Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with Removing extra characters in Filename Post 302469014 by Joule on Thursday 4th of November 2010 12:04:44 PM
Old 11-04-2010
Hi again, thanks for quick reply.

I got an error of files being identical. I could have posted the entire list of file names if I had known it will make sense to do so. Anyways, to illustrate, here are the existing filenames:
Code:
ABC_20101.2A.2010_01
ABC_20102.2C.2010_06
ABD_20103.2E.2010_04
ABD_20105.2J.2010_09
ABE_20107.2R.2010_08
ABE_20109.2B.2010_02

Expected Output:
Code:
ABC_20101
ABC_20102
ABD_20103
ABD_20105
ABE_20107
ABE_20107

when I tried to run the code, it gave me the error that pairs of AB* (two ABC, ABD, and ABE) are identical. Hence, it could not proceed with renaming these files.

any ideas please?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing linux/extra partition??

ok, well i never could get my internet connection setup in linux so now it is just wasting space on my system... so, how do i get rid of it and the extra partition made during install?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: justchillin
1 Replies

2. AIX

Removing a filename which has special characters passed from a pipe with xargs

Hi, On AIX 5200-07-00 I have a find command as following to delete files from a certain location that are more than 7 days old. I am being told that I cannot use -exec option to delete files from these directories. Having said that I am more curious to know how this can be done. an sample... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing extra files in dos

Hi, I have same file by name i want to keep only access file and want to delete rest. This is specific to DOS only. Any idea of doing this. I tried so many options but none worked for me. Thanks Namish (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk for removing special characters and extra commas

Hi, I have a .csv file which as empty lines with comma and some special characters in 3rd column as below. Source data 1,2,3,4,%#,6 ,,,,,, 1,2,3,4,5,6 Target Data 1,2,3,4,5,6I need to remove blank lines and special charcters I am trying to get this using the below awk awk -F","... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shruthidwh
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing extra new line characters

Hello, I have a text file that looks like: ABC123|some text|some more text|00001 00002 0003 0004 000019|000003|Item I have searched and found an example to remove the extra new line characters using grep and sed, but it (I think) assumes the lines start with a number and the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: c56444
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing a range of characters in a filename

hi, I have quite a bunch of files with annoyingly long filenames. I wanted to cut the range of characters from 9-18 and just retain the first 8 characters and the .extension. any suggestion how to do it. thanks much. original filename: 20000105_20000105_20100503.nc.asc output filename:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing Extra Folders From a TAR

I use an extremely simple TAR function for files at work and I have a question about cleaning them up. My command is TAR -cvf ExampleTarName.tar then the folder I wish to TAR. When my TAR finishes and I double click it to check it unarchived beautifully (I don't do this with every file, duh)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dogtown24
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra unwanted spaces

hi, i need to remove the extra spaces in the filed. Sample: abc~bd ~bkd123 .. 1space abc~badf ~bakdsf123 .. 2space abc~bqed ~bakuowe .. 3space output: abc~bd ~bkd123 .. 1space abc~badf~bakdsf123 .. 2space abc~bqed~bakuowe .. 3space i used the following command, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra unwanted spaces

hi, i need to remove the extra spaces in the 2nd field. Sample: abc|bd |bkd123 .. 1space abc|badf |bakdsf123 .. 2space abc|bqe |bakuowe .. 3space Output: abc|bd|bkd123 abc|badf|bakdsf123 abc|bqe|bakuowe i used the following command, (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshaa
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing extra lines from file

I have a file where data looks like this: === <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xml xmlns:s='uuid:XYZ' xmlns:dt='uuid:ABC' xmlns:rs='urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset' xmlns:z='#RowsetSchema'> <s:Schema id='RowsetSchema'> <s:ElementType name='row'... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vx04
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)