rf] ] [ file ] tail [ -fr ] [ -n nlines ] [ -c nbytes ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Tail copies the named file to the standard output beginning at a designated place. If no file is named, the standard input is copied. Copying begins at position +number measured from the beginning, or -number from the end of the input. Number is counted in lines, 1K blocks or bytes, according to the appended flag or Default is -10l (ten ell). The further flag causes tail to print lines from the end of the file in reverse order; (follow) causes tail, after printing to the end, to keep watch and print further data as it appears. The second syntax is that promulgated by POSIX, where the numbers rather than the options are signed. EXAMPLES
tail file Print the last 10 lines of a file. tail +0f file Print a file, and continue to watch data accumulate as it grows. sed 10q file Print the first 10 lines of a file. SOURCE
/src/cmd/tail.c BUGS
Tails relative to the end of the file are treasured up in a buffer, and thus are limited in length. According to custom, option +number counts lines from 1, and counts blocks and bytes from 0. Tail is ignorant of UTF. TAIL(1)